Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ive tried everything, i start accutane in 2weeks, and i start my makeupschool a week after which has been very very expensive and hard to get into..i been having acne since 11 and im 18 and it doesnt look like its going away anytime soon, my hair face and back are super greasy within minutes and it kind of secretes a nasty oily sweating smell even if im not active,its more severe on my body then face im even getting some on my stomach which are cyst of course cause i got cyst all on my jawline, wen i took 25000mg of vitamin A everyday it wasnt working good for me at all i had a pain on my side and alotalot of moodiness, and tons of anxiety attacks, i have cough variant asthma but eat pretty healthy and have a minor circulation problem in my legss but i am thin and my excersize is pretty good, will accutane work out for me? im so scared to take it and dont want to regret it

You may be surprised to learn that I am 63 years old. I am telling you this because I want you to know how lucky you are to have access to such a wonderful drug as Accutane at a time in your life when it can make such a difference. I lived with acne all my life, until age 55 when I was first prescribed Accutane. What acne does to your self-esteem and self-confidence, not to mention your social life and career is heartbreaking. That anyone should have to endure acne all their life when there is relief is just terrible. Don't get me wrong, there are many, much worse physical challenges than acne, and I consider myself extremely fortunate to have been spared those challenges. But lifelong acne is no prize, either.

The monthly bloodtests should be some comfort to you over your treatment period. If something goes haywire, you can always curtail your treatment. Over my 5 month treatment, I experienced dry lips (not horrible), which I successfully treated with Vasaline lip balm. I was very itchy on the back of my neck and upper back for the first couple months. I found that the itchiness was well controlled with Benedryl topical gel. By month 3, my breakouts had stopped, but my skin was still a little bumpy and I still had blackheads. By month 4, the bumps and blackheads were gone. Although it wasn't encouraged, I did use abrasive scrubs (Ives Apricot Scrub, for example) every few days, just to help remove the "garbage." If you decide to do this, don't get too vigorous, or you will be beet-red. At the end of the 5 months, I couldn't believe how clear and smooth my skin was. I was a new person with new confidence. I whitened my teeth and dropped 20 pounds and my friends hardly recognized me.

My experiences may not be the same as yours, but keep in mind that it's only 5 months out of your life you may have to deal with Accutane's possible side affects. My blood tests revealed that my triglycerides went up from about 140 to a high of 287 during the 5 months of treatment. After finishing the Accutane, the triglycerides came down to 180 on their own, but I take omega-3 capsules daily, and the triglycerides usually test in the 120 territory these days. The elevated triglycerides happen to some people taking Accutane, and I was told my age (55 at the time) may have contributed to the problem.

Lastly, I have had to go back on Accutane, twice. I moved from the east coast to hot, dry Texas, and a couple months after arriving, I started getting oily skin and blackheads, again. This was about 4 years after my initial treatment. The dermatologist put me on only 20 capsules of Accutane (one capsule on Mondays, one on Thursdays). That cleared me right up. I just recently (it's been about 4 years, again) went through another 20 caps. I had absolutely no side affects from these little mini-treatments, and my triglycerides were unaffected.

I hope your Accutane experience will be as uneventful as mine, and as lifechanging. I wish Accutane had been around when I was your age. Consider being grateful to have the opportunity to take advantage of it, rather than contemplate the mild discomforts you may experience while taking it.

Have you visited the Nutrition & Holistic Health forum? I highly encourage it.

Coming from an Asian background, I've been taught that Western medicine is very extreme; it may fix one problem but will almost always cause another problem. Scientists often claim that certain products are safe now and won't cause any problems, but what about the long term effects? I've just witnessed a commercial indicating another lawsuit against Accutane (you can yahoo it).

There's a good amount of positive cases, but there's also a considerable amount of negative cases. Would I really want to take a chance to clear up my acne using such an unnatural, extreme drug that can lead to long term damages to my body? I prefer a more natural approach.

my 2 cents.

