Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CheyCheyenne

I feel like I know why people obsess about acne...

Yes you. All those people out there who spend every morning counting every pimple, blackhead, scar, etc. I think the reason why some people are like this is because they see acne as their only flaw. If they felt they had other flaws acne wouldn't be their main focus or even that big of a deal anymore. A lot of you act like your life would be completely perfect without acne and that it's the only thing stopping you from accomplishing your goals in life but why???? Why are people letting something as simple as acne hold them back from living a normal life? Is it really that important to have perfect skin and will you die trying to get it? It's just another thing to obsess over. I mean I can see if someone has painful cystic acne that it might be on their mind all the time because of the physical pain. It really seems like you guys are trying to distract yourself with your acne or something...that you're afraid to live your life.

I can't say I don't hate my acne but when you get other problems in your life you realize acne is the least of your worries. While acne is still a physical outside problem that people can see is wrong with me, I have plenty of internal ones that no one knows or cares about.

I'm not going to lie though the more you obsess over acne the worse it gets. The more you stress about it the more spots you'll get. The more products you slap all over your face and shove into your body the worse it will be for you and/or your acne in the long run. I'm not saying this is true for everyone because I've seen some severe cases of acne that hardly even seem worth living through but you have to fight it and it's not by stressing. I believe most acne problems are caused by internal problems and severe acne is probably a sign that there is seriously something wrong going on inside your body. I don't want to say any more as I still don't know enough about acne to come to some massive scientific breakthrough conclusion (although that would be nice haha). Hopefully if you're feeling down and you just read this you can know that everyone can control their acne and it will just take you time to find out what causes your acne/what can keep it under control. I don't think anyone here will have acne for the rest of their life and they may have missed out on many experiences because of it but it's okay. You're not alone in this...Sorry for the rant.

I'm not going to lie though the more you obsess over acne the worse it gets. The more you stress about it the more spots you'll get. The more products you slap all over your face and shove into your body the worse it will be for you and/or your acne in the long run.

this is what i am. but its too late to be reminded.

Edited by lameleah

Yes you. All those people out there who spend every morning counting every pimple, blackhead, scar, etc. I think the reason why some people are like this is because they see acne as their only flaw. If they felt they had other flaws acne wouldn't be their main focus or even that big of a deal anymore. A lot of you act like your life would be completely perfect without acne and that it's the only thing stopping you from accomplishing your goals in life but why???? Why are people letting something as simple as acne hold them back from living a normal life? Is it really that important to have perfect skin and will you die trying to get it? It's just another thing to obsess over. I mean I can see if someone has painful cystic acne that it might be on their mind all the time because of the physical pain. It really seems like you guys are trying to distract yourself with your acne or something...that you're afraid to live your life.

I can't say I don't hate my acne but when you get other problems in your life you realize acne is the least of your worries. While acne is still a physical outside problem that people can see is wrong with me, I have plenty of internal ones that no one knows or cares about.

I'm not going to lie though the more you obsess over acne the worse it gets. The more you stress about it the more spots you'll get. The more products you slap all over your face and shove into your body the worse it will be for you and/or your acne in the long run. I'm not saying this is true for everyone because I've seen some severe cases of acne that hardly even seem worth living through but you have to fight it and it's not by stressing. I believe most acne problems are caused by internal problems and severe acne is probably a sign that there is seriously something wrong going on inside your body. I don't want to say any more as I still don't know enough about acne to come to some massive scientific breakthrough conclusion (although that would be nice haha). Hopefully if you're feeling down and you just read this you can know that everyone can control their acne and it will just take you time to find out what causes your acne/what can keep it under control. I don't think anyone here will have acne for the rest of their life and they may have missed out on many experiences because of it but it's okay. You're not alone in this...Sorry for the rant.

Interesting view point.

Acne is on the surface. As humans we tend to notice what is on the surface first and it takes a very long time to look even deeper.

This is caused by our canabolistic society where any inpefection is highlighted and we are then thrown to the wolves.

Is down to us to give the finger to this cosmetic paradice created by hollywood and the media. Real people just dont look the way they would want us to believe they do.

Edited by Nicky D

I'm 29 year old male and have had acne since 14. Bad acne too. I have rosacea that really messes with my skin probably started with all the crap I have been taking over the years. It really isn't that easy to say "just move on" because everybody sees whats on the outside. This has taken a huge emotional, psychological toll on me both mentally and emotionally. I really wish it was as simple as just living your life but I have to look in the mirror everyday and I don't like what I see.

I'm not saying this is true for everyone because I've seen some severe cases of acne that hardly even seem worth living through..

I don't think anyone here will have acne for the rest of their life and they may have missed out on many experiences because of it but it's okay.

I feel like you totally contradicted yourself with these two statements.

