Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have suffered from acne since I was ten years old. Basically, like all of you, I have tried every cream, wash, scrub, moisturizer, oil, toner and mask I could get my hands on for all of those years. In March 2010 I was prescribed Diane 35 and in May 100mg Doxycycline daily, although my doctor told me that I was Accutane-bound either way, I figured it was worth a shot. So, I took those until July. They made a world of difference - considerably less painful cysts, and pimples went away within a few days instead of a few weeks. They didn't do anything for blackheads, though, and I started getting lots of tiny red pimples in places where I didn't get acne before (ie, forehead and nose). Gradually I started to get more cysts (still less than before I started taking it, though).

On July 26 I went to the doctor and he prescribed me Accutane. It's much different in Canada - I went in, we discussed my options, he told me Accutane was the best choice, told me the side-effects of past users of Accutane he has had, not to go in the sun, not to get pregnant and that was it. We picked up the pills that day, and I have to go in for the first and only pregnancy test and blood test after my first month of taking the pill.

I decided I'd make a log because most of the time I have nobody to talk to about acne, and this might help me out a bit if one or two people drop by :cool:

Dosage: 40mg for 2 weeks/80mg for the rest of the month + 2 months

Still on Diane and Doxy (I don't know if he renewed my prescription, but he told me to take it until the bottle was done to help the IB. My last pill in the bottle is August 9. Am going to discontinue taking Doxy whether or not he renewed it.)

Products: Cleanser - C&C Morning Burst

Moisturizer - Neutrogena Moisture spf 30

Sunscreen - Neutrogena Ultrasheer face sunscreen spf 45

Chapstick - Polysporin Daily Lip Protectant or Lypsyl. Vaseline at night

Shampoo and Conditioner are both for dry scalp/dandruff

Day 5

The first day I woke up and noticed a difference with my skin. Tight all over and my jaw was flaking. I was camping and didn't have any moisturizer except some sunscreen that doesn't do a great job of moisturizing - just protecting from the sun. Also had very dry lips, I didn't want to eat or talk.

Day 6

First time I noticed flushing. I thought it was severe sunburn from the sun, but my entire face was red - not just my cheeks. I figured it could still be sunburn though, because I expected my face to be really weak against the sun since, you know, I was on Accutane after all...

Also skipped my pill this day. Took my other 2 pills, went to take tane last and the little bugger fell on the ground. Of course it was midnight and I couldn't find it even looking with a flashlight.

Day 7

Got home from camping. Was completely red until after supper when my skintone was completely normal. That was when I realised I had severe flushing pretty much the entire weekend.

Day 8-11

No IB yet. No progress yet either. Eyes itchy and irritated easily by the wind, although indoors they are fine unless the fan is near me. Skin dry and flaky around jaw. Lips dry and very very cracked around the edges. Yesterday, a friend said I had something in my hair and picked out a piece of dandruff :redface::(. Decided I definitely need to start using shampoo and conditioner for dry scalp and washing less (I have washed every day and sometimes twice a day for as long as I can remember), since I didn't have dandruff before I started my course. In other news, I'm finally finished with school. After working so hard, I finally have time to rest and help my body through this first month of Tane before school rolls around again in September.

Edited by lindan_x

Hi, lindan!

I wish you much luck on your bout with Accutane! Hopefully you're flushing and dryness will die down soon enough.

I'll be following your log from now on!

-Bijouie.

Hey there,

You started the day before me! I'm only on 20mg for the first month.. noticing an IB just now.. :cry: and I was getting some flushing in the first week which seems to be gone now.

Good luck! I'll be sure to follow your progress..

Hey there,

You started the day before me! I'm only on 20mg for the first month.. noticing an IB just now.. :cry: and I was getting some flushing in the first week which seems to be gone now.

I haven't had flushing since that weekend either - or at least not as bad that I have noticed. But it's not like I was exactly running out of class to the bathroom every half hour to check my skintone either.

