Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alex250P

Been on roaccutane for 12 weeks now, not much change?

Hey guys, I don't really post here much but I could really do with some support right now :-/

I started taking three 20mg tablets of Roaccutane (accutane for you American's) on Saturday May 15th. It's now Saturday August 7th, so my twelve week mark. I've only got four weeks of the course left and I'm a bit dissapointed.

I turned 14 in June, so I was prescribed the drugs when I was 13, and the derm said I was the youngest patient he had ever given the tablets too. Anyway, the acne on my back has faded, but it still there, and the greasyness of my face has stopped but it's all dry. The only side effects I've had are dry lips, dry skin, headaches and some fatigue. Just wondering if anybody else was in my boat? I had a breakout last week, but i still have really red skin, with lots and lots of blackheads.

Few important things.. You need to watch your diet closely; I say this so much to people but its very crucial. Make sure you're getting a lot of water intake, stay away from sugary foods/drinks like chocolate bars/soda as they really hurt your skin and can provide an environment conducive to break-outs. Get a lot of air outside; skin loves fresh air.

Also what is your dose per day? You said three 20mg tablets.. So you're on 60mg per day?

Along with the remembering to take your pills + Diet + fresh air thing, there really isn't a lot you can do but extending your accutane course a little bit. Keep an optimistic perspective though as some people take a long time (4+ months) to see results.

Few important things.. You need to watch your diet closely; I say this so much to people but its very crucial. Make sure you're getting a lot of water intake, stay away from sugary foods/drinks like chocolate bars/soda as they really hurt your skin and can provide an environment conducive to break-outs. Get a lot of air outside; skin loves fresh air.

Also what is your dose per day? You said three 20mg tablets.. So you're on 60mg per day?

Along with the remembering to take your pills + Diet + fresh air thing, there really isn't a lot you can do but extending your accutane course a little bit. Keep an optimistic perspective though as some people take a long time (4+ months) to see results.

Well I drink a lot of water, I've cut back on fizzy drinks (I rarely have any now) but I'm a bit of a chocoholic :redface: although I do go out a lot, just with friends to the park and stuff and yeah 60mg a day, three tablets with my morning meal and I suppose, my dad was one of the first people in Britain to be prescribed roaccutane though, he was prescribed in like 1979? And it took him four, four months courses, so a total of 16 months on 60mg a day, surely it won't take that long for me?

Hello alex, you sound like you might be from the UK...i am from the uk and im called Aleks and i take roaccutane hehe! The best advice i think i could give you is ask your dermatologist to extend your course. Most people on this website have at least 5 months if not 6 and sometimes even more. I would just explain to him/her how many repeat courses your dad had, and that your not happy with your skin and it would save time/struggle of being on accutane again in the future. Thats wat i did with my derm. She was apprihensive because im a girl and there are more risks with girls but she agreed in the end.

Hope ive been a bit of help

Aleks xx