Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chai Tea

What do I do with active acne?

I just started the regimen (Day 2) and I have a couple of questions.

1) Should I put more BP on the big suckers to help shed the skin and kill bacteria inside?

2) I don't really like popping my pimples anymore. But sometimes there are the ones that linger for like weeks that stay inflamed and you know there's stuff underneath and it's kind of come to a head but there's more under the skin. I accidentally broke one open the other day and I just went ahead and squeezed the white stuff out (there was a lot of yucky stuff!). No hard squeezing btw. And it seems to be healing a lot quicker than the ones I leave alone. Is it better to pop them (safely) or just leave them? I know the website says to never touch them but my own personal experience is they heal quicker when extracted.

3) Should I ice my active acne lesions? I don't want to deviate from the regimen, unless consulted with the more experienced.

4) The acne lesions that do get popped/opened accidentally, be it from showers, being a little too rough with your skin, etc, should I apply Neosporin on them?

I just started the regimen (Day 2) and I have a couple of questions.

1) Should I put more BP on the big suckers to help shed the skin and kill bacteria inside?

2) I don't really like popping my pimples anymore. But sometimes there are the ones that linger for like weeks that stay inflamed and you know there's stuff underneath and it's kind of come to a head but there's more under the skin. I accidentally broke one open the other day and I just went ahead and squeezed the white stuff out (there was a lot of yucky stuff!). No hard squeezing btw. And it seems to be healing a lot quicker than the ones I leave alone. Is it better to pop them (safely) or just leave them? I know the website says to never touch them but my own personal experience is they heal quicker when extracted.

3) Should I ice my active acne lesions? I don't want to deviate from the regimen, unless consulted with the more experienced.

4) The acne lesions that do get popped/opened accidentally, be it from showers, being a little too rough with your skin, etc, should I apply Neosporin on them?

Hey, good luck on the regimen! Here to answer some of your questions...

1) I always add more BP to active acne areas; especially the big, painful cystic ones. In fact, what I do personally is, right after I wash my face and pat it dry, I dab some BP on the active acne (in my case, I only get one really awful pimple every 3-4 weeks or so) and leave a nice chunk of BP sitting on the pimple until I apply BP. I don't know if this helps at all, but in my experience, it gets rid of the pimple just a little bit sooner than normal. And while I'm putting BP on, I make sure to add even more BP to the active acne areas. Make sure to be extra gentle while applying BP to active acne because the slightest irritation will make the pimple last longer. Let the BP do the work itself, rubbing in the BP really hard won't help at all but instead make things worse. Add more BP to the area, glide your fingers around the pimple gently and let the BP soak in by itself.

2) I don't pop pimples unless they're whiteheads. I don't like pimples on my face, but whiteheads make me extra self consious. They just look really gross to me for some reason. If someone else has a whitehead, I don't really care..but on my own face, it has to be gone before I go out. I usually use a sharp pair of tweezers to gently pinch the tip of the white head and just squeeze the gunk out with two q-tips. I find it a little bit more "sterile" this way as opposed to using my fingers. I only pop any whiteheads I have before I wash my face, that way I can wash whatever gunk is left over right out of the area that is usually, by now, open. After I wash and dry my face, I immediately put a big dab of BP on the area I just popped and then wait 10-15 minutes and apply BP as usual; making sure to apply more BP to the area I just popped. Does using a sharp tweezer cause scarring to the area? Not really, for me anyway. It may for you, it may not..not really sure, but it's worth a try at least once.

3) I've never used ice to an active pimple. I've heard a lot of people say this actually helps a lot...and it is just water if you think about it. I don't think it would necessarily hurt UNLESS you do it after applying BP. If you do it before washing your face, that's the best thing I think. If you ice the pimple long before you intend on washing your face and reapplying the BP you're probably washing some of the BP off with the water from the ice. And the BP is what is going to truly make that sucker go away. So if you choose to ice, try to do it before applying BP that way you don't wash any of it off.

4) I've never applied Neosporin to my face. The BP and moisturizer heals the "craters" left by popped pimples within a day or two. Make sure to add more BP to the area you popped and you shouldn't have any problems. Popping the pimple before taking a hot shower, like I said before, could also help to clean out the gunk, etc as opposed to just popping it and leaving it to crust over.

Hope this helped!

I put a needle in a flame to kill germs and then prick the surface of the bastards. I also remove milla with a needle, before i discovered this i was stuck with the milla.

I need stuff off my face, i cant stand the thought of an infection or things trapped under my skin.