I actually have been following your log for a while. Does your IB include cysts or just smaller pimples? Painful or not? Did the blackheads actually surface or just kind of disappear? I haven't noticed any change regarding blackheads yet. :confused:

Edit: I worded that a little bit wrong. I mean like.. do the blackheads "surface" like to a different texture, do they raise to the touch? or raised to the eye just looking at it, still a smooth surface

Edited by lindan_x

Day 12

The two cysts I had are healing up, one is a nice disgusting scar and one is gradually shrinking down although it never came to a head. Blackheads look darker and I guess closer to the surface, but I cant feel them or anything. The scabs I have had for a long time are finally fading to red marks. 3 or 4 new pimples on my chin, but I'm pmsing this week so I guess we could blame that instead of accutane... :cool:. I really hope I don't have the IB this week because I'd like to have nice skin for my birthday on Thursday. But then again exactly a week after my birthday is my boyfriend's birthday and I dont exactly want to be disgusting then, either. :rolleyes: I've been biting my lips to the point of them bleeding and going raw, so I hope these weeks are good lip-wise too... ;), but I guess that probably goes without saying.

Overall, my face does look pretty nice today. No flushing or anything. We are going to a family party (one of the "family parties" where everybody looks the same and they all know your name while you have no idea who they are or how they are related to you) tonight and I feel pretty confident about my skin, so that's always nice.

I've been having really weird dreams/nightmares since I started Accutane. Just last night I woke up yelling as loud as possible "GET AWAY FROM THERE". My throat still hurts, I don't even raise my voice that loud when I'm awake :|. One night I had a nightmare about Accutane itself. These dreams don't really bother me that much but it's kinda weird.

Nervous about kicking my dose up to 80mg on Monday.

Edited by lindan_x

Hey there,

I haven't had flushing since that weekend either - or at least not as bad that I have noticed. But it's not like I was exactly running out of class to the bathroom every half hour to check my skintone either.

I actually have been following your log for a while. Does your IB include cysts or just smaller pimples? Painful or not? Did the blackheads actually surface or just kind of disappear? I haven't noticed any change regarding blackheads yet. :confused:

Edit: I worded that a little bit wrong. I mean like.. do the blackheads "surface" like to a different texture, do they raise to the touch? or raised to the eye just looking at it, still a smooth surface

Hey there Lindan,

I've posted some (blurry) pics on my log of what I think might be the start of my IB. It could also just be that time of the month breakout - I dunno. I've also posted my thoughts on what's happening with my skin. I think I've just got a whole heap of nodules, not cysts. I don't really know the difference to be honest! They do hurt. I'm noticing a few blackheads are sort of pushing out and becoming inflammed. But a lot are just there in the skin, not raised. My chest has a heap of black dots on it - some a re bumpy but some are deep and you can't feel. Most of the blackheads on my face are so small, but once they start going red then you can see a small red spot and it is raised. I tried squeezing one or two (gross, sorry) but nothing comes out at all. So I've decided to leave them alone. They're hanging around for a while but I'm hoping they'll keep getting pushed out and eventually the pore will empty. That's so gross to describe but hope that helps!

visavise

Nothing tragic has happened yet and I took my last one today. Thanks for the links!

martini

Thanks for the reply! It looks like an IB to me, but I guess it depends how you break out during pms normally. The blackhead thing is the same with me - they are raised but I still can't feel them. Most users say their skin gets a sandpapery texture when the blackheads start to go away. I'm so excited for that, not gonna lie.

I'm going to attempt to add pictures in a minute... :pray: ing that it works

Okay.. I have no pictures before Doxy or Accutane, so here are some Accutane day 13.

I had to mess around with the brightness and saturation in order to see flaws (which is probably a good quality for a camera to have... ;)), so they do look a bit weird in terms of brightness and stuff. Colors are accurate. The funny thing about taking pictures is I didn't actually realise how I look. I didn't even know I had freckles on my face until I started accutane, and until this picture I thought I only had a couple around my mouth. Weird. Also the pimple on the one side of my face looks disgusssting in photo but it's kinda hard to see in person because of the angle or your eyes/the mirror and seeing that picture makes me a bit sad. :|

I might delete the pics soon or I might wait until the end of the course.. I don't know. But it makes me really nervous to have them up here even if they don't show my whole face but I dont know why.

