Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bennyb

Coming off Doxycycline-need probiotic info

So I am coming off of a 4 month antibiotic course. I need to start taking some probiotics. Which ones should I take and how much should I take per day?

So I am coming off of a 4 month antibiotic course. I need to start taking some probiotics. Which ones should I take and how much should I take per day?

The advice I was given was to spend money on quality probiotics, as opposed to the more inferior 'cheaper' versions. Basically, you will need good bacteria in the billions, simple google search will find a good product. I used Udo’s Choice Super 8 Hi-Potency Probiotic for a while, not cheap though.

Wow you're smart for getting on this early. I was on antibiotics for years without taking probiotics and paid for it. I'm currently using primal defense ultra probiotics that come in a glass bottle and are pretty nice quality. I've only had to use one pill so far because I just make yogurt + I'm not supplementing probiotics till I finish this diet. I would try making yogurt as you can pretty much multiply a pill by a lot and I just use my own yogurt as a starter so I get endless batches of yogurt from one pill + a gallon of milk isn't very expensive.

where should I get fiber from? Are there any other good sources than fruits and veggies? Also, when you make yoghurt from your pills do you just open the pill up and pour the contents into the yoghurt?

where should I get fiber from? Are there any other good sources than fruits and veggies? Also, when you make yoghurt from your pills do you just open the pill up and pour the contents into the yoghurt?

Yes. For the first one I used a couple scoops of store bought yogurt plus opened a probiotic capsule and then used that as my starter for everything else.

focus on fiber, probiotics are not that important, but they wont hurt.

fiber will do the bacteria in your intestine better, and so much more.

Sometimes I think you're on here to try and keep people from being clear.

Two major things you should be focusing on:

First and foremost, what's more important is not the type/quality/amount of probiotic consumed, rather, it's creating the optimal internal terrestrial environment for the good bacteria to thrive. I think this is the number one overlooked and neglected aspect of gut flora. The "good" bacteria are everywhere; the sign of a healthy gut is not so much that someone is ingesting more good bacteria, rather it's that they have the internal environment that maximizes the populations of "good", and minimizes the chance of any "bad" bacteria/microorganisms taking hold.

There are various things involved with this that may or may not be within your immediate control. If your immune system is strong, this will make a huge difference, and of course there are things you can do to maximize that... sleep/exercise/food etc. But more immediate would be to make sure your diet is perfect- ZERO refined sugar (some low-sugar fruit is probably fine), eat plenty of fibrous vegetables, and maybe keep up some natural anti-fungals for a while; raw garlic, coconut, herbs such as rosemary, oregano, thyme. Avoid any foods you have sensitivities to, and if I were you, I'd be VERY strict about avoiding gluten, alcohol, dairy, and perhaps legumes for a while. You don't want any gut irritating foods right now.

Secondly, after a course of antibiotics, your gut flora is in need of a massive re-population. Here is where the supplement is important. I think for right now, you shouldn't worry about any products with lots of fancy strains- you need a basic, massive dose, focusing largely on lactobacilli and bifido strains.

This has long been one of my favorite products:

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-10674-countr...tarian-capsules

Cheap, effective, doesn't have to be refridgerated.

Good luck.

Alright thanks guys. I don't really eat fruit anyway so avoiding sugar isn't that hard. I bought some kefir though and one bottle has only 4 grams a sugar and the other has 11g. Should I avoid the kefir due to the sugar content?

Alright thanks guys. I don't really eat fruit anyway so avoiding sugar isn't that hard. I bought some kefir though and one bottle has only 4 grams a sugar and the other has 11g. Should I avoid the kefir due to the sugar content?

No. As long as it's plain and their are no sweeteners added, the only remaining sugars is the lactose that the bacteria didn't consume. Drink it on an empty stomach if you can (which might help with delivery).