Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've been using SA to treat my acne for a while now and have never used BP before. I've done some research and found out many people are having success by using both.

The problem is that i couldn't find out how to use them together.

For ex:

-should i use BP in the daytime or night time? how 'bout SA?

-Cream, gel, or cleanser?

-What brand should would you recommend of BP? what %?

I saw a girl on youtube who uses a SA cleanser and a BP cream. She says that was her "cure".

I really want to try this.

If you are using them both, would you mind telling me how you're going about it and how it's been working for you?

Thank you :D

Edited by dremcast99

im using clean & clear advantage kit. uses bp cleanser, sa moisturizer and spot treatment, workin great so far

I'm glad it's working for you. How did your skin react to the products in the beginning? I've never used BP before so i'm wondering if it'll dry up my skin or give me initial breakouts.

Medicated cleansers are ineffective as anything but cleansers. The active ingredient gets washed down the drain. Not to mention, the presence of detergents makes the exfoliating action of the Salicylic Acid really unlikely (the pH will be off). Gels are usually recommended for acneic skin, because the ingredients that form the base of creams can sometimes clog pores. Gels often absorb better as well.

I'd use SA during the day (apply in the morning) and BP at night (apply at bedtime). Tbh it doesn't matter much either way, because both cause sun sensitivity, but since BP is the new variable, adding it at night will give your skin time to calm down after any initial irritation. You need to use a good sunscreen regardless.

Finding a good BP product isn't hard. Keep in mind that any concentration above 2.5% percent is no more effective and much more irritating.. but those 10% creams are cheap and easily available. Dan's BP is beyond great, but only available online.

Finding a well formulated SA product, in which actual exfoliation occurs (and not just SA's anti-inflammatory action), is not easy. Paula's Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid solution is your best bet. Neutrogena Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment is another option.

Gluck!

Medicated cleansers are ineffective as anything but cleansers. The active ingredient gets washed down the drain. Not to mention, the presence of detergents makes the exfoliating action of the Salicylic Acid really unlikely (the pH will be off). Gels are usually recommended for acneic skin, because the ingredients that form the base of creams can sometimes clog pores. Gels often absorb better as well.

I'd use SA during the day (apply in the morning) and BP at night (apply at bedtime). Tbh it doesn't matter much either way, because both cause sun sensitivity, but since BP is the new variable, adding it at night will give your skin time to calm down after any initial irritation. You need to use a good sunscreen regardless.

Finding a good BP product isn't hard. Keep in mind that any concentration above 2.5% percent is no more effective and much more irritating.. but those 10% creams are cheap and easily available. Dan's BP is beyond great, but only available online.

Finding a well formulated SA product, in which actual exfoliation occurs (and not just SA's anti-inflammatory action), is not easy. Paula's Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid solution is your best bet. Neutrogena Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment is another option.

Gluck!

Thank you for the well written respond :D