Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vintageheart

make up problem.. help!

I warn you from the beginning - I'm totally clueless when it comes to make up and acne. But I hope you guys will guide me somehow. First of all, my face is oily and dry with white heads breakouts. My question is.. what foundation is good for not aggravating the acne and what steps are needed before applying the foundation? Also, I'm not following any acne treatments.. Just a cleanser when the dead skin cells are noticeable. Before jumping to the conclusion that I'm not treating my face properly, let's just stay that the 5 years stress of trying to get rid of the acne with zero result were enough for me.

First, you want to wash and moisturize your face with products that are gentle and won't clog your pores. Either Dan's regimen wash and moisturizer, or I would recommend Cetaphil. Moisture is very important so your makeup doesn't become flakey.

As for foundation, step away from the liquids. They will do nothing but clog your pores, creating the need for more makeup. Try a mineral powder like Bare Minerals, Faerie, Jane Iredale, Young Blood, Cover FX, or Everyday Minerals. Even drugstore brands, like L'Oreal and Physicians Formula, offer mineral lines. These come in pressed or loose powder form, but are extremely pigmented and offer great coverage, while not being awful for your skin. You apply them with a basic powder brush, but for more coverage you could use a small concealer brush only on your blemishes, followed by a sweep with a heavy coverage kabuki brush. You do not need to follow this with setting powder.

Hope this helps!

You need to wash/moisturize your face every day, at least twice a day. And look at your labels! The words you should look for are nonacnegenic and noncomedogenic. This means they should not cause acne if you have acne prone skin. The cheap make up lines that are decent are Physicians formula/Almay/neutrogena, the more expensive ones are dermablend and bare minerals.

Also, you can use a noncomedogenic make-up primer, concealer(shade lighter than your skin), foundation, and mascara for a natural look.

Good luck with finding what works for you, don't give up and just try to hide your skin. It took me 12+years to finally find something that works.