Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lameleah

trying prescibed retinoid for the first time..

im thinking to go to derm making him/her to prescibe me some topical retinoid.

here it is:

1) can you ask the derm to have retinoid right away?

2) overall, which retinoid is better? so i can ask him to have certain type

3) i have used paulas choice BHA gel for a week already. there was some peeling and blackhead on nose started to come to the top. should or shouldnt i continue to use it?

thanks in advance.

any suggestions would be very much appreciated! i need to do it fast!

Edited by lameleah

The derm. should be able to tell you which one to use. I would stop using the BHA for now unless your dermtalogist tells you to use it, which they probably won't. All you have to do is get the prescription and you can fill it as soon as you want.

1) Yes, retinoids are a first line treatment.

2) Differin (Adapalene) has the best track record, though all of them work. Adapalene can also be used simultaneously with benzoyl peroxide, so this keeps that option open for later.

3) You should stop using it, at least for now.

Please be prepared for the fact that retinoids are a long term treatment. You will likely have an initial breakout, though it can be tempered by BP or an antibiotic. However, real results can take from 1 to 3 months to see.

now i was prescribed with antibiotics and differin. it costs me a lot which all these only lasts for two weeks. im still a student and couldnt afford much. have anyone tried to go to pharmacy to get them after going to the derm? i so dont wanna pay extra money for the consultation fee.. its crazy

now i was prescribed with antibiotics and differin. it costs me a lot which all these only lasts for two weeks. im still a student and couldnt afford much. have anyone tried to go to pharmacy to get them after going to the derm? i so dont wanna pay extra money for the consultation fee.. its crazy

Consultation fee? Where do you live?

hey greentiger i live in hong kong. no insurance at all, unlike US. thats why i havnt been to derm, its not common around here. and yep they charged me around $115 US dollars for the prescription and consulatation fee together. that means i have to pay an extra 115 for another consutlation. TOTALLY crazy. docs here are theives.

Do you have refills on your prescription? My derm gave me a prescription with 3 refills (meaning that I can go to the pharmacie and buy Differin 3 times after I run out... without having to go back to the derm). If you're not sure, you can check with your pharmacist. They should have that information stored on their computer.

Also, you could try asking the pharmacist if there is a bigger tube of Differin that you can purchase... because 2 weeks? That must be a tiny tube!

Edited by Just me!