Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hotglue01

Breaking out 13 weeks in?

Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of my 13th week and generally things have been going really well. They still are, because by "breakout" I mean that I have a tiny zit on my forehead, and another on my hairline. I also have two more little pore-sized zits down by my mouth/chin that don't want to go away.

I haven't had a zit on my forehead since May, and it used to be the worst part of my face. Now it's mostly clear even of red marks, but this little zit is concerning... it is next to a site where I used to get big, painful, itchy, recurring zits. I suspect that it was some kind of cyst/nodule (ugh...) because sometimes the pimple would reoccur in the exact same spot. I haven't had a single spot like this in months and months, THANK GOD, but I'm worried that this pimple is a sign of things to come. I mean... actually, I doubt that because the rest of the skin doesn't look like it wants to break out, but yeah. Either way, what should I do?? Smother the sucker in BP like there's no tomorrow?

Oh, and on a side note: my JUST DIAGNOSED chest folliculitis flared up pretty bad this week... like, the worst that it has in 8 months. Luckily it's almost gone, and I've been using Mederma on the sites so they aren't going to leave devastating red marks like before (yay!), but I dunno. It got me REALLY stressed out this week-- more stressed than I've been in months-- and i think that has contributed to these tiny zits.

Here's what else I think:

-I use enough BP, but maybe I'm not gentle enough?

-I sweat a lot

-I've been swimming, so maybe the BP washes off when I do that?

-Not sleeping on a clean pillow case?

-I used Mederma on that red mark left by that itchy recurring pimple... maybe that irritated my skin?

Ideas?? I will NOT, NOT ever go back to the way my skin was. It's hard enough to deal with it now.

Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of my 13th week and generally things have been going really well. They still are, because by "breakout" I mean that I have a tiny zit on my forehead, and another on my hairline. I also have two more little pore-sized zits down by my mouth/chin that don't want to go away.

I haven't had a zit on my forehead since May, and it used to be the worst part of my face. Now it's mostly clear even of red marks, but this little zit is concerning... it is next to a site where I used to get big, painful, itchy, recurring zits. I suspect that it was some kind of cyst/nodule (ugh...) because sometimes the pimple would reoccur in the exact same spot. I haven't had a single spot like this in months and months, THANK GOD, but I'm worried that this pimple is a sign of things to come. I mean... actually, I doubt that because the rest of the skin doesn't look like it wants to break out, but yeah. Either way, what should I do?? Smother the sucker in BP like there's no tomorrow?

Oh, and on a side note: my JUST DIAGNOSED chest folliculitis flared up pretty bad this week... like, the worst that it has in 8 months. Luckily it's almost gone, and I've been using Mederma on the sites so they aren't going to leave devastating red marks like before (yay!), but I dunno. It got me REALLY stressed out this week-- more stressed than I've been in months-- and i think that has contributed to these tiny zits.

Here's what else I think:

-I use enough BP, but maybe I'm not gentle enough?

-I sweat a lot

-I've been swimming, so maybe the BP washes off when I do that?

-Not sleeping on a clean pillow case?

-I used Mederma on that red mark left by that itchy recurring pimple... maybe that irritated my skin?

Ideas?? I will NOT, NOT ever go back to the way my skin was. It's hard enough to deal with it now.

13 weeks, though it doesn't feel like it, is still semi-new to the regimen. I was still getting breakouts the third month in and my skin didn't become completely clear until about the 5 month mark. So try not to stress too much. You have to remember that if you're doing the regimen exactly how it should be used, you may get pimples here and there but your face will never go back to the way it was because the BP acts as an antibacterial to the acne bacteria and though you may get a few spots here and there, your face is pretty much bacteria-free.

When I was 3 years into the regimen, I made the mistake of sleeping in my makeup 4 nights in a row. It was the worst thing I could've done and I got a bad breakout from it. But by bad, I mean I had about 8 small pimples on different areas of my face. Would it have been worse if I wasn't using the regimen? Most likely. If I wasn't applying the BP and stuff, those 8 pimples would probably be about 15 huge cystic ones because before the regimen my acne used to be BADDDD.

The main thing to do is to not worry about your sudden [small] breakout. Once in awhile I'll get a mini breakout too, and I normally pass it off as hormones. The other thing to do is to make sure you are extra, extra gentle to your face so it doesn't break out more. At the moment, I actually have 2 small pimples on my chin that are now going away because instead of washing my face and putting BP on like I normally do, I'm BARELY touching my face when I wash and put BP on. Being extra, extra gentle in times of breakouts is key to getting them to go away. Also, don't be afraid to add more BP.

Your breakout could be caused by a few things:

1) I remember about 3 weeks (or so) ago, you said you went down to using a pea sized amount of BP to cut back on dryness. Sometimes the "2 week rule" (pimples form 2 weeks after doing something) isn't necessarily 2 weeks exactly. When I slept in my makeup for 4 nights, my face didn't retaliate on me until about a month later. Using a pea sized amount of BP isn't a lot at all, so it might be that. The cure for that is to just use the full amount of BP and keep using the full amount of BP. Be extra gentle when putting it on, too.

2) Swimming does wash the BP off; especially if you're swimming underwater with your face underwater. BP isn't waterproof, so if you're swimming underwater it's getting washed off. Doesn't mean to stop go swimming, just when you do try to keep your head above water..at least until your breakout clears up.

3) Dirty pillow cases have given me a pimple or two in the past as well. I, personally, wash my sheets and pillow cases twice a week. And that's due to the fact that I'm OCD with my sheets being clean. Just try to wash them as often as you can. The best way to make good use of clean pillow cases is to turn the pillow around so your face is on the "clean" side of the pillow case, then the following day turn the pillow case inside out and sleep on it again. I do this every night so I'm sleeping on a semi-fresh pillow case every night.

But yeah...like I said, just try your best not to freak out over getting a few pimples. The regimen will keep you decently clear and it's rare that once you're clear you'll go back to having as bad of acne as you did before starting. Hope this post helped a bit and good luck!

Hey Kat,

Wow, thank you SO MUCH for responding, and in such great length and detail. You made me feel a lot better!

Maybe you're right-- I cut back to the pea size for just a few days two weeks ago to help combat the wicked dryness that appeared seemingly out of nowhere. I upped it back to 1.5 pumps a day, though my forehead is starting to feel a little dry yet again... it's not exactly dewy now, and that's what I want. It's just so hard sometimes to stay positive, you know? I'm getting spoiled, because my face without makeup is JUST about the same as it is WITH makeup but that's not good enough anymore. I don't want to feel like I'm hiding anything under makeup anymore... stupid red marks! But they're so much better than they were and I will try my best to NOT complain.

Thanks for the advice. SO, to combat this small breakout (can I even call it a breakout if it's one tiny zit?), I will:

-- put a fresh towel over my pillowcase (I actually sleep with a towel on top... is that OK?)

-- stay gentle, which I am so guilty of NOT doing

-- try not to touch my face at all, which I am also horribly guilty of

-- remember that my acne will NEVER go back to the way it was, because you're right: there is too much BP on my face for that to happen!

Now, my stupid chest folliculitis... luckily it's mostly gone, but yeah. I've got a few more months of red marks on my chest left...