Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nitemare

Regime for 7+ Years - Time for accutane?

So Im 37 years old and getting pretty tired of dealing with acne. Ive had moderate since teenager. Ive been to tons of derms since - tried all the cyclines, etc. Then I found this site and went with that. Well, its been working OK - almost clear not all. But, the constant itching, flaking, and mainly time it takes in morning and night is taking its toll. Now, I have been willing to deal with all this since its clearing up acne. Just recently (about month ago) I decided to dump the regime and just see what happens. I stopped all caffeine, sugars, fried foods. Well, that did not work. Acne came roaring right back.

So, here I am..2 weeks into the regime again (after 1 whole week off it). I just ordered new supplies. However, I have a derm appointment next week. I did go to a derm about 2 months ago and he refused to put me on tane because I was not severe enough and also first visit. He said my acne is due to dandruff from hair?!?!? and prescribed me: selenium sulfide 2.5% (lotion)

ketolonazole (200mg). Well, I did not try either of them because the pills are not good for you and fungus. Derm also said to stop BP as it is doing nothing. Anwyay, I did not like him so Im going to a different Derm next week.

So, Derm#2 visit - If by next week my acne is almost all clear (which it looks to be on its way thanks to dans regime) - should I go ahead and still ask for tane? I have a strong feeling derm is going to laugh and prescibe some off the wall junk again. I might just cancel the appointment.

But..going on Tane for 1 year or whatever (my health insurance does cover it) and not having to deal with BP for rest of my life might be work it.

Mind you Im married with kids..so I have no worries about college, dating, etc..

What do you think? I also have again, minor back acne which I did try to treat thru derm but it was just temporary. Maybe even more reason to try tane? I dont know.

What do you think?

So, Derm#2 visit - If by next week my acne is almost all clear (which it looks to be on its way thanks to dans regime)

See how that works out, and If your not happy I'd try and get Accutane.

Yeah, I plan on seeing the derm regardless. But, if im near clear or close to it I dont think derm will put me on tane. I was thinking about just stopping the regime until the appointment, but could not deal with all the breakouts.

Im curious though if staying on BP for the rest of your life is really the way to go. It seems to me it is not and there should be a more reliable and less chemical inducing fix over time.

The fact that you were still itchy and red and dry after 7 years on the regimen is kind of weird in