Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DudleyDoRight

A good Read on Scars

Fraz, we have to deal with what is available, not what we hope will happen. I am one of the biggest supporters you will ever find for stem cell research, but the proof is just not there that it can work for scars. It is just like all the hype about supplements and there are zero double blind studies supporting any supplements with the possible exception of Omega 3 for only heart patients, B12 for the elderly, and folic acid to prevent spinal bivida. California is in the middle of a large outbreak of whooping cough because people listened to a bogus doctor from England who falsified studies to conform to his preconceived conclusions - Dr. Andrew Wakefield. He has since had his licence to practice medicine in England suspended, but he is making the rounds of American talk shows spreading his lies with Jenny McCarthy and Oprah Winfrey. Vaccines do not cause autism, but thousands of stupid mothers are risking their babies lives because of Wakefield's lies.

I would love for there to be another breakthrough - the last true one being fractionalized ablative Co2 laser which was available about Jan 2008. That is only 2 years, 8 months ago and science can move at a snails pace. Regular Co2 came around 95 and dermbrasion is over 100 years old.

Fraz, we have to deal with what is available, not what we hope will happen. I am one of the biggest supporters you will ever find for stem cell research, but the proof is just not there that it can work for scars. It is just like all the hype about supplements and there are zero double blind studies supporting any supplements with the possible exception of Omega 3 for only heart patients, B12 for the elderly, and folic acid to prevent spinal bivida. California is in the middle of a large outbreak of whooping cough because people listened to a bogus doctor from England who falsified studies to conform to his preconceived conclusions - Dr. Andrew Wakefield. He has since had his licence to practice medicine in England suspended, but he is making the rounds of American talk shows spreading his lies with Jenny McCarthy and Oprah Winfrey. Vaccines do not cause autism, but thousands of stupid mothers are risking their babies lives because of Wakefield's lies.

I would love for there to be another breakthrough - the last true one being fractionalized ablative Co2 laser which was available about Jan 2008. That is only 2 years, 8 months ago and science can move at a snails pace. Regular Co2 came around 95 and dermbrasion is over 100 years old.

There is multiple treatments for scar revision. There is also multiple opinions for each treatment.

The problem is figuring out what treatment will be right for yourself.

You can't really go by anybody elses opinions but your own, because other peoples opinions are always going to differ from each other.

Speaking to dermatologists and doctors and getting their opinions are also useless, because you can never really tell whether they have your best interest in mind or not

I went to the Doctors last week to get him to have a look at my skin which is clearly severly damaged and discoloured, so he prescribes me Antibiotics........ Yep, Antibiotics!

How on earth are Antibiotics going to get rid of my redness, hyperpigmentation marks, indents & large pores?

They arent..... and thats because he never had my best interest at heart.

I know which scar treatments are currently available, but i'm never going to know which treatments will work best without taking huge risks.

Fraz, I don't pretend to have medical knowledge, but there must have been a medical reason for the anitbiotics. Of course the antibiotics will not treat the scars, but he may be addressing the redness and hyperpigmentation. Sometimes addressing the whole problem at once is not the best approach, and breaking it down results in a better outcome. The problem I have found with doctors is that the cost of the equipment colors their approach to the problem. This is why I strongly urge everyone to first research all treatment options, and then find the best doctor who performs that treatment. This is radically different from our usual approach to medicine, because we are not seeking a diagnosis, but we would sure like a prognosis. Doctors and Dermatologists will always be you best choice, chasing silly unproven "cures" is totally foolish and a waste of time and money. Don't ignore science in the name of charlatans selling snakeoil cures.

Edited by DudleyDoRight

Fraz, I don't pretend to have medical knowledge, but there must have been a medical reason for the anitbiotics. Of course the antibiotics will not treat the scars, but he may be addressing the redness and hyperpigmentation. Sometimes addressing the whole problem at once is not the best approach, and breaking it down results in a better outcome. The problem I have found with doctors is that the cost of the equipment colors their approach to the problem. This is why I strongly urge everyone to first research all treatment options, and then find the best doctor who performs that treatment. This is radically different from our usual approach to medicine, because we are not seeking a diagnosis, but we would sure like a prognosis. Doctors and Dermatologists will always be you best choice, chasing silly unproven "cures" is totally foolish and a waste of time and money. Don't ignore science in the name of charlatans selling snakeoil cures.

I know that unproven cures are a waste of time.

But surgery isn't 100% proven either. Thats why some people come on here complaining that their skin looks even worse than it did before.

As for Antibiotics for addressing Hyperpigmentation. Antibiotics will do nothing for hyperpigmentation. Antibiotics can reduce skin inflammation by destroying bactera, but that won't have any effect on hyperpigmentation marks.

Sometimes when I go and see a doctor, I wonder if he/she actually has any medical background what so ever. I know that they must do, but its extremely hard to believe at times.

Fraz, if there are any teaching hospitals in your area you may want to check them out. I am lucky to live near the University of Oklahoma. I am not familiar with the truely great hospitals in Scotland, but we have some great teaching hospitals that keep up with the cutting edge treatments. Places like Johns Hopkins, The Mayo Clinic, The Cleveland Clinic produce amazing studies. Doctors are like auto mechanics - not all are created equal.

P.S. I would love to visit Scotland and Ireland. I am told to have a wee bit of Scottish blood in meself.

Edited by DudleyDoRight