Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
verynormalgirl

Chin acne. and other common issues?

Hey everyone. So I'm fourteen and I've just started getting acne this year. It's pretty much under control but every now and then I tend to break out.... But I really only ever get acne in my chin/mouth area. So I was wondering why this is? I've heard that chin acne is related to hormones so I'm on zinc (70mg of chelated... for about 3 weeks.). Which is sort of helping but I just got another big spot yesterday :?

Also I wash my face everyday with a SA cleanser and I also use a BP (10%) on spots and sometimes my whole chin. (I use a moisturizer as well.) I've heard that using both SA and BP can be too drying. Is this accurate? If so what should I be washing my face with?

So pretty much I'm just wondering about all that... and any extra advice etc. would be appreciated thanks a ton :D

Hi,

You were asking about why you are only getting acne round your chin/mouth? The area on your face called your T-zone (forehead and strip down middle of face including nose and chin) is a common area to get acne, although people can get it anywhere unfortunately! The T-zone tends to produce more oil than the rest of your face and the bacteria that cause acne thrive in oily environments so tend to cause more acne in these areas.

You are right-in lots of people hormones are to blame which is why lots of teenagers get acne during puberty (although again it can drag on past then for some unlucky few like me!). The reproductive hormones like progesterone and testosterone get produced in higher levels during puberty and can play havoc with your skin by making it more oily. (That is why the contraceptive pill can help some women's acne as it controls the levels of hormones). It does normally settle down on its own as your hormones sort themselves out.

You are fine to use a SA wash and BP at the same time but you are right the combination can be very drying. You need to start off gently and then can slowly work up the concentration and amount you use as your skin gets used to it. 10% BP is very strong and I am surprised that you haven't had any dryness/irritation from that yet. If you are just starting out it might be a good idea to start with 2.5% BP and you can always work up to 5% or 10% if needed. If you start getting irritation then reduce your usage e.g. to once a day or every other day. Some people find SA washes very helpful, others find them too drying and something very gentle and pH balanced (like Cetaphil) better. See how you get on and good luck!

Hi,

You were asking about why you are only getting acne round your chin/mouth? The area on your face called your T-zone (forehead and strip down middle of face including nose and chin) is a common area to get acne, although people can get it anywhere unfortunately! The T-zone tends to produce more oil than the rest of your face and the bacteria that cause acne thrive in oily environments so tend to cause more acne in these areas.

You are right-in lots of people hormones are to blame which is why lots of teenagers get acne during puberty (although again it can drag on past then for some unlucky few like me!). The reproductive hormones like progesterone and testosterone get produced in higher levels during puberty and can play havoc with your skin by making it more oily. (That is why the contraceptive pill can help some women's acne as it controls the levels of hormones). It does normally settle down on its own as your hormones sort themselves out.

You are fine to use a SA wash and BP at the same time but you are right the combination can be very drying. You need to start off gently and then can slowly work up the concentration and amount you use as your skin gets used to it. 10% BP is very strong and I am surprised that you haven't had any dryness/irritation from that yet. If you are just starting out it might be a good idea to start with 2.5% BP and you can always work up to 5% or 10% if needed. If you start getting irritation then reduce your usage e.g. to once a day or every other day. Some people find SA washes very helpful, others find them too drying and something very gentle and pH balanced (like Cetaphil) better. See how you get on and good luck!

Okay wow thanks for the help :D I actually got some irritation from my BP today but it's not too bad just feels like a sunburn but isn't physically red. So I'm gonna give that a rest atleast until it heals. On the plus side it dried out my monster spot :D

Where can I find cetaphil and or 2.5% BP? Do you think a Walgreens would stock it?

You can find Cetaphil at most stores c:

2.5% BP is a bit tougher ): You can get the Neutrogena on the stop 2.5%, but it's very small.

Otherwise, you'll have to order online or buy Dan's c:

You're welcome- I'm from the UK so not totally sure where you can get all the stuff in the USA. Think Walgreens do the cetaphil but they only seem to have the 10% BP. Like Lullies said you could get Dan's 2.5% BP online from this website or might have to search around a bit.

I have cleared up the acne on my chin area (finally!), but I do break out in that area on occasions. I've found that it is because when I brush my teeth, sometimes the toothpaste that gets out of my mouth goes down my chin, and a few days later (or week, tops), there are a couple of new pimples there. That could be something that you might want to consider/pay attention to. Could be toothpaste, food, etc.

I have cleared up the acne on my chin area (finally!), but I do break out in that area on occasions. I've found that it is because when I brush my teeth, sometimes the toothpaste that gets out of my mouth goes down my chin, and a few days later (or week, tops), there are a couple of new pimples there. That could be something that you might want to consider/pay attention to. Could be toothpaste, food, etc.

Okay thanks that could definitely be possible! So how did you end up dealing with this and clearing up your chin? Just brushing more carefully?

Okay thanks that could definitely be possible! So how did you end up dealing with this and clearing up your chin? Just brushing more carefully?

I try to brush more carefully, but that doesn't always work, lol. What I do is make sure I have a tissue or small towel in hand so I can quickly guard my chin from whatever comes out of my mouth.