Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShadowGirl93

Your favorite exercise?

Hi everyone,

I'm kind of in a fitness rut, as I like to change up my exercise routine to prevent boredom and the plateau effect.

I'd like to know what exercises you've tried and what are your favorites. :)

I think it's funny how everyone always says that fitness is soooo important to overall health and the health of the skin, but then... nobody really talks about it here (or so I've seen, at least).

So, what do you do? Also, how do you deal with sweat? I find that my face sweats when doing aerobics but I'm not sure if I should wash it or what.

Just bouncing some ideas around.

Running is definitely my favourite type of exercise, I love sprinting! :wiggle:

I don't sweat too much but sometimes after I've been for a run my forehead is just starting to sweat, and the rest of my face just feels really warm, so because I usually go early It's a good time to do my regimen when I get home. But if It's the middle of the day I tend to just wipe it gently with a towel, not sure if that's the right thing to do. :confused:

Favorite? Dancing.. by far. I choreograph for several dance shows at school, but also do the nightlife dancing thing too, a lot. So freeing, a great work-out, and stress relief at its best.

Most effective though.. is probably compound lift, free-weight resistance training. Can't beat that for health benefits.

And sweat - I just take a shower or wash with my facial cleanser. I have insensitive (ahaha) skin though, so bad test case.

Edited by greentiger87

Capoeira! It's dancing meets martial arts, and you get the strength, flexibility, and agility of a freakin' jungle cat after practicing for long enough. :)

I haven't done it in a while but it is so much fun, unlike exercising in a gym (BO-RING)..

i ride my bicycle around, swim in the ocean and run. well i did run, but accutane is making that a bit difficult atm. hoping to run again soon!

try something new defiantly! i watched 'whip it' last night and thats all about roller derby! haha it made me realise exercise comes in all shapes and sizes.

x

Wow you guys are a lot more adventurous than I am! I usually get a video from the library and do that until I have to take it back and then get a different one and do that, it's a lot of fun to constantly switch it up, and that's the easiest way since I have no gym membership/gym equipment. :P

Yeah. I don't know what to do about the sweat either. I just end up doing my whole routine early. :| There's probably an easier/better way.

I always time it so that I take a shower after my workout (which is always a run). I've ran cross country and track throughout high school but it's a love/hate relationship. During the school year it's kinda annoying though. I usually find myself taking 2 showers a day; one in the morning because when I wake up my hair is bad...and one in the afternoon/night after running. If you're not sweaty enough to take a shower maybe use a toner? I can tolerate 3 face washes a day though if I have to. Definitely at least rinse or something to get that sweat off your face though.

YOGA!

There are so many things I love yoga for...I could write a whole lot about this if I was awake, but I gotta get to bed. Yoga is something you can check out without getting a membership anywhere though. Most places let you pay by individual class, so if you don't want to commit you could go to a few classes and then continue with the new things you learned at home.

Kick boxing! It's kick ass. I work up a sweat in no time...

usually I just shower right after.

I can still kick your ass >_> lmao

I have to agree with tree about how great Yoga is. I was skeptical at first but have learned its benefits, both mental and physical, are truly outstanding.

I really enjoy doing the P90X series.

Especially the Ab Ripper X

If you haven't heard of it, I highly reccomend it.

It's one of the most challenging abs exercises out there, and at first it feels impossible. Once you get used to it, you get addicted. I just love working out. Releasing all those endorphins from your body. I swear it's like a drug. :dance:

Everyone and their mother is doing P90X lately.. its looks like it gets you really fit. But my main goal right now is just gaining weight, so I don't think its for me :( I don't watch TV on TV anymore, but when I did those infomercials were the least annoying of the possibilities :)

Also rock climbing is awesome! I have yet to climb real rocks though. There's not many options around these parts.

Edited by greentiger87

I love swimming, and my dance class made me really toned!

But since I'm no longer in class, and at home.. I'm a bit lazy.

I just turn on my OnDemand and workout with the TV.

Crunches, sit-ups, and pushups are the ones I do really fast.

I run in place and I punch-kick in the air, aanndd I enjoy walking in the evening.

I used to hate exercise, but since it's good for you, makes you happy, I really like it =)

Everyone and their mother is doing P90X lately.. its looks like it gets you really fit. But my main goal right now is just gaining weight, so I don't think its for me :( I don't watch TV on TV anymore, but when I did those infomercials were the least annoying of the possibilities :)

Also rock climbing is awesome! I have yet to climb real rocks though. There's not many options around these parts.

It still may be in your best interest to do light cardio everyday while weight training (and of course eating more calories than you burn) to gain weight.

Daily light cardio will cause your body to be in a constant state of stress, thus causing it to rebuild muscles faster hence faster muscle growth and more weight gain.

If you're a skinny dude, and you can eat whatever without gaining, do P90x. Buy weight gainer supplements (calory shakes) and you will see a difference, and you will gain healthy weight!

Chin-ups are fun for me. Plus seated bench press on a machine. I can't really do free weights because of my back but I don't remember finding them fun. I like walking everywhere too.

Really well defined abdominal muscles are disgusting. So is being toned. Especially if you don't have muscle mass to begin with or if you're a woman.

Already mentioned but I prefer jogging and short periods of yoga.

I get too bored doing Yoga for long periods of time, but in 20 minutes chunks, it's pretty nice. I enjoy doing it most first thing in the morning or last thing before bed.

Jogging also gives me that runner's high. Love it. I typically do it when I get home from work, then shower immediately afterward. I also found a weight resistance thing stashed away in a drawer that I want to start using.

P90X is something everyone's been telling me to try, I think I'll do it. But what IS it exactly?

And I do yoga when I'm about to have an emotional outburst of any kind. Fixes me right up. Haha :)

Chin-ups are fun for me. Plus seated bench press on a machine. I can't really do free weights because of my back but I don't remember finding them fun. I like walking everywhere too.

Really well defined abdominal muscles are disgusting. So is being toned. Especially if you don't have muscle mass to begin with or if you're a woman.

Yes, because women should all be dainty, pretty little things with big breasts, flat stomachs with no definition and round asses.

I can respect someone's personal preferences, but the sexism in your statement is not respectable and quite "disgusting" in it's own right.

P90X is something everyone's been telling me to try, I think I'll do it. But what IS it exactly?

And I do yoga when I'm about to have an emotional outburst of any kind. Fixes me right up. Haha :)

YES! I have noticed Yoga calms me. P9OX is this: http://www.extremebodyworkout.com/p90x-products/p90x.php

It's basically just another T.V. advertised workout regimen, but if videos keep you focused, it may be of value to you. I get bored with videos really fast. At least with jogging and Yoga, I can meditate instead of having to keep turning to watch a screen to see if I'm doing it right!