Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joshua33

Wtf is THAT! No diagnosis for 8 years

Hello guys,

I've been struggling with this problem for 8 years. Painful and ichy pustules that almost never go away. I did accutane course 3 years ago, it haven't helped a bit actually it just screwed my colon and hairs.

Only thing that works for this thing is an antibiotic course (Cephalosporin*) but everything comes back after you stop the antibiotics. Also im unable to continue the treatment because my liver and gut are getting more destroyed :( When it comes to TOPICAL meds NOTHING WORKS (i mean really nothing).

I did the lab tests for bacterial and fungus culture (3 times) - it came back with nothing extra ordinary just staphylococcus epidermidis - doctor say everybody has it. Symptoms are getting much worse after sex (in fact i have an major outbreak the next 1-2 days).

What can be the cause? I had like 20 dermatologists already - so far nobody knows whats the problem.

Problem is just limited to beard, lips, jawline area and nose.

IMAGE ATTACHED

post-135254-1281162882_thumb.jpg

thanks

post-135254-1281162882_thumb.jpg

Edited by joshua33

irritation and dryness. moisturize. i honestly found dan's moisturizer to the best thing. out of all his product that may be the best thing i have ever used. you can even try the regimen. i did it but my skin was too oily for it and i didnt think it was good to use it. however there are a lot people on here who have tried it with success.

I know you don't want more antibiotics, but just curious if you ever tried Bactrim?

irritation and dryness. moisturize. i honestly found dan's moisturizer to the best thing. out of all his product that may be the best thing i have ever used. you can even try the regimen. i did it but my skin was too oily for it and i didnt think it was good to use it. however there are a lot people on here who have tried it with success.

how this can work with pustules? - my face is in such pain i can't even put a cream on it.

also i'm allergic to benzacne :(

I know you don't want more antibiotics, but just curious if you ever tried Bactrim?

yes i've used topical bactrim - no visible changes

Well i would get the same type of lesions on my chin and near mouth like in your pic and i have been searching for 2 years. So far the oral bactrim i have been on has kept me clear. Now minocycline did the same thing for me for a month but i became resistant to it after that and back came the breakouts. I will be asking for some Azelaic acid from my doc this week to use when i try to stop the antibiotic and hopefully it will keep me staying clear. Maybe you can try that too. It is an Antibacterial: it reduces the growth of bacteria in the follicle (Propionibacterium acnes and Staphylococcus epidermidis)

Edited by JayQ

Well i would get the same type of lesions on my chin and near mouth like in your pic and i have been searching for 2 years. So far the oral bactrim i have been on has kept me clear. Now minocycline did the same thing for me for a month but i became resistant to it after that and back came the breakouts. I will be asking for some Azelaic acid from my doc this week to use when i try to stop the antibiotic and hopefully it will keep me staying clear. Maybe you can try that too. It is an Antibacterial: it reduces the growth of bacteria in the follicle (Propionibacterium acnes and Staphylococcus epidermidis)

you don't need your doctor to buy Azelaic acid at least in europe and yes i have used it also no response.

you don't need your doctor to buy Azelaic acid at least in europe and yes i have used it also no response.

Well you can buy accutane too thru the web but it is not recommended. Well how long do you actually give your regimens?

Well you can buy accutane too thru the web but it is not recommended. Well how long do you actually give your regimens?

well i wouldnt compare something harmless to Accutane, Azelaic acid is llike benzacne (same weight). Anyway typically if i don't see any improvement in 2-3 weeks i stop the medication.

well i wouldnt compare something harmless to Accutane, Azelaic acid is llike benzacne (same weight). Anyway typically if i don't see any improvement in 2-3 weeks i stop the medication.

Possibly might be your problem in some of the medications you have tried. 2-3 weeks in a lot of regimens is not enough time to see improvement.

Possibly might be your problem in some of the medications you have tried. 2-3 weeks in a lot of regimens is not enough time to see improvement.

i doubt so, but thanks for your advice

looks like you have some heat sores.

you mean cold sores? I wish, i was tested for that - test came back negative. (i also used Aciclovir just to be sure - no positive changes either)

Edited by joshua33

2-3 weeks is nowhere near long enough to see results. You have to stick it out for longer than that. most derms say to try something for 12 weeks before deciding if it works or not.

2-3 weeks is nowhere near long enough to see results. You have to stick it out for longer than that. most derms say to try something for 12 weeks before deciding if it works or not.

This is correct. It can take a few months to see results from a new acne medication. This is because of the time it takes for the pimples to actually start forming and coming to the surface. When a new medication is started, acne that was already starting to form will often still show up on this skin.

