Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
selmerhiwatt

Oily Skin & Whitehead Breakouts At Age 45 - Help!

Hi everyone

Growing up I was very fortunate to not have any acne problems and even in adulthood any breakouts I've had were realtively minor and not very frequent. In the last eight months or so I've been breaking out all around my mouth and under my chin, and especially right along my jawline. It usually starts as a big "underground" zit on my chin and then within a few days I will have 30-40 whiteheads around my chin and jawline. The skin in the surrounding skin area is all red and rubbery and oozing clear oil. I have had dry skin all my life so I have no idea what this is all about. There will sometimes be a swelling in the jaw area directly under my tongue with something that feels like a small hard cyst under the skin. I'm constantly touching it because the whole area gets very itchy so I never really give it a chance to heal. Then my whole chin is covered with scabs and I end up not shaving for long periods of time because I'm afraid of making it bleed but I also don't want to know what it all looks like.

There was nothing in my life that changed in my life eight months ago and there is nothing I'm doing now that I wasn't doing a year or two years ago so I'm not sure what the cause could be. Initially my doctor thought it might be stress or age-related. When you turn 40 all kinds of new things turn up! He prescribed me some topical cream that smelled really bad, which didn't really do anything in the long term. It basically just dried my skin out overnight but then it back again the next day. Next he prescribed an oral medication that actually did seem to work but I only took it for one month because I didn't want to believe that this was an ongoing problem. So now I'm back to square one. It is possible that it's stress related but that opens up a whole new can of worms...

Edited by selmerhiwatt

Your acne can say a lot about where it is located. If it is by the jawline this says you have a congested liver/kidneys and need to start detoxing or doing liver cleanse. I would suggest starting with making sure you are taking fish oil "cod liver oil" and get milk thistle supplement from the health food store. They also sell this as a tea so you can drink it at your leisure. What topical products do you use? Also do you have any problems with any of .........fatigue, itchiness, rashes, psoriasis, fungal infections, yeast infections, moodiness? This can say a lot about your cause of acne. Hormones can play a big factor but hormones are made in your adrenals, if you are suffering from adrenal fatigue ( need coffee or stimulants to keep you "up", crave sweets, salt or breads, pastas, have a crash between 3-5 o clock where you are tired) this can effect your hormones and cause acne.

I would consider trying NATURAL progesterone cream. I actually thought acne around the mouth, chin and jawline was purely hormonal. As we get older and start to approach "the change" our bodies can do some wacky things... and sudden acne can be one of them. I know a lot of women who have used progesterone cream and have had great success with it. If it is used properly it can completely clear your acne. You can get it at any health food store. Just make sure it is natural and NOT synthetic. I am actually going to start using it for my PMS. I do hope you try this and it works for you!

Be careful with the prgesterone! You really need to get your levels checked first. I used to be one who highly recommended the natural progesterone from wil yam for acne/hormonal issues. I took it for a month and started haing major anxiety, sleeplessness, overall crazy feeling, then I opted to hae my hormones tested, I was SUPER LOW on estrogen and had CRAZY HIGH progesterone levels! I am a huge advocate for natural methods, but sometimes they work too well. If you are "itchy" or have rashes, crave the carbs and sweets are frequently fatigued you could have candida. Candida effects hormones and can make you break you. Look into candida first because if you fix the candida, you can correct the hormones. MICHAYLA is correct though, as women age they do generally have low progesterone levels, but everyone is different and if you did happen to be the other way like me, it can take months to get the cream out of your system.

Your acne can say a lot about where it is located. If it is by the jawline this says you have a congested liver/kidneys and need to start detoxing or doing liver cleanse.

Could you post a link to some research that supports this theory - Interested in reading more aoub this but couldn't find any info. Thanks.

Your acne can say a lot about where it is located. If it is by the jawline this says you have a congested liver/kidneys and need to start detoxing or doing liver cleanse.

I was a little shocked when I read this reply about possibly having a congested liver or kidney because the one thing I didn't mention in my first post is that on top of the stress I have been struggling with substance abuse issues for the past seven years. I am currently doing OK but I have had some slip-ups in the past year or so. My doctor didn't think it was relevant so I didn't either but that is a scary thought. The thing that puzzles me is that I never acne until eight months ago and my heaviest years of abuse were well behind me by then. From what I've read online this liver/acne connection is more of a new age/holistic theory than a scientific medical fact, but it certainly makes sense to me. Maybe I should mention it to my doctor when I see him atthe end of the month.