Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So who here has a job?

Ok, now out of you - who got it before their skin got really bad?

Now out of you - who wants to quit their job because of their acne?

My point is I'm curious how everyone here reacts to acne and their job. If you're unemployed, are you avoiding job hunting because of your acne? Or did you quit your job because of your acne? I'm just bored and curious and thought I would ask the question. So reply with your thoughts of acne and your job.

So who here has a job?

My point is I'm curious how everyone here reacts to acne and their job. If you're unemployed, are you avoiding job hunting because of your acne? Or did you quit your job because of your acne? I'm just bored and curious and thought I would ask the question. So reply with your thoughts of acne and your job.

well i found a job while i had acne.at first i was really embarassed to go but than i got use to it:)

So who here has a job?

I have always had acne, since I was about 10 or 11, so I haven't not had acne and gotten a job. I have wanted to quit jobs though because of my acne. Right now I am unemployed and in school full time. My acne is finally clearing up nicely for the first time in a VERY long time and red marks are going away but I am not anywhere near 100% of what I want. I think I do avoid applying for jobs because of my acne. I am anticipating that by mid-late October my acne will be under control and I would feel comfortable being in a job where the public would see me. When I had my last job ( quit because of no hours), I would dread going in and it was a hot restaurant making me sweat and my acne and red marks appear worse because of lighting and stuff.

I've had acne for as long as I've had a job. Come to think of it, I first started getting acne shortly after I got my first job in high school. It always got in the way and was embarrassing but I never missed work because of it. There were even some days when I had to put a bandaid on to stop the bleeding and suffer the embarrasing remarks of my coworkers and customers.

Well I guess there was one day I skipped work because of it. I remember I had several cysts that kept bleeding and some of the blood got on my work shirt and I just got so frustrated and said, "Fuck it, I'm not going to work today." I felt terrible about it though since I didn't give them any warning before calling in and had to make up some bogus excuse.

I was also denied a job because of acne before. So that kind of hurt my confidence. But I still give interviews 100% and have impressed a lot of people.

Anyway, after years of sales, I am now trying a warehouse job. Partially because of my acne but mostly because I'm tired of sales.

ive had acne since age 13. my parents pressured me into a job at 17. My skin at the time was quite moderate with alot of active pimples. i handed in my CV everywhere but i had low confidence that ny1 would want me.

After a few weeks i got a part time job at the body shop.... i was hired as a customer consultant this meant giving skincare advise and consultations to customers in store! it also meant walking up to complete strangers and introducing myself! at first i was like wtf who will listen to me.

But im so glad i did it as now im much stronger. im not afraid to approach anyone and im able to sell skincare and make up products so easily cos i kno tons about it. When i first started my skin was really bad, a few people even asked me about it, even customers! but now a year later, thanks to retin-a and lymecycline im happy with my skin :) and loving my job and not quiting till i finish uni :P

Overall just stick it out, acne wont stop u from getting a job unless its for modeling or something superficial. Just try to find some confidence and stop caring about how bad ur acne is and show them that u can b a great employee and make some friends ;)

I hate everyone in my office! A colleague invites everyone in my unit for having lunch together except me. They were just off to the nearby mall for having lunch, leaving me alone in the office. I can't think of any other reason for being left except because I have acne. They seldom talk to me and act as if i never exist. It really is hurtful... :(

Edited by Spaceguy1923

So who here has a job?

Doesn't effect me at all mate.

I have to earn a living at the end of the day and that's the same for everyone in this world. I have bills to pay, i like the freedom it gives me to go out and now i have my first house to pay for.

I work part time as a cashier, and I got the job while I had acne(which is since puberty. I'm 20 now)

Working as a cashier in a grocery store I meet many many people during the workday so I make sure to wear makeup to cover the acne. If it didn't it would affect my confidence. And I do think looks matter in the cashier profession.

unemployed.... and im not going to apply for a job until i finish college then ill go apply in a year.. in 1 year ill prob have clearer skin and ill have more confidence.. so acne is holding me back from getting a part time job (im 17 btw)

I'm doing an internship now. And I got it when I had acne, though I did come for the interview and initially came the first few days with makeup on.