Most acne medications work to prevent pimples from forming (by preventing clogged pores, inflammation, etc.), rather than making existing pimples go away. To the OP - if you are only using new meds for 2-3 wks, the acne you are still getting at that point had started to develop before you ever began using the medication. You have to wait a couple of months to determine if the medication is preventing new acne lesions from forming.

Have you been evaluated by an endocrinologist? My acne got phenominally bad around my mouth right before I was diagnosed hypothyroid. Once I went on meds, I became 75% clear. Since you mention it gets really bad after sex, I wonder what your different hormone levels are like, and if that is contributing to the problem.

Have you been evaluated by an endocrinologist? My acne got phenominally bad around my mouth right before I was diagnosed hypothyroid. Once I went on meds, I became 75% clear. Since you mention it gets really bad after sex, I wonder what your different hormone levels are like, and if that is contributing to the problem.

hey arizabif,

i was only tested for TSH levels (no T3, T4) - the test came back normal. Well maybe i should request the additional T3, T4 tests.

hey arizabif,

i was only tested for TSH levels (no T3, T4) - the test came back normal. Well maybe i should request the additional T3, T4 tests.

Yes your endo will also test your T4, and T3. I myself am suffering an auto immune thyroid disease so i am hoping that once i get that balanced that my acne will stop around my chin and mouth as well.

@arizabif, what medication are you on for your thyroid? Is it levothyroxine? Is your thryoid back to normal? No more symptoms?

Joshua, I would consider having your t3, t4, and tsh levels checked, to rule that out as a cause of this. If you show up as normal, but on the low end of the normal range, perhaps discuss with your doctor about a trial of thyroid meds, to see if it makes your skin better or worse.

Jay, yes, I take levothyroxine. My thyroid crapped out after I had a baby. :/ Am I asymptomatic? Sorta. I still sometimes experience the symptoms that brought me to the doctor in the first place. BUT, I also have iron deficient anemia and have a few other things going on health-wise, and they all have similar symptoms. So eh, I dunno. Right now I'm taking extra B complex to see if that has a positive effect on my collection of weird symptoms. It's only been a few days, so too soon to tell, I think!

Joshua, I would consider having your t3, t4, and tsh levels checked, to rule that out as a cause of this. If you show up as normal, but on the low end of the normal range, perhaps discuss with your doctor about a trial of thyroid meds, to see if it makes your skin better or worse.

Jay, yes, I take levothyroxine. My thyroid crapped out after I had a baby. :/ Am I asymptomatic? Sorta. I still sometimes experience the symptoms that brought me to the doctor in the first place. BUT, I also have iron deficient anemia and have a few other things going on health-wise, and they all have similar symptoms. So eh, I dunno. Right now I'm taking extra B complex to see if that has a positive effect on my collection of weird symptoms. It's only been a few days, so too soon to tell, I think!

Ok i will follow this lead.

I was diagnosed with b12 deficiency back in the days, i did 4 b12 shots but i didnt see any improvement regarding my face.

Have you ever tried using diluted tea tree oil on your face to help heal your active acne? It may not eliminate acne entirely (it helped a bit for me), but surely helps to speed up the process of healing active acne. And also, have you tried switching brands when it comes to shaving cream? Some people have major allergic reactions to different types of shaving creams, so you might want to switch to something designed for sensitive skin that have simpler, less complicated formulas compared to most shaving creams out there.

A few days ago I an issue with unbearable itchy pimples, but I found that spraying (NOT rubbing it on with a cotton ball or pad) on toner as a mild moisturizer after I have cleansed my face helped with that a lot. (Toners help to balance out the skin, as cleansers tend to strip the skin of natural moisturizers.)

Edited by youyesyou

Have you ever tried using diluted tea tree oil on your face to help heal your active acne? It may not eliminate acne entirely (it helped a bit for me), but surely helps to speed up the process of healing active acne. And also, have you tried switching brands when it comes to shaving cream? Some people have major allergic reactions to different types of shaving creams, so you might want to switch to something designed for sensitive skin that have simpler, less complicated formulas compared to most shaving creams out there.

A few days ago I an issue with unbearable itchy pimples, but I found that spraying (NOT rubbing it on with a cotton ball or pad) on toner as a mild moisturizer after I have cleansed my face helped with that a lot. (Toners help to balance out the skin, as cleansers tend to strip the skin of natural moisturizers.)

i have used tea tree oil as well like other oils like siberian tree oil etc. - when it comes to the things i put on my face nothing works - just the oral stuff works for some short period of time