Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crystal_willow

do you have difficulty in social situations due to your acne/scaring?

I was reading psychologies the today when I saw a piece about facial disfigurement and skimmed it thinking about whether people with skin conditions end up dealing with similar emotional hurdles as people with disfigurements.

After reading the research into the psychological effect of having long term acne I think alot of the useful advice from the changing faces charity could be at least somewhat relevant to people on acne.org

I went on the website to see if they made any meantion of acne at all, they don't, unsurprisingly but I found this

http://admin.changingfaces.org.uk/download...20Reactions.pdf

Aguide to coping with other peoples reactions to facial disfigurement and how to manage their reactions and your improve your own confidence when communicating with people.

Anyway I thought this may be helpful to at least someone so I shared it :)

p.s I know most people on here are going to understand why I have put this here but to people who like to ney-say things : please leave out any comments moaning about me comparing acne to facial disfigurement saying acne isn't as bad etc etc, I am just passing on some useful and well researched/put together emotional/behavioural educational information that someone on here may find useful.

Though I will point out that acne is actually meantioned on the website as one possible cause of disfigurement.

xx

Edited by crystal_willow

Thanks, crystal_willow.

I found the booklet both uplifting and informative.

I'm sure no one is tempted to bemoan your comparison of acne to disfigurement. The author clearly explains that disfigurement - in this context - is synonymous with ''visual difference'' and ''unusual appearance''. Which applies to many skin diseases, including acne.

I am looking forward to your future findings regarding both skin and psychology.

Thank you for sharing the link, Crystal! I'm headed to work but will read as soon as I can. Thanks again!

Thanks, crystal_willow.

I found the booklet both uplifting and informative.

I'm sure no one is tempted to bemoan your comparison of acne to disfigurement. The author clearly explains that disfigurement - in this context - is synonymous with ''visual difference'' and ''unusual appearance''. Which applies to many skin diseases, including acne.

I am looking forward to your future findings regarding both skin and psychology.

Thankyou for your comments :)

You're welcome, and I'm glad it seemed useful to someone else :)

That pdf is great, awesome! I have social anxiety disorder/social phobia http://www.socialphobia.org/whatis.html and it's partly due to my acne scarring. I'm going to mentally practise those questions ;) Even when the information is rather common-sensical or basic, it serves as a great reminder/confirmation. Thanks a lot!

Im glad its still helping people :)