Did I mention I'm doing an internship for a cosmetics company?

I dunno. I'm really surprised that I got the internship. I had to start a new skin regimen after moving on to a new dermatologist, and since I was really sick of shitty skin I decided to forgo makeup altogether, and I've been makeup free for about two weeks now, and two weeks into this new skincare regimen my skin's nearing clear. It was really hard even for the first day, as I used to wear makeup religiously and I'd feel extremely embarrassed and completely self conscious if people saw me with all my bad acne.

Really though, the first day I came in to the office with no makeup on, no one said anything to me, though I'm sure they noticed. I gradually told some of the staff about my bad acne and one told me that she was taking birth control to control her bad acne, and she was really supportive of me, and she even told me herself that she noticed that my skin had gotten better.

If this has taught me anything, its taught me to lighten up and smile more, which is what I always try to do - be optimistic. I told some of my friends my previous dermatologist told me I should take Accutane and they were like "WTF? Your skin's that bad?". I feel like if I forget about my skin and how bad it is, other people overlook my acne... and they notice my personality more. I guess what I'm saying is keep your chin up. I feel like it's worked for me, and I hope that it'll work for other people too...

I had a hard time working for other people, so I am now self-employed. Working for myself allowed me to take time off when my picking got bad.

I am now in school part-time taking a class called Women and Health, and for my final project I chose the topic of skin picking.

Here is the website I made:

*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. *

I would really appreciate any feedback anyone could offer. I have, using the advice I give in this website, for the most part overcome my acne and picking. My life is completely different now, and I hope I can help others someday.

I got acne a short time after my first job too. There would be days I would switch shifts so that I could go home sooner because of my acne. It didn't help that my boyfriend worked there too. The worst was when I would get the kind of acne that hurts because it would make me in a bad mood. And I had to fake a smile to deal with customers.

I'm sixteen but i'm avoiding getting a job at all costs just because i'm too nervous about going in for an interview. I'd have to sit there and let someone judge me to see if i'm right for the job. That's not easy, especially with acne. But i'm starting to clear up so i'll have a job soon! Idk what i'll do if i break out bad once i have a job tho...

I work as a cashier at a grocery store, and the other day this woman really stared at me, and started talking to me about how her friend could cure my skin forever with one or two facials in front of other customers, and for me not to be embarrassed. I wanted to die so bad, I could barely look at her. It was the most embarrassing and humilating thing ever for me. Then she gave me a leaflet with her friend's company information and services on it.

I wear makeup but you can tell I have pimples, and since I'm casual and if my boss rings me up to work shifts I'm not allocated to I've told my parents to say I'm not home as I do not want to work unless I am rostered on, as I'm scared of other people staring at my skin.

When my dad asked yesterday how work was and I just started crying, he was so mad at that woman and wanted to report her to like the Fair Trading Act or some company as he said it is illegal for her to do that?

My dad booked me a doctor's appointment when I told him how I just couldn't live like this anymore. So I am grateful that my dad at least understood how I felt.

I went to the doctor yesterday and he prescribed an antibiotic for me, and Epiduo and he said those facial things are a scam and don't work. Have anyone had any experience with those facials? It was an Indian company and it costs $125 per facial if you have problem skin. I really hope this antibiotic works and the Epiduo cream as I feel so anxious thinking that I have to work on the weekend.

Edited by Chickadee

Am 18 at the moment and never had a job.. i'm full time into school and stuff,, however i'm sooo glad my mum and dad have the possibility to support me for as long as i'm studying, because i really think my acne would have been a lot worse if i had been working (because of stress, working long hours, etc.)..