You may be surprised to learn that I am 63 years old. I am telling you this because I want you to know how lucky you are to have access to such a wonderful drug as Accutane at a time in your life when it can make such a difference. I lived with acne all my life, until age 55 when I was first prescribed Accutane. What acne does to your self-esteem and self-confidence, not to mention your social life and career is heartbreaking. That anyone should have to endure acne all their life when there is relief is just terrible. Don't get me wrong, there are many, much worse physical challenges than acne, and I consider myself extremely fortunate to have been spared those challenges. But lifelong acne is no prize, either.

The monthly bloodtests should be some comfort to you over your treatment period. If something goes haywire, you can always curtail your treatment. Over my 5 month treatment, I experienced dry lips (not horrible), which I successfully treated with Vasaline lip balm. I was very itchy on the back of my neck and upper back for the first couple months. I found that the itchiness was well controlled with Benedryl topical gel. By month 3, my breakouts had stopped, but my skin was still a little bumpy and I still had blackheads. By month 4, the bumps and blackheads were gone. Although it wasn't encouraged, I did use abrasive scrubs (Ives Apricot Scrub, for example) every few days, just to help remove the "garbage." If you decide to do this, don't get too vigorous, or you will be beet-red. At the end of the 5 months, I couldn't believe how clear and smooth my skin was. I was a new person with new confidence. I whitened my teeth and dropped 20 pounds and my friends hardly recognized me.

My experiences may not be the same as yours, but keep in mind that it's only 5 months out of your life you may have to deal with Accutane's possible side affects. My blood tests revealed that my triglycerides went up from about 140 to a high of 287 during the 5 months of treatment. After finishing the Accutane, the triglycerides came down to 180 on their own, but I take omega-3 capsules daily, and the triglycerides usually test in the 120 territory these days. The elevated triglycerides happen to some people taking Accutane, and I was told my age (55 at the time) may have contributed to the problem.

Lastly, I have had to go back on Accutane, twice. I moved from the east coast to hot, dry Texas, and a couple months after arriving, I started getting oily skin and blackheads, again. This was about 4 years after my initial treatment. The dermatologist put me on only 20 capsules of Accutane (one capsule on Mondays, one on Thursdays). That cleared me right up. I just recently (it's been about 4 years, again) went through another 20 caps. I had absolutely no side affects from these little mini-treatments, and my triglycerides were unaffected.

I hope your Accutane experience will be as uneventful as mine, and as lifechanging. I wish Accutane had been around when I was your age. Consider being grateful to have the opportunity to take advantage of it, rather than contemplate the mild discomforts you may experience while taking it.

i hope s0 too acne has ruined my relationship with the love of my life, and my family and people around me im always in a bad mood cuz imn frustrated by it, i just dont wanna deal with it anymore did u loose hair??

It doesnt really matter if oldcrow lost hair or not, because it doesnt mean you will or wont, everyone is different. also its a low chance to get hair thining, and even lower to actually lose alot that you can notice in a mirror

Have you visited the Nutrition & Holistic Health forum? I highly encourage it.

Coming from an Asian background, I've been taught that Western medicine is very extreme; it may fix one problem but will almost always cause another problem. Scientists often claim that certain products are safe now and won't cause any problems, but what about the long term effects? I've just witnessed a commercial indicating another lawsuit against Accutane (you can yahoo it).

There's a good amount of positive cases, but there's also a considerable amount of negative cases. Would I really want to take a chance to clear up my acne using such an unnatural, extreme drug that can lead to long term damages to my body? I prefer a more natural approach.

my 2 cents.

I don't think I've ever heard any dermatologist or acne patient refer to accutane as a safe product. In my experience, it's always been overstressed how unsafe and dangerous it is...

I might be mistaken, but I think you mean you took 25 mg of vitamin A. Even if this is what you meant, that is too much vitamin A to be taking. The pain in your stomach and moodiness are symptoms consistent with taking too much vitamin A. Too much vitamin A can be really bad for you. Look up vitamin A toxicity and hypervitaminosis A on the internet. Anyway, Accutane is acutally a form of vitamin A. So, taking Accutane would mean you might get the same side effects as taking a lot of vitamin A.