First: took this pic to show blackheads but I couldnt get it right. You can see my weird cheek redness though (not flushed today, this is how the color is daily).

Second: the huge disgusting sideshow feature on the left side of my cheek and red marks

Third: red marks but no pimples (i dont think) on the right side of my cheek

Fourth: um.. theres a pimple in my ear... :doubt:

post-82069-1281301906_thumb.jpg

post-82069-1281301919_thumb.jpg

post-82069-1281301926_thumb.jpg

post-82069-1281301936.jpg

post-82069-1281301906_thumb.jpg

post-82069-1281301919_thumb.jpg

post-82069-1281301926_thumb.jpg

post-82069-1281301936.jpg

teepstergirl good luck with your course!

Day 14

Should I be taking pills twice a day or once? Like one at noon and one at midnight or both at midnight?

• Upgrade to 80mg/day
  • Scalp burns when I brush my hair.
  • I can scrape off layers from my lips by flaking off dead skin with my towel after showers.
  • Back pain when I bend down to wash my face in the sink or brush my teeth.
  • Forehead and nose had tiny red pimples due to Doxycycline and all of them have cleared up since Accutane.
  • No signs of an IB yet.
  • Small pimples on right cheek have turned into small whiteheads.
  • Big pimple on left cheek turned to scab.
Edited by lindan_x

Day 18

So... from the two week mark i started breaking out. There was about 4 painful pimples below my nose and a couple below my mouth. By my birthday (I don't actually think I've said how old I am in this post but *drumroll* August 12 was my sixteenth birthday!) I was clear of the breakout! :dance: so that was really nice. Currently I have those 3 or 4 little pimples that were in the right cheek pic above... they're little red marks but they aren't hyperpigmentation yet, they're still healing. One small pimple below my ear and one tiny one on my chin. The blackheads on my nose and chin have started to surface and i can not only see them, but feel them. No flushing still. :) My face is smooth and soft right now and I'm pleased, if only for a few days it is still a great change to see for the first time in years.

hey lindan hang on! i've started my accutane journey on the same day as u!

my derma told me not to mix tetracycline class with accutane as it may cause headaches.

mine's only 20mg/day so i guess i would take a longer time than you to finish the course

Hi there, Lindan! Just wanted to wish you good luck on your course. I hope it turns out really well for you--- you deserve to feel confident and beautiful. :) We're all here to support you! And keep updating!

Take care, Amy

Day 25

Body Acne- My body acne was pretty much completely cleared with Doxycycline, so Accutane didn't have to do much here. I had probably 5 or 6 pimples on my shoulders and upper arms in the beginning of my course but now they are cleared and there is just a tiny bit of scarring left in its place.

Body- Back pain hasn't subsided yet and my ankles start to hurt way faster while walking than they would have before. I am physically exhausted most of the time. During the regular school year for about three years I have had sleeping problems. This year I would have been sleeping from 4pm-7pm and not be able to sleep again until 4/5am-6am. But I couldn't stay awake past 4pm and would basically just fall asleep on the floor wherever I was. During summer school (entire month of July), I was sleeping normal hours 11pm/12am-6:30am; so I didn't think the rest of my summer would be terrible. However, I've been having sleeping problems again and now I can't seem to sleep in the night until 4/5/6am (even when I went a week waking up at 11am every day). So I've been napping quite a bit lately.

Face Acne- Not really any new pimples.. I had one that I don't remember having but I know I had it because there's a nice big scab on my cheek that I don't remember picking at... It's going to leave a nasty scar. Blackheads are disappearing! I did an egg-white/toilet paper mask (:whistle:) and it didn't do much, it cleared two small spots on the sides of my nose and that's it. A day later, though, pretty much all of the blackheads on my upper nose or whatever were gone :D. People mention to me how much better my face is getting :wub: so that's encouraging.

Face- Flushing occurred again today for the first time since week 1. Theres a dry patch of flakiness near my nose and mouth that won't really go away unless I drown it in moisturizer, and even then the moisture doesn't last very long. Face kind of stings when I apply moisturizer.