I work as a cashier at a grocery store, and the other day this woman really stared at me, and started talking to me about how her friend could cure my skin forever with one or two facials in front of other customers, and for me not to be embarrassed. I wanted to die so bad, I could barely look at her. It was the most embarrassing and humilating thing ever for me. Then she gave me a leaflet with her friend's company information and services on it.

I wear makeup but you can tell I have pimples, and since I'm casual and if my boss rings me up to work shifts I'm not allocated to I've told my parents to say I'm not home as I do not want to work unless I am rostered on, as I'm scared of other people staring at my skin.

When my dad asked yesterday how work was and I just started crying, he was so mad at that woman and wanted to report her to like the Fair Trading Act or some company as he said it is illegal for her to do that?

My dad booked me a doctor's appointment when I told him how I just couldn't live like this anymore. So I am grateful that my dad at least understood how I felt.

I went to the doctor yesterday and he prescribed an antibiotic for me, and Epiduo and he said those facial things are a scam and don't work. Have anyone had any experience with those facials? It was an Indian company and it costs $125 per facial if you have problem skin. I really hope this antibiotic works and the Epiduo cream as I feel so anxious thinking that I have to work on the weekend.

How is that illegal? You gotta figure she was just trying to help but I know how embarrassing it is. I get remarks and suggestions all the time. Most of them are out of concern but sometimes they're just for personal gain. Like a few weeks ago when a girl stopped me in the mall and tried to sell me some topicals and I told her I wasn't interested so she told me to, "Enjoy me acne."

But yeah, at least your parents know how serious you are about your acne now and are making an effort to help. Facials have temporary results but then again so do antibiotics. However, if it's not that bad, a combination of antibiotics and a good topical may be enough to take care of it for you.

I personally kind of regret taking antibiotics. It made me almost clear for a little while but after I stopped taking it, I started getting cystic acne for the first time on my neck that has stuck with me ever since. Also, doctors often claim antibiotics don't weaken your immune system since it's viruses that make you sick but they overlook the fact that good bacteria supports and protects our immune system.

However, don't let my bad experience hold you back. We gotta take risks sometimes and try everything we can to get our acne under control. ;)

Ok seriously don't you HATE it when they do that? And by "they" I mean the lucky lucky immortals of the world who aren't inflicted with this disease like we are. I'm currently unemployed but I used to be a waitress and I've had customers give me the ol' "I know what can cure all those bumps up for you" blah blah blah. I know that they're just trying to help but rule number one of dealing with those with acne is to help us miserable souls out and pretend like our skin is as gorgeously clear as yours is. We are trying everything under our power to clear up but sometimes we JUST CAN'T.

Anyway, I hope that someday girls like you and I can go out to our jobs without plastering layers of concealer on and not be afraid to meet customers in the eye because we're so scared of what they might say about it.

Good luck!

In my personal experience they are scams. :doh: When i was 16 my mom took me to a lady who claimed it would only take a matter of like TWO months for my skin to be healed.. yeah right.. i went there like 6 months.. spent hundreds of dollars. and.. my skin is scared now from the facials. and i def didn't get healed.

and i know how you feel with people staring at you at your job place. i hate going to work unless i have to. : /

i wear makeup too but in like florescent lighting you can see it ALL.

:redface:

SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS, mY laptop Is stupid:

ANYWY I DEFINITELY WOULDN"T PAY OINE HUNDRED aND TWENTY FIVE DOLLaRS FOR A Facial unless it's a well documented place and you know people who've had success with it. I Work at a PIZza place ND I AM THE FIRAST PERSON ALL THE CUSTOMERS SEE aND INTERaCT WITH AND SOMETIMEs THE ONLY ONE> WITH THE HELP OF DIFFerin aND duac my acne ais pretty much unnoticeable now but at my previous job at the grocery astorea it was fairly noticeable. I AM ACTUALLY MOAST NERVOUS ABOUT AMY COWORKERS LOOKING AT MY AsKIN Because I ASEE THEM EVERY Day ND I DONT WAaNT THEM TO THINK IM UGLY> OH WELL>