Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lameleah

What to try first?

I'm studying food and nutrition science in uni for the first year, so in fact i should not be the one to ask this type of question.. but what to try out first?

i believe there is a corelation between acne and nutrition. as im new here and there is a LOT of information around here, its kinda confusing about what should be eaten, or tried first to keep acne away. im SO sick of acne!

any suggestions?

Personally I'd start with a fast and start adding foods back in out of process of elimination, but for some that's a big step to take for their first time.

Maybe eliminating milk for a while? A lot of people have intolerances to milk that cause their skin to break out and take that out first.

thanks lyssa. yeah i dont drink milk at all and i eat healthy - lots of veggie, fruits and soy too, trying to cut off high GI food and sweet now.

yet some people says even tomatoes or soy alone could cause them acne.. which is weird. no offense, but how could they tell? should i start with certain type of diet such as paleo diet?

Soy is garbage, there's plenty of evidence of the dangers of soy. It's not real food.

Paleo style diets are the only thing that actually clears people up here. The winning formula is to avoid sugar and eat real veggies and fats. If you stick to that you can see results real fast and everything will make sense.

Soy is garbage, there's plenty of evidence of the dangers of soy. It's not real food.

Asians have been eating soy for centuries and they aren't keeling over. There was even a thread recently about how Okinawans were the healthiest people in the world.

Paleo style diets are the only thing that actually clears people up here. The winning formula is to avoid sugar and eat real veggies and fats. If you stick to that you can see results real fast and everything will make sense.

People get clear on this board on diets other than paleo. The paleo diet is unsustainable for a lot of people. Even a good number of the people lurking on that paleo diet thread are eating grains and/or starchy tubers.

Paleo style diets are the only thing that actually clears people up here.

i know you paleo cult members like to tell each other that, but it isn't true. There are plenty of members, myself included, who cleared their skin via diets consisting primarily of all kinds of real, whole nutrient dense anti-inflammatory, blood sugar stabilizing meals that don't include foods they have an intolerance for. Without following any particular diet gimmick.

Edited by alternativista

The problems with soy are the same problems with just about any food- when you start refining, processing, fragmenting and manipulating it (not to mention genetically modify it). In it's whole, natural state, prepared the way people have been doing for thousands of years, it is a potentially extremely healthy food. Natto, a fermented soybean dish, is a very high source of vitamin K2, which is really not in many other foods at all.

Soy should still be approached with caution because of the allergy potential, and the non-organic GM issue. Soy is one of the most widespread processed ingredients in foods, cosmetics, other products- so pervasive in our society, which is probably why it has become such a common allergen.

Edited by Drizzler

i know you paleo cult members like to tell each other that, but it isn't true. There are plenty of members, myself included, who cleared their skin via diets consisting primarily of all kinds of real, whole nutrient dense anti-inflammatory, blood sugar stabilizing meals that don't include foods they have an intolerance for. Without following any particular diet gimmick.

That's pretty much paleo dude. I didn't even know what paleo meant until after I was already doing it, the gimmick doesn't interest me, it's just an easy way to say "real" when it comes to food.

Even a good number of the people lurking on that paleo diet thread are eating grains and/or starchy tubers.

Yes and then they complain of breakouts a week later. Not my problem.

Glad that you're studying that! I actually want to study nutrition and cooking which I will soon.

I know about food ( not a lot,but learning ) , thanks to this forum. I would start with green smoothie, it's like the best thing ever because you add fruits, leafy greens and flax seeds or hemp protein.

Vegetable ( especially cruciferous )

Low sugars fruit ( I only use this for green smoothie )

Whole grain ( it's gluten free, we all know that. :D )

I am kind of upset because I broke out with some small acne. OUT of no where...

Just kept forming... ^^

Edited by EddieE

That's pretty much paleo dude. I didn't even know what paleo meant until after I was already doing it, the gimmick doesn't interest me, it's just an easy way to say "real" when it comes to food.

Even a good number of the people lurking on that paleo diet thread are eating grains and/or starchy tubers.

Yes and then they complain of breakouts a week later. Not my problem.

No, my diet is full of foods not considered 'paleo.'

I frequently eat tubers such as sweet potatoes, legumes and even grains. I've been having brown rice with banana for breakfast almost daily for months now. I've also gone for long periods having sweet potatoes nearly daily. I even have some bread, cake, cookies, etc. These habits do not cause me to breakout.

The important thing is to eat plenty of real nutrient dense anti-inflammatory foods that you do not have an intolerance for in meal/drinks/snack habits that do not spike your blood sugar/insulin. Not that you only eat pre-agricultural foods.

Although, I do believe that in the case of any seed you eat in quantity, you should prepare them according to traditional methods i.e. soaking/sprouting/fermenting and/or in traditional food combinations. And that grains should not be a big part of your diet. Certainly not the base of the pyramid with 6-11 servings per day. More like 1-2 servings max.

Cordain, is not an anthropologist, btw, and picked and chose from among the thousands of possible healthy diets found all over the world. It's a big planet and people spread in all kinds of directions into all kinds of ecosystems and adapted to all kinds of foods. Humans ate whatever they could get their hands on. Even his claims about not eating grains until the development of agriculture are not necessarily true. The Ojibwe tribes in Minnesota gathered wild rice in very large quantities by knocking it into their canoes with sticks. I'm quite certain that out there in the world, there were plenty of other people doing something similar far longer than 10,000 years ago. They would not have learned to cultivate the plant if they didn't eat the plant.

Edited by alternativista

I've been having brown rice with banana for breakfast almost daily for months now.

Isn't that high GL though? :/

No. It's not high GI because I have it with coconut and seeds and nuts, sources of fat and protein. It's not high GL, because it's not a big amount of food.