Acne is on the surface. As humans we tend to notice what is on the surface first and it takes a very long time to look even deeper.

This is caused by our canabolistic society where any inpefection is highlighted and we are then thrown to the wolves.

I really wish it was as simple as just living your life but I have to look in the mirror everyday and I don't like what I see.

sadly most of us agree.

We're not that self-absorbed though (well at least I'm not) there are other things that go on in a zit-infested persons mind. There usually are other problems. Everyone has baggage. Acne is just a surface issue, and EVERYONE is allowed to see it. yipee :\\

Edited by mslily009

I'm 29 year old male and have had acne since 14. Bad acne too. I have rosacea that really messes with my skin probably started with all the crap I have been taking over the years. It really isn't that easy to say "just move on" because everybody sees whats on the outside. This has taken a huge emotional, psychological toll on me both mentally and emotionally. I really wish it was as simple as just living your life but I have to look in the mirror everyday and I don't like what I see.

I'm not saying you can totally move on and just forget about it...no that's not really possible. The fact of the matter is you choose to let acne control your life instead of being the boss and saying you're going to control it. Keep searching for ways to cure it and don't give up.

I'm not saying this is true for everyone because I've seen some severe cases of acne that hardly even seem worth living through..

I don't think anyone here will have acne for the rest of their life and they may have missed out on many experiences because of it but it's okay.

I feel like you totally contradicted yourself with these two statements.

I really wish it was as simple as just living your life but I have to look in the mirror everyday and I don't like what I see.

sadly most of us agree.

We're not that self-absorbed though (well at least I'm not) there are other things that go on in a zit-infested persons mind. There usually are other problems. Everyone has baggage. Acne is just a surface issue, and EVERYONE is allowed to see it. yipee :\\

I contradicted myself by saying some acne hardly seems worth living through yet I'm saying you need to look beyond that + look for a cure because I feel that everyone can find it despite putting up with this shit for so long??? I'm just saying I spent my life wallowing in agony over acne when instead I could have looked at what is right in front of me and fixed all my problems by focusing and paying attention to the signs my body was giving me. It just seems like the more people complain about it the more blind sighted and lost they become. Missing out on life experiences isn't the end of the world and it's okay to do once in awhile but the more motivation you have the more likely you will succeed in dealing with this disease. I know it's not like the cure is sitting in front of everyone because it isn't self-inflicted but it's worth a try.

Yeah everyone can see acne but aren't you glad you don't have vitiligo? I saw a woman with it on Dr. Oz and she had to live her life for years walking around with patchy skin that was black and white. At least most of us have our health or we can fix it while we're still young. I know no one likes the "it could be worse speech" but I'd like to be non-negative for once in my life.

For me, I don't see acne as "my only flaw." It IS a very large flaw because acne usually occurs on ymy face..... I think the beauty of women & men is in their faces. I feel sometimes when I have acne on my face and I go out, it distracts people from some of my other "beautiful features" inside and out. So really, I'm trying to work on the outside so people really see past "the superficial crap"

It's like a tattoo. When you have a bunch of tattoos instead of people looking directly at someone's face they automatically zone in on the arm. leg. chest bla bla bla. Growing a little out of acne and a little older, yes, it's not such a big deal as when I was younger. But that all comes with time. It's whatever makes anyone and everyone feel good. If having clear skin makes you feel good, keep staying positive. If it doesn't bother you one bit... more power to you. Keep on trucking :)

you're absolutely right, acne should not control your life. saturday night, i let my acne keep me from seeing some friends who are going back to college soon and i will probably not see them again for at least 6 months, and i havent seen them all summer. but when i was in costa rica, i couldnt just hide in my room i had to be out doing research and field work all the time and it felt great a lot of the time to be ignoring my skin because i had no other choice, and i had a great time. So why do i think i have a choice here? hiding in my house forever is not an option, because i have to go to school and also because i have to LIVE LIFE. physically, acne doesnt do much to stop you from doing that but in a society that values perfection and cleanliness and homogeneity/conformity so much, people with acne are stigmatized and judged (just like everyone who's not a barbie/ken) and that does have a real effect on the choices we are going to make. but it shouldnt be that way. bah.. ok there is no coherence to this post. i am surfing this site obsessing over my skin obviously. but you're right, it is so important to put things into perspective. yes acne sucks and it makes you feel like shit and people judge you but you can still be happy and do everything else you would do otherwise. what a shame it would be if i let my own insecurities cut me off from all my friends. I guess we just have to force people to look past it by NOT thinking about it and not having all that body language of hiding our faces and putting our heads down. we are the ones making this pain into suffering and we are the ones debilitating ourselves. and thats true for a lot of other things too, often things that are actually physically debilitating. thanks Chey!

