Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SKguy

Testosterone Levels

I always here about how hormones greatly effect acne. Especially testosterone. So I have found a kit for only $30 that is apparently easy to use. You collect your saliva and mail it into the lab and they'll mail you out your results. Does anyone think it is worth getting your testosterone levels checked or is it just a waste of time and money? Also has anybody gotten it done before?

Here's a link to the kit:

http://www.platinumlabz.com/servlet/Detail?no=14

Edited by SKguy

I have always wondered about hormones but there's nothing wrong with my voice

i have the right amount of body/facial hair and i ain't got tits or nothing :think:

If my hormones were screwed then the rest of my body would be messed up too would'nt it?

That's what I always thought, but everyone keeps saying that acne is directly related to hormones. Yes, I always thought if my estergin was too high I'd be getting boobs, and if my testosterone was too high I'd be a gorilla or something, but still people insist that hormones are out of wack when you got acne. So I thought I'd start a discussion about it.

I'm just a normal guy with bad skin. I don't have anyother problems

like bitch tits, girly voice, hair growing out of my forehead or my palms etc.

Same here. I don't think I have any unusual hair :P And I have a normal voice and my boobies are not sensitive at all ;)

I just thought that for $30 maybe it's worth getting the levels checked? I dunno. Just wanted to get input.

It's more about your sebaceous glands' sensitivity to androgens than any actual hormonal imbalances. Testosterone levels that are "too" high would cause other obvious problems. Imho, not worth it at all.

Edited by greentiger87

Alright, good to know, good to know. I just keep hearing hormones = acne and so on and so on.

Blood work is always a good thing to do from time to time, but a simple measurement of testosterone will not give you an answer to acne.

yeah, hormones are the cause.

like insulin and igf-1.

if testosterone were the answer, we might as well just have every male castrated, but male and female both seem to get acne equally.

plenty of guys in the mags and gym seem to do just fine on steroids. my friend is a competitive bodybuilder is on 1.8 grams of test a week (that of 9 males) and other steroids with not a mark on his skin.

Edited by captshiner

Yeah, I would pretty much follow any advice that GreenTiger gives away, he seems to know a lot about these kinds of things. And I was just reading about "how to balance your hormones" and getting the proper ratio of your Omega's was up there, interesting.

Edited by Trae Michael