Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hannah-Squeezefanx

Foods to definitely avoid...??

There are probably a million threads about what foods to avoid, but I'm kinda new here and all the info is a little confusing, sorry!

But I was wondering what foods are agreed by most to be bad and tend to flate up acne? At the moment, I'm pretty much eating healthily, with no excess sugar etc. But I'd really like to know what foods should be cut out of my diet, thanks! :)

Honestly, outside the usual stuff like junk food and fizzy drinks, I don't think there's enough evidence to prove any food in general is going to worsen acne. Maybe you eat too much cheese, too many fried sausages or something? Try eliminating something from your diet for a week, like cheese and see if your skin goes through any changes. Try and do this with anything you eat too much off. Pick a different food each week or something.

Remember though, we're all different though and what works for some, wont work for others. I'm sure we all know people who can eat anything they want and have clear skin. Most of my family for example have always eaten whatever and acne has never been a problem in my family, with the exception of me. I believe my acne was stress induced though, so I did change my diet to healthier foods to improve my health, not just my skin.

What's your current diet like? What do you eat from breakfast to dinner?

I eat generally lots of oily fish, vegetables and fruit, and don't eat cheese at all (I just really don't like it!) and don't eat chocolate ever really, I think I must take after my dad because he never eats anything like that either. I agree with you, I don't think there is really a whole lot changing diet will do, but I have noticed that since changing my diet, I feel generally healthier, so that can't be a bad thing!

There's nothing for everyone to definitely avoid. Other than trans/hydrogenated fats but that's more about general health than acne although some people notice a difference.

There are plenty of things you need to definitely try avoiding to see if they affect you and there's plenty you should limit.

Try avoiding completely for at least one month, in a methodical method so you can note improvements, all common causes of food intolerance such as dairy, wheat/gluten, soy, peanuts, true nuts, eggs, citrus, shellfish, etc. Although you can also have an issue with other foods even if it is uncommon. For this reason, a good method is to instead follow a very hypoallergenic diet for a few months, then methodically add foods back in. If you discover a reaction, avoid that food. Or If you already know of anything thing you have difficulty digesting or cause any kind of reaction, don't eat it.

Limit sugar, processed foods, refined carbs, dairy (especially cow and especially unfermented products), wheat/grains.

Keep all meals/drinks/snacks low to moderate GL.

Eat more anti-inflammatory foods (colorful fruits, veggies, herbs, spices, teas) and less inflammatory foods the worst of which are hydrogenated/trans fats and sugar (or rather any meal that spikes blood sugar).

See the Good Things link in my signature for more information on the impact of blood sugar, inflammation, food intolerances and more on acne.

Edited by alternativista

I agree with you, I don't think there is really a whole lot changing diet will do,

Diet keeps my skin clear after decades of severe acne and half a dozen dermatologists and their prescriptions, including accutane, did nothing.

And contrary to what the above poster said, there's tons of evidence and clinical studies showing diet's many affects on acne. In my signature, you can find links to lists of studies and lists of members here that have cleared their skin via diet, nutrition and lifestyle habits.

I'm not sure why all of a sudden I'm seeing so many posts in the Holistic forum about how diet doesn't affect acne or that there's no proof?

There's tons of proof - and studies are posted at the top of the holistic forum demonstrating the link.

More often than not, dairy is a big culprit behind a lot of acne. Definitely a starting point of foods to eliminate. Also eliminate refined sugar - especially high fructose corn syrup. Sugar clearly has a high GI and will spike blood sugar levels.

Also, take it easy on the baked goods. If you must, try eating gluten free to see if it helps as some people have gluten sensitivities. Whether you opt for gluten free or not, at least make sure you're consuming whole grains with no added HFCS and things of that nature. If that doesn't help, cut out grains all together.

A large number of people have had great success with raw and paleo diets, myself included. I eat mostly raw fruits and veggies along with some meat and cooked foods at dinner time. I don't consume dairy, grain, sugar (fruit aside) or even legumes because even they break me out.

A lot of paleo followers tend to express the importance of meat, but I've found that (through personal experimentation) that eating mostly raw not only makes me feel better, but it clears my skin more quickly and gives it more of a glow. This may vary from person to person.

