Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wowacne

Jojoba oil for extremely oily skin

My face overproduces oil regardless of if there is already a massive amount of sebum on it (7-8 after wash) or if I had just washed.

Jojoba is known for tricking the face into having enough sebum on the face.

My face will produce sebum even if I already have too much of it on the face, which is what most people experience with oily skin.

I don't understand how jojoba oil can help with oily skin.

Please discuss.

Edited by wowacne

Guest fugleee_dumbBUNNY

whoa whoa ppl, dont break my hope just like that :eh: i was just about to try jojoba oil thing and now i find out this topic and u are saying this stuff, its like its no use to struggle and try things out at all, it wont work anyways :wall:

it cant , i dont know why people here use it, use a light hydrator instead

My face overproduces oil regardless of if there is already a massive amount of sebum on it (7-8 after wash) or if I had just washed.

Jojoba is known for tricking the face into having enough sebum on the face.

No offense, but jojoba oil isn't "known" for doing any such thing, except (perhaps) among newbies on acne sites who don't know any better than to believe such an odd claim. The amount of oil on the surface of the skin has no direct influence on how much sebum is produced by the sebaceous glands below.

I don't understand how jojoba oil can help with oily skin.

It can't, unless jojoba oil has some drug-like chemical in it which alters the metabolism of sebaceous glands in some drug-like way that hasn't yet been documented. Don't hold your breath on that one!

Edited by bryan

whoa, not trying to stir up an argument with ya but you seem pretty militant about things which have not been actually been prooven so it comes accross like you are attacking this persons ideas... with little evidence to support your claims

Now I am not on one decided side of this argument. I do not have references to back up the idea that jojoba reduces the amount of sebum produced but I do not claim that it does as strongly as you claim that it does not... to quote you:

The amount of oil on the surface of the skin has no direct influence on how much sebum is produced by the sebaceous glands below.

whoa, not trying to stir up an argument with ya but you seem pretty militant about things which have not been actually been prooven so it comes accross like you are attacking this persons ideas... with little evidence to support your claims

No, quite to the contrary, I am militant about things which _have_ been proved scientifically. I was attacking that person's idea which has been soundly refuted for YEARS on this site's discussion forums.

Now I am not on one decided side of this argument. I do not have references to back up the idea that jojoba reduces the amount of sebum produced but I do not claim that it does as strongly as you claim that it does not... to quote you:

The amount of oil on the surface of the skin has no direct influence on how much sebum is produced by the sebaceous glands below.
reference for this claim please

See the thread below for which I provide the link.

It [jojoba oil] can't [affect the amount of sebum produced] , unless jojoba oil has some drug-like chemical in it which alters the metabolism of sebaceous glands in some drug-like way that hasn't yet been documented. Don't hold your breath on that one!

I have tried using jojoba oil and (scientifically) I did not have any expectations of how it would work however in my experience I did find that it reduced how oily my skin was.

You say you reduced the oiliness of your skin by putting oil on it? :)

Now was that my perception? or was it true... scientifically I would need to produce evidence in the form of oil blotting swabs and conduct an experiment on hundreds of people so no... this "prooves" nothing in the "mass population empirical experiment" sense .... but remember when there is a lack of evidence it prooves nothing one way or the other.

There is plenty of scientific evidence refuting the "feedback theory" (the idea that sebaceous glands adjust the amount of sebum they produce, based on how much is on the surface of the skin). For a good overview of that scientific evidence, read the thread I started here several years ago on that subject: "The myth of skin washing and sebum production". Here's a direct link to it:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/myth-skin...ebu-t35818.html

No, quite to the contrary, I am militant about things which _have_ been proved scientifically. I was attacking that person's idea which has been soundly refuted for YEARS on this site's discussion forums.

reference for this claim please

See the thread below for which I provide the link.

It [jojoba oil] can't [affect the amount of sebum produced] , unless jojoba oil has some drug-like chemical in it which alters the metabolism of sebaceous glands in some drug-like way that hasn't yet been documented. Don't hold your breath on that one!

I have tried using jojoba oil and (scientifically) I did not have any expectations of how it would work however in my experience I did find that it reduced how oily my skin was.

You say you reduced the oiliness of your skin by putting oil on it? :)

Now was that my perception? or was it true... scientifically I would need to produce evidence in the form of oil blotting swabs and conduct an experiment on hundreds of people so no... this "prooves" nothing in the "mass population empirical experiment" sense .... but remember when there is a lack of evidence it prooves nothing one way or the other.

