Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arrow Juniper

Skin crisis! Face is so swollen, is this even acne?

Hello all,

First of all, I'm very sorry if this post is disgusting to anyone - plus, I've included a pic of my face. I've been searching but I can't find any pictures that tell will help me begin to describe what is going on here. It began yesterday, seemingly all of a sudden. I had some swelling on my cheek near my nose...then I noticed several little swollen sacks of fluid (cysts, pustules?) filling up (clear to yellowish clear) underneath and coming up to the top...then the whole area swelled and these things multiplied. It's so uncomfortable. This area had previously (that morning) no acne, and no filled pores - I was so clear in that particular spot. Beneath all of this swelling, lower on my face, there was one slightly irritated pore that I had tried too hard to purge a few days ago that had scabbed over. But as I said, this little pore is part of the zone that is not even swollen, just on the other side of the border from all of the mess above. Now, Sunday morning, the swelling has extending even up toward my eye. If I laugh, which is none too easy now, the little bumps will ooze a bit. It's all quite moist in this area, though I think a little of the ooze has turned crusty.

Then, later in the day, a patch of skin closer to my ears that had felt rough and also hard underneath the surface, became itchy and swelled up. It is still itchy, despite its swelling, which is quite unlike the swollen and slightly painful section next to my nose.

Is this acne or possibly something else? I already plan to rush to a derm as soon as normal office hours resume tomorrow. But is this an emergency that needs attention today? Please help!

Boss01, it does look a bit like a sting! But no bees have come in contact with my face. I was outside yesterday for a few hours, but I was wearing sunscreen. Should I be suspicious of an allergic reaction to something?

Edited by Arrow Juniper

It does look like a sting or a bite from some sort of bug.

Ice and anticeptic should help.

Hi Lullies, I've not popped anything, and I've tried not to touch it at all. It's weird how its a big cluster of tiny little welts. Basically, I just rode my bicycle for about an hour and about half an hour or so after I got home, I looked in the mirror and noticed that this thing had just started forming. At first it was only at the bottom, and quite small, but over about 12 hours it has spread upward and enlarged.

It seems like an infection to me. I think you should take advice from your dermatologist about this. Without knowing the cause don't use any such thing which can double the problem.

Edited by koold