Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I would think that it has something to do with an elderly woman's hormones being so level, since she would no longer have a menstrual cycle. The same kind of thing happens when people grow out of their teen years and their hormones (and acne) stop raging. When you're developing and growing in your teen years, you have a lot of hormonal activity which causes acne. This is why a lot of adult acne sufferers are women, because women have a continuous fluctuation of hormones that continue through much of their adult life.

I would think that it has something to do with an elderly woman's hormones being so level, since she would no longer have a menstrual cycle. The same kind of thing happens when people grow out of their teen years and their hormones (and acne) stop raging. When you're developing and growing in your teen years, you have a lot of hormonal activity which causes acne. This is why a lot of adult acne sufferers are women, because women have a continuous fluctuation of hormones that continue through much of their adult life.

^^ BAM, you hit the nail on the head.

This is the link most people miss in the diet<-->acne connection in general. The genetic component is the tendency towards hyperkeratinization, overactive pilosebaceous units, excess skin cell shedding etc. That part stays with you for life. When someone says "acne is genetic", this is the part that, yes its true.

The other component is the hormonal fluctuations, which are of course much bigger during teen/adolescence years. This happens to everybody. And this is the part where your diet, lifestyle, habits etc have large implications.

HOWEVER, if you don't have the genetic component mentioned above, then you will not get acne regardless of what you eat, do, sleep, exercise etc.

LOL well unfortunately for me i am 29 and male and still get acne. So I guess I am genetically prone to acne no matter how old I am...

Acne is caused by toxins and excess hormones. You need to balance your hormones out and change your lifestyle which means more sleep (very important to getting rid of impurities), eat a balanced diet which includes more fruits and veggies to neutralize or get rid of hormones and release good hormones, lastly drink more water to help flush out the toxins. Avoid sugars and meats that contain hormones in them.

As a soap use heads and shoulders classic shampoo which contains pyrithione zinc which is a mineral that has something to do with acne. Its only been a week since I've been using this and I'm seeing great results in smoothness of the skin and keeping sweat off.

Well, I guess the hormones I am blessed (or cursed)with have decided that they don't want to balance themseleves out! I will be 51 in 2 months and am fighting a break out on my neck. 3 beautiful, red, and painful lovlies, not to mention wrinkles and lines much too early for that! And by the way, I have a great diet, drink plenty of water, take vitamins, take good care of myself and this is the thanks I get! All of this age crap and hormone stuff if just that, crap! Elf

Well, I guess the hormones I am blessed (or cursed)with have decided that they don't want to balance themseleves out! I will be 51 in 2 months and am fighting a break out on my neck. 3 beautiful, red, and painful lovlies, not to mention wrinkles and lines much too early for that! And by the way, I have a great diet, drink plenty of water, take vitamins, take good care of myself and this is the thanks I get! All of this age crap and hormone stuff if just that, crap! Elf

It's not crap. There's always hormones involved in acne formation and those hormones change with age.

However, have you tried an elimination diet? The severe cystic acne I used to get on my neck turned out to be a reaction to a specific food. A very healthy food.

Thanks guys! i guess my question turned out to be quite useful discussion. My ant who is around 50 is an acne sufferer too. I think every person's hormones are varying so we can not relate them to one formula. But i hope i will gt rid of these one day :)