Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
happyness

What can a dermatologist do for me?

I'm 38 and still dealing with cystic acne. I went to a dermatologist in my teens and early 20's. All they ever did for me was put me on antibiotics or sulfur for my face. Finally I tried accutane and regretted it. It helped for a couple of years but the acne quickly came back again. I'm just so frustrated and every time I get a nodule healed up another comes on the same day. Currently I'm using bp cream and wash and a sulfur mask every other day. This has my normal acne under control but is doing nothing for the nodules. The reason I'm posting tonight is to find out if there is anything new out there? Is there any point in going to a dermatologist? .

I dont think there is anything new. I have the same experiences no matter who the derm is. Either they will prescribe you topicals and antibiotics or accutane as a last result.

Thanks for the reply. this is such a frustrating condition. I figured that there was not much point. I'm thinking of moving on to light therapy.

There is light therapy they can offer yo but it is very expensive and doesn't work for everybody. You're a woman I am assuming so you should do what I did. They put me on Birth control to help regulate my hormone levels, which was the cause of my acne. they also prescribed me Spiro which decreases oil production. I used to carry around oil blotters 24/7. Now I don't even need them. I am almost 100% clear now. i don't get cysts anymore which means no more red marks. And my pre menstral break out is limited to a few vey small pimples, not really noticeable to anyone other than myself.

In case you don't believe me, I attached a picture of what I look like now.

There is light therapy they can offer yo but it is very expensive and doesn't work for everybody. You're a woman I am assuming so you should do what I did. They put me on Birth control to help regulate my hormone levels, which was the cause of my acne. they also prescribed me Spiro which decreases oil production. I used to carry around oil blotters 24/7. Now I don't even need them. I am almost 100% clear now. i don't get cysts anymore which means no more red marks. And my pre menstral break out is limited to a few vey small pimples, not really noticeable to anyone other than myself.

In case you don't believe me, I attached a picture of what I look like now.

BCP's did help however I'm not allowed to take them anymore since I have been diagnosed with a clotting disorder. The estrogen in bcp's will cause my blood to clot so bcp's are out. I might have to try out this spiro. My face is an oil slick most all the time.

Your skin looks great by the way!

Acne is really a sign of something wrong inside your body. It could be hormones and could be deal with through birth control, it could be a food intolerance that is causing your body to seriously break out, it could be leaky gut that is leaking toxins into your system. Keep trying new things and look into holistic cures especially if you haven't found success with medications thus far. I really think you could have a food allergy but hey I have only dealt with my own acne and I'm not sure about other people's cases but if I could possibly guide you in the right direction I'd be thrilled to know I helped someone out.