Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mx123

Which lamp to buy? [UK]

Hey mx123. I'm from the UK also and have been researching light therapy for acne.

I'm 39 and have had moderate acne since I was about 13. I controlled this really effectively with BP, but after using this (Quinoderm) for over 20 years, I started, a couple of years ago, getting hyperpigmentation patches on my skin. At first I didn't make any connection between the hyperpigmentation and usage of BP but a little research appears to have confirmed that long term use of BP can make skin sensitive to sunlight/UV and the skin responds by producing more pigment. This is evidenced on my skin by the brown patches only being in the areas where I concentrate the application of BP. The hyperpigmentation is now really bad and is more of a problem than my acne. The obvious conclusion to this is that I need to stop using BP to control my acne, but I have never found anything which comes close to being as effective.

Like most acne suffers I have tried almost everything over the years and have been ripped off by the various wonder cures that appear from time to time, so when I started looking at light therapy, I was obviously sceptical. As usual the internet provides a dearth of conflicting reports with respect to light therapy. To limit any rip off possibilities therefore, I initially purchased a handheld lamp called Acnestar (UK purchase on e-bay.) This only about £60.00 and I used it for 4 weeks, just on my forehead whilst continuing to use BP, and then I started to gradually stop using BP on that area over the next 2 weeks or so. Reports suggest that light therapy can take up to three months to reach it's maximum effetcs.

The results after 8 weeks of usage without using BP on my forehard are encouraging. There is definately an effect, but not total clearance which I guess is the holy grail of acne suffers. The problem with the Acnestar lamp is that it only treats a small area of skin at one time and you therefore have to treat one area at a time before moving the lamp and starting again. This was really time consuming as I treated each area for 10 mins each morning and evening.

As I have said above, as the results were encourgaing I decided to seek out a more powerful lamp which could treat the whole face in one go. After much research I purchased a Britebox Dermaclear lamp. This was £489.00 so quite expensive and I would not have spent this sort of money unless I was reasonably confident that light therapy works. The lamp was purchased in the UK (just google) and the company offer 0% easy payment terms, a 60 day money back guarantee and a two year warranty. The lamp was delivered the very next day after ordering and is a very well made unit. The lamp uses both red and blue LEDs at the commonly accepted correct wavelengths and is a very well made, professional unit. The light produced is so unbelievably bright (goggles are provided but I wear two pairs at once!) which hopefully means that is much more powerful than the Acnestar.

I've only been using the lamp for three days so It is obviously far to early to pass judgment, but I am hopeful that this could work for me and that I can stop using BP altogether in the hope that both the acne and hyperpigmentation will finally go.

I am happy to post back and let you know how the treatment goes but goodluck with finding the right lamp for you.

Thank you for your reply and sorry it's taken me so long to see it.

I would have no problem buying the Britebox Dermaclear lamp if I knew for sure it would work, but I don't want to spend £500 (that I don't even have) for nothing. Maybe I will purchase a cheaper handheld lamp to begin with and see how I get along with that, then maybe buy something bigger depending on how I feel it is working.

Check out Acnederm.com - they are $29 or 11.6 pounds.

They have inexpensive lights that are at the correct wave lengths. They are inexpensive enough to try them and see if they work for you.

Edited by 90805

The AcneWand looks too small to do anything.

LumieClear looks kind of small, and perhaps a little expensive for the size.

I might just go for the Britebox Dermaclear. If it doesn't work, you can return it within 60-days. It's worth a try. Plus while it is ridiculously expensive and I can't really afford it, they do interest free payment plans so that is an option.

The AcneWand looks too small to do anything.

LumieClear looks kind of small, and perhaps a little expensive for the size.

I might just go for the Britebox Dermaclear. If it doesn't work, you can return it within 60-days. It's worth a try. Plus while it is ridiculously expensive and I can't really afford it, they do interest free payment plans so that is an option.

The Britebox Dermaclear has 840 LEDs and delivers a clinical treatment at home. if you see an improvement when you have been in the sun then the dermaclear WILL be an effective (and safe) acne treatment for you. Indeed the dermaclear is now £395 and can be bought off their site over 6 monthly payments with 60 days money back guarantee... the hand held LED acne treatments usually consist of only approx 20 LEDs and are impractical for most acne sufferers whereas the britebox dermaclear will treat the face, neck and chest in one go and is proven to be effective for moderate to severe acne. :surprised: see: www.beautyskinuk.co.uk

Edited by dermaclear

I used the lightstim Acne light for a while...

It uses Blue and Red Led, because some researches have shown that the combination of Blue and Red is more effective for acne than only Blue.

Blue light can lessen acne because it's close to the sterilizing UV-A.

For me, It did help only a TINY bit.... But it took too much time and effort for so little improvement, so i stopped it. It's now in my closet somewhere.

But that it didn't work for me, don't have to mean that it also wouldn't work for you. Everyone's skin reacts different.

Edited by CaptainCook