Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jen0489x

Need advice from someone on Spiro

I've been on Spironolactone since December, and it's done me very well. My skin has been fantastic... until now. For about a month now, my skin has been acting up. Around my period I had an awful breakout, three cysts and a few whiteheads. I'm used to only getting one cyst with spiro on my period. And now, I keep getting an awful lot of whiteheads. Do you think this could be my makeup? Or a sign spiro is starting to not work?

I am also on Spiro. My dermatologist told me that your skin should clear up more and more each month with the medication. Are you on Birth control? Sometimes women have more success with Sprio when its taken with a oral contraceptive because its like another line of defense against hormonal acne. If your condition worsens you should definitely look into that or talk o your dermatologist and discuss your options if your aren't comfortable taking a bc pill.

After several years on spiro I am still seeing breakouts. Hormonal ones before my period (which I don't have regularly anymore) and random small breakouts throughout. Frustrating!

Are you on birth control?? Spiro alone is only 66% effective for hormonal breakouts but when it's taken with a birth control it's like 85% or something. Also, maybe your dermatologist needs to up the dosage. I know that when I first started taking it at 25mg it worked great then after about 5 months my skin got horrible again, so she doubled it and it's been perfect since. When was the last time you increased the mg?

No, I'm not on birth control but I was thinking about going on it next month. I'm on 100mgs right now, and haven't upped the dosage in months. Maybe I should see about that? Blah

Birth control I think is a really good idea for helping with acne. Its helped me out soooooooo much. And be careful about upping your dosage. A lot of girls claim that there will be a nasty initial break out when you do that. I never got an IB when I started taking Spiro for some reason (thank jesus) but a lot of girls do.