Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vasper

Should I ONLY be taking Accutane, and doing nothing else?

Hello, I'm currently in my 4th week of being on Accutane for my first course, going through the dreaded IB phase :(. My regimen as of now contains Purpose Liquid cleanser, Cetaphil Moisturizer w/ SPF 15 and this multivitamin

I thought all this would be enough to weaken the IB phase a little but I don't think it has. My main question is, are the products I'm using are good enough to stick with them or should I just dump them and let the tane do its job? I remember my derm saying something along the lines of "all you need to do is take this, and nothing else" but she didn't entirely object to using cleansing, multivatmins etc. Thanks for responses :D

Edited by Vasper

Hello, I'm currently in my 4th week of being on Accutane for my first course, going through the dreaded IB phase :(. My regimen as of now contains Purpose Liquid cleanser, Cetaphil Moisturizer w/ SPF 15 and this multivitamin

I thought all this would be enough to weaken the IB phase a little but I don't think it has. My main question is, are the products I'm using are good enough to stick with them or should I just dump them and let the tane do its job? I remember my derm saying something along the lines of "all you need to do is take this, and nothing else" but she didn't entirely object to using cleansing, multivatmins etc. Thanks for responses :D

Hi there Vasper,

Doesn't really matter at the end of your accutane course what you do; you won't really get "better" results if you use a moisturizer/cleanser etc. Just do the basics of washing your face daily and drinking water. Sometimes people get light skin peeling on their face (almost like a sunburn in certain spots) so they elect to use moisturizers to get around that. I'd say just using a moisturizer should be enough. Unless you took the vitamins before accutane, I really don't see them as necessary. Same goes for the cleansing. When I was on accutane I did really nothing else aside from taking my pills and got really good results.

Edited by Jxr

Heya

It's fine to use a gentle cleanser, and definetly continue using a sunscreen... but beware of any multivitamin- you shouldn't be taking any vitamin/mineral supplement with Vit A in it. Also, avoid foods high in Vit A. The consumer medication info sheet that comes with the treatment will re-iterate this (Accutane in itself is enough Vit A / Retinol).

Best, Shantelle