Wow. I'm offended.

First of all, I'm happy with my life. I would not change anything except my acne. It holds me back.

I go through life thinking why I have been chosen to carry this burden. Noone deserves this.

If I choose to obsess about it? So be it. Each to their own. Who are you to tell people what they can and can't think about themselves. You don't know what is happening beneath the surface.

And the part counting pimples? When I count them and see that there is two less than yesterday, it makes me feel better. I don't know why, it just does.

And further more...

Guest Timehealsall

to be honest, the worst part imo is the scarring that comes with acne.

I mean, actual pimples, if you dont scar, will go away eventually.

But scarring, from what i read on the scar forums, seems fucking permanent.

Oh yea, acne controls my life! whoopdy fucking do!

I know what you are saying OP, and I wish I felt like that when I was in school. When I was 14 / 15 / 16 we didn’t have internet and maybe this place didn’t even exist. So I was left to suffer alone. I think you can get away with it when you are younger

Now at the age of 25, although I don’t have any acne anymore as I know how to control it, with an extremely vigorous regime of precise foods, supplements and products - I HAVE to obsess about it to make sure I don’t get any. Because if I do, it affects my work. when my acne comes back due to me skipping my sups for a week on vacation, and not eating my green smoothes and not taking my doxy etc, I have to suffer 2 or 3 or 4 weeks of fixing it and getting rid of it. as i cannot function at work, i cannot be confident, i cannot manage people properly, i cannot make my peers and colleagues laugh, i cannot be the confident, bright and charismatic character that the client expects me to be given the job i do and the money i get paid. acne seriously fucks with my career. so it MUST be obliterated. i cannot have acne, there is no choice in the matter. i have to obsess about it or i might lose my job. without acne i am myself, with acne i am myself version 2.0. version 2.0 doesn’t talk much, doesn’t look people in the eye, is shy, doesn’t talk in meetings, hides and hopes no one will speak to him in meetings, is shy to bring my ideas forward because of my atrocious face, the list goes on.

I hope you understand

I think maybe the reason so many of us obsess over it is because when you battle this one thing for months or even years and you can't seem to find a way to get rid of it, then yes, it can become an obsession. No, acne is not my only flaw, but I seem to have the power to change my other flaws. Acne is a battle that sometimes no matter how hard you try you can't win. I, myself, have been clear for a while and woke up this morning with like 10 pimples on my face. I look like shit. Does this depress me? Yes, a bit. Do I feel ugly? Yes. I've tried it all. Drug store products, expensive products, changing the way I eat, natural/organic skincare...you name it. Just when I think something is working well here I sit with 10 pimples that I have NO idea where they came from. It's a never ending battle.

I don't think acne is my only flaw, but my skin was clear for about 3 years (until a month ago), and I fixated on other things. Like, my torso is too long. My pores should be smaller. What is wrong with my hair? I wish my eyelashes were longer. My feet are big. Now, thinking about, I realize it was all silly. Especially since I never had a problem meeting men (and eventually my husband) whether I had acne or not. And I couldn't change ANY of the other things I thought about (like my bone structure!), so I hope that when my skin clears, I appreciate my looks instead of finding problems with them!

Much respect for a well thought out, written post miss CheyCheyenne.

But, I simply couldn't disagree more with it. For me, it's always held me back. It's the only thing in my life that has ever held me back. Every battle I've ever had to go through mentally and emotionally comes back to acne and scarring. It's what gave me my depression. It's what robbed me of a life for ten years. Why do "I" obsess over it? Because it's caused my downfall. It turned me into a pissed off person living in isolation. Any glimpse of hope to be happy solely relies on the results of laser therapy. It's not just a part of someone's life, it's everything.

When you see people, and they see you...you know what the fuck they're looking at. That thought will never leave. It's not attractive to anybody.

I appreciate all your heartfelt responses along with some very negative ones as usual. I know our society is based on looks and acne will always hold some people back...unfortunately. I was only saying that the person with acne is the one allowing acne to hold them back.

I don't really let acne define me as a person and despite looking like I have a disease some days, I know I still have to live life. Of course I wish I could be perfect in every way, shape, and form but if I keep trying to get there, it's never going to happen and I am ultimately wasting my time. I do long to be freed from acne and it's scars and redmarks but I guess if I can't get there, so be it.

I'm starting college soon and I AM nervous about what people will think about my skin. However, I have many more self-confidence issues that almost make my skin seem like hardly an issue. Maybe I've used my imperfections as a distraction to keep myself from thinking about acne all these years. I'm not sure. However, I never really started focusing on my acne until I had nothing else to focus on but it. I'd usually look in the mirror, cringe, and move on with my day. I never ever had the confidence to talk to people that I don't know well, acne or not. I choose my friends wisely and don't want anything to do with shallow people as I know they will judge me by the way I look.