Do remember that diet will definitely affect your skin.

I know most people around here avoid dairy but even if you aren't sensitive to it...does this information seem plausible?

1- Fermented Cheese. Fermented, or ripened cheese is one of the most toxic foods known to man. The smallest quantity has a catastrophic effect on the system. It disturbs digestion and makes everything ferment in the digestive tract, so foods eaten don't benefit the body. According to Albert Mosséri, a European natural hygienist and researcher, fermented cheeses can create or exacerbate the following conditions: infection, fever, headaches, nausea, cold sensitivity, bad stools, bad digestion. Fermented (or ripened) cheese includes many French cheeses such as: camembert, roquefort, parmesan, blue cheese, aged goat cheese, brie, etc. Fresh or cooked cheese, aren't as bad, but are not recommended either. Their consumption leads to other problems. So in conclusion, no cheese is recommended for health,

but fermented cheese should be avoided like poison.

I know most people around here avoid dairy but even if you aren't sensitive to it...does this information seem plausible?

1- Fermented Cheese. Fermented, or ripened cheese is one of the most toxic foods known to man. The smallest quantity has a catastrophic effect on the system. It disturbs digestion and makes everything ferment in the digestive tract, so foods eaten don't benefit the body. According to Albert Mosséri, a European natural hygienist and researcher, fermented cheeses can create or exacerbate the following conditions: infection, fever, headaches, nausea, cold sensitivity, bad stools, bad digestion. Fermented (or ripened) cheese includes many French cheeses such as: camembert, roquefort, parmesan, blue cheese, aged goat cheese, brie, etc. Fresh or cooked cheese, aren't as bad, but are not recommended either. Their consumption leads to other problems. So in conclusion, no cheese is recommended for health,

I would assume that this could definitely lead to some acne in the way it disturbs digestion and detrimental to one's health if suffering from candida. Just wondering what everyone's thought on this was. I know most of you will say "blah blah blah no one around here eats dairy". Not everyone is sensitive to it. Sorry if I'm making assumptions...

The problem with dairy isn't simply an acne sufferers sensitivity to it or not. Dairy has a lot of nutritional flaws. For one, the calcium that it is praised for is hardly absorbed because it binds with the phosphorus in dairy. That, and the fact that the vast majority of dairy is now pasteurized, it pretty much destroys the nutrients and the enzymes needed to even absorb those nutrients. You can find cheese that isn't pasteurized in some places but as for it be "poison" I don't know about that. Most fermented foods contain acidophilius - a beneficial probiotic for the digestive track. Assuming the fermented cheese is raw, it also has all of those nutrients still in tact.

Unless your lacking the enzymes to digest the cheese (I'm talking raw dairy) I personally doubt that it's all that bad. However, it may prove difficult for some to find organic, raw, unpasteurized dairy products.

I would assume that this could definitely lead to some acne in the way it disturbs digestion and detrimental to one's health if suffering from candida. Just wondering what everyone's thought on this was. I know most of you will say "blah blah blah no one around here eats dairy". Not everyone is sensitive to it. Sorry if I'm making assumptions...

Hmm, given the extreme nature of that quote I'd say it's pretty suspect... I mean if "fermented cheese" was so poisonous, there'd be a couple hundred million Europeans and others that were very sick...

Hmm, given the extreme nature of that quote I'd say it's pretty suspect... I mean if "fermented cheese" was so poisonous, there'd be a couple hundred million Europeans and others that were very sick...

I agree especially since the statement doesn't include a single reason why or how it disturbs digestion or affects those conditions. Of course, many people are intolerant to dairy and many of those symptoms listed are symptoms of food intolerance. That's why everyone should try avoiding all dairy for at least a month to see if you feel/look better. And I think it should never be a huge part of your diet.

I think that fermented products are better than commercial pasteurized milk, especially if they contain live cultures. Aged products can be an issue for people sensitive to tyramines which are formed over time from tyrosine. Migraine sufferers. But that applies to more than dairy.

In case anyone is wondering, I have dairy and some cheese often, but it's not a big part of my diet. I mostly use my homemade organic full fat yogurt as a condiment, i.e. topping for fruit, curry, turn tomato soup into a cream soup, etc.