Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Smooth Criminal

Any relationship b/t coffee and acne?

Does anyone have any experience with coffee leading to acne, or know of any relationship between the two?

I had very mild acne for about 15 years, and since April or May of 2010 my face has went crazy--40 or more zits at a time, new ones appearing every day, nonstop. One thing I can think of that I have done somewhat differently in that time is drinking one or two cups of coffee every day. (Previously, I might drink a cup every now and then, but not every day.) Just wondering if this could be affecting my skin in some way.

Not sure if this is important or not, but I remember years ago having a sensitivity to coffee. Even part of a cup would upset my stomach. But gradually, I began to really like the taste and drank it anyway, and now my stomach isn't bothered by it anymore. Could it be that the sensitivity is now aggravating my skin instead?

Yes, a lot of people have found that it makes their acne worse. Coffee is linked to heightened cortisol levels. Heightened cortisol levels have been linked to acne.

You should be able to find threads about it using the search function.

Yeah, caffeine affects many people. Even tiny amounts of it. I can't think of the reasons offhand other than it's impact on stress/adrenal function and sleep.

Contrary to popular statement, coffee has absolutely zero bearing on the condition of my skin. I drink a medium sized mug (about 2 cups) of it almost daily and it has yet to cause a single breakout. I do drink decaf, though it was a fairly recent switch. Even when i was drinking caffeinated coffee, it never bothered me.

That doesn't mean it won't bother you as it does create a problem for some folks - especially if you've experienced sensitivity.

I drank coffee for years, then increased the amount. About 3 months ago, I switched to decaf. No difference in my skin! I feel more relaxed, and my blood pressure is back to normal, and am happy I switched, but unfortunately the acne is still coming.