Edited by lindan_x

Hey Lindan just caught up on your log...

Re back pain - are you taking any supplements? I started to get lower back pain, then it spread to my hips so I started taking glucosamine and it TOTALLY WORKS! I was feeling good again after just 3 tablets. The bottle says to take 3 tablets a day but I'm only taking 2 since I take a bunch of other supplements and I feel like an old person on all these meds! :lol: Also re sleeping problems - I'm taking a vitamin B complex tablet. Is really helping me. Maybe add some supplements to your diet and see how they affect you. Can't hurt. Good luck!

martini Thanks for reading! Ill definitely look into that :)

Day 27

It's only been about 2 weeks since the first pics but whatever

I don't take pictures of my forehead or jaw/chin because I don't have acne there. I get tiny tiny pimples that last 1 day on my jaw sometimes and i have blackheads on my chin, but they have the same progress as the blackheads on my nose anyway.

First - Didn't mess with the colors or anything on this... you can see how i only have blackheads on the bottom part of my nose :) and no weird redness most days unless I have flushing, which doesnt last long when I do get it.

Second - Right cheek. Not much happens there

Third - Left cheek.

"Cheek" doesnt even look like a word anymore

post-82069-1282517660_thumb.jpg

post-82069-1282517750_thumb.jpg

post-82069-1282517773_thumb.jpg

post-82069-1282517660_thumb.jpg

post-82069-1282517750_thumb.jpg

post-82069-1282517773_thumb.jpg

Edited by lindan_x

Day 29

Tomorrow I have to get blood work done (my mom likes to keep these things secret until the night before :doubt:) which sucks because I pass out from needles/piercings etc. Given that this will be my first time getting blood taken, I'm very nervous. So I guess we'll hope all goes well tomorrow, and then on Monday I have a doctors appointment where my prescription will hopefully be renewed.

Nothing really exciting happening with my skin. Blackheads are almost gone :dance:. Lips are awful and it looks like I have herpes. I could post a pic but... :rolleyes:.

Edited by lindan_x

Day 33

Well here we are, a month later. It went by quicker than I would have imagined! I lied, we didn't end up going to the clinic for blood work on Wednesday (we didn't have the correct papers). We went on August 27. It was a terrible experience to begin with and then when you pair that with a miserable nurse, it's not the greatest thing to go through. It's over now though and I'm not entirely sure if my doctor's appointment is on the 30th or not, since the bloodwork was done later.

I kind of wonder why I'm only doing a three month course.. I've seen a lot of 5/6 even 7 month courses but not really three month courses. Is it because I'm young? On a higher dose? Not bad enough acne? But what I fear is that I won't be clear at the three-month mark, as most people begin to fully clear in the 5th month.

My face right now: The left cheek is really painful because I picked at it at some point. Very very very few blackheads and there is less and less each time I wash my face. There's probably like 5 left :cool:. Flushes after a day outside.

Also the sides of my ears are cracked open from dryness.

hey!, 3 mth course probably because of ur light body weight? anw have faith in ur doc and i hope the best for u :)

Day 35

There was an abnormality in my blood test results, but it didn't have anything to do with Accutane so I can keep taking it. My dosage will stay the same at 80mg/day. I have been picking without realizing it :evil: so I vow to stop. Also I need to start drinking a lot more water.

Anyways, there's nothing much happening with my face besides the blackheads disappearing. Nothing has happened on the right side and the left side is slowly but surely healing.

Pic is left side

post-82069-1283227842_thumb.jpg

post-82069-1283227842_thumb.jpg

Edited by lindan_x

Mmmm... Take a look at what we put into our bodies.

The actual substance was so thick, i poked three holes beside each other and it barely came out without really hard squeezing. It "exploded" like a really huge, tough (and satisfying to pop :shifty:) pimple. It was disgusting :|... and great :shifty:

The left is just where i wiped off my fingers. The two on the right were the explosions ;)

post-82069-1283311828_thumb.jpg

post-82069-1283311828_thumb.jpg

Edited by lindan_x