There is plenty of scientific evidence refuting the "feedback theory" (the idea that sebaceous glands adjust the amount of sebum they produce, based on how much is on the surface of the skin). For a good overview of that scientific evidence, read the thread I started here several years ago on that subject: "The myth of skin washing and sebum production". Here's a direct link to it:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/myth-skin...ebu-t35818.html

I was asking for a link to a reference, not a discussion on acne.org

I question how you can "soundly refute" something on a discussion forum thread you started as opposed to say.... using direct and specific experimental evidence

jojobas effect on the skin may be nothing or it may be real and based on something other than feedback theory which you clearly hate with an emotive passion for some unknown reason? (there are many areas of science which are disputed within the scientific community, I hope you don't read science journals or I don't think you would ever sleep)

We were specifically discussing jojobas effect on sebum, not how washing effects sebum so the thread you gave is not about this specific question and therefore "soundly refutes" nothing

and yes I found that by the middle of the day my skin was actually less oily than when I had not used jojoba.... i did not ignore this experience just because there is not a known text to back it up...nor did i assume the same thing would happen to others.... I just found it interesting

again, not saying that the theory is true but you don't KNOW it isnt and have not provided a citation to back up your claims. just a link to an entire thread which does not meantion jojoba oil once..... interesting

you seem to be very easily angered about this subject and from reading the thread all I really took from it was how unwilling you were to listen to another opinion other than your own. Even "medicalman" could not talk any sense into you

after reading the thread I have realised that you clearly seem to love arguing for arguments sake rather than discover any truth so I will not be making another reply.

I prefer to talk to people who i can have a two way conversation with and you, at present, are not one of those people.

I hope whatever makes you this angry gets resolved at some point and that you allow others to explore their ideas without attacking them so harshly with unspecific evidence.

I was asking for a link to a reference, not a discussion on acne.org

I question how you can "soundly refute" something on a discussion forum thread you started as opposed to say.... using direct and specific experimental evidence

I cited an important study by a pair of doctors, one of whom became probably the most famous name in the field of dermatology. It's those doctors who did the direct experimentation that disproved the "feedback theory" and then published their results in a renowned medical journal, dear. Didn't you even bother to read that thread?

I don't have a link to that study, but if you live anywhere near a medical library, I strongly recommend that you obtain a paper copy of it, and read it directly. You'll learn a lot about the physiology of sebaceous glands.

jojobas effect on the skin may be nothing or it may be real and based on something other than feedback theory which you clearly hate with an emotive passion for some unknown reason? (there are many areas of science which are disputed within the scientific community, I hope you don't read science journals or I don't think you would ever sleep)

Yes. I clearly stated myself in a previous post that IF jojoba oil has an effect on sebum production, it must be due to some heretofore undocumented medicinal effect, due to some chemical in the oil itself. It cannot be due to the "feedback theory", which has been soundly refuted.

I _do_ read scientific journals, by the way. I suggest you do the same.

We were specifically discussing jojobas effect on sebum, not how washing effects sebum so the thread you gave is not about this specific question and therefore "soundly refutes" nothing

I think you know just as well as I do that the two are intimately connected. The poster "wowacne" 's statement that "jojoba is known for tricking the face into [thinking that it's] having enough sebum on the face" has 'feedback theory' written all over it! :)

and yes I found that by the middle of the day my skin was actually less oily than when I had not used jojoba.... i did not ignore this experience just because there is not a known text to back it up...nor did i assume the same thing would happen to others.... I just found it interesting

again, not saying that the theory is true but you don't KNOW it isnt and have not provided a citation to back up your claims. just a link to an entire thread which does not meantion jojoba oil once..... interesting

That's the kind of casual observation that's often reported by posters on these forums, but I don't take such claims very seriously. I'd be much more likely to take it seriously if you would do a more scientific test of it using Sebutape test-strips, which you can easily order through the mail. If you were to test it more scientifically that way, you might be surprised YOURSELF by your own findings!

you seem to be very easily angered about this subject and from reading the thread all I really took from it was how unwilling you were to listen to another opinion other than your own. Even "medicalman" could not talk any sense into you

I think this is some rather obvious projection on your part. You'd be shocked at how many different opinions I listen to on a regular basis! ;)

I hope whatever makes you this angry gets resolved at some point and that you allow others to explore their ideas without attacking them so harshly with unspecific evidence.

You have yet to see me when I'm "angry". I suggest you work through your own hypersensitivity.

Edited by bryan

I have just skimmed your post - I have not heard much about jojoba oil however I use Decleor's ylang ylang and other essential oils and it really soothes my skin. Don't use it every day just a few drops before my moisturiser in the morning and I have noticed a reduction in my oiliness!