I don't really

I wish I could be perfect

I am

I've used my imperfections

I'd usually look

I never really

I choose my friends

I like the way you changed your tone after you pissed everyone off. :)

This thread went from talking about everyone ashamed of acne, and became one of you defending what you said.

When you see people, and they see you...you know what the fuck they're looking at. That thought will never leave. It's not attractive to anybody.

I feel the same way when I talk to people.

I can't evevn look in their eyes sometimes.

i wasnt obsess with acne until people around me make a really big deal out of it. And people referring me like a freak and laughed at me. let me see, i was like 11 or 12 years old.

People probably obsess over acne because it's not considered very normal in today's society of physical perfection being expected of everyone, otherwise they, stereotypically speaking, have some kind of had habit, health problem, hygiene problem, etc. which makes them unlikeable.

Acne is always associated with eating a bad diet, or not washing properly, or being a "stupid" teenager, or a nerd, or just undesirable in general. Also biologically speaking since everyone goes with that, a primitive human would most likely choose a mate with a face that doesn't have pus spots poking out of it for evolution's sake.

That's my take on it anyway.

People probably obsess over acne because it's not considered very normal in today's society of physical perfection being expected of everyone, otherwise they, stereotypically speaking, have some kind of had habit, health problem, hygiene problem, etc. which makes them unlikeable.

Acne is always associated with eating a bad diet, or not washing properly, or being a "stupid" teenager, or a nerd, or just undesirable in general. Also biologically speaking since everyone goes with that, a primitive human would most likely choose a mate with a face that doesn't have pus spots poking out of it for evolution's sake.

That's my take on it anyway.

absolutely spot-on. its all true

I think maybe the reason so many of us obsess over it is because when you battle this one thing for months or even years and you can't seem to find a way to get rid of it, then yes, it can become an obsession. No, acne is not my only flaw, but I seem to have the power to change my other flaws. Acne is a battle that sometimes no matter how hard you try you can't win. I, myself, have been clear for a while and woke up this morning with like 10 pimples on my face. I look like shit. Does this depress me? Yes, a bit. Do I feel ugly? Yes. I've tried it all. Drug store products, expensive products, changing the way I eat, natural/organic skincare...you name it. Just when I think something is working well here I sit with 10 pimples that I have NO idea where they came from. It's a never ending battle.

Totally agree. I respect the opinion of the person who started this topic, but honestly have to disagree with some of the things said. I know acne is not my only imperfection, this is why I can get up in the morning and get my butt to school and not miss out on that because I know it is important. I don't believe that its so simple just to say "just find what causes your acne and it'll go away" if it were that simple none of us would have acne. Trust me, I've changed my diet plenty of times and tried everthing there is and nothing seems to consistanly work for me. My face was super clear this summer and I thought it was because I had given up sodas and juices (i've been drinking nothing, but water for over 4months now) and as soon as the semester got started I started breaking out. I really have no control over my acne...

Acne did drain my life for the better part of three years. Since its departure, I have done so much more and moved forward.

Although for some it is just something to whine about for now, and will be replaced almost instantly post-acne, I really do think that it's a far more detrimental disorder than a whole bevy of others.

One thing I have noticed is that this place is for the most part a negative one. It took leaving it to notice. And that is not to say that there is nothing positive about it.

I guess a lot of people who have acne on these boards have other issues also. When starting this thread I was slightly disheartened because I noticed everybody else only seemed to have one issue in their lives and it was acne. Everybody talks about all the things they would do in life if they didn't have acne. I don't understand this because I suffer from so much more. It seems as though acne is the least of my problems most days although acne has really led to all of my problems (funny how that happens). Anyway I've realized it's not that hard to just get rid of acne. Doing strict diets are very difficult especially in my own situation. I know I probably have some kind of food allergy but I can't seem to pinpoint it on a certain food. Diet changes take so much patience and I don't really possess that type of patience. Nevertheless I won't give up on diet. I have a feeling I will never be able to control my acne with diet alone. There are many times in my life where I have been eating the worst foods and I have been perfectly clear but I know that was because of antibiotics. It's hard to figure out what causes your acne but I suppose cutting out all sugar significantly decreased my inflammation and also improved my digestion. I still get a decent amount of whiteheads and I'm not sure what to try next. It seems hard to live life anymore like I used to though. I can't even go running because my stomach always gets upset from all the antibiotics I've taken. The entire quality of my life has been decreased from acne and it's hard to get past that even if I was to ever find a cure.

Hmm, well my life was perfect before acne

At least I thought it was perfect, which is all that matters.

And i dont meant perfect in a snobby way, just that life couldn't get much better

Now it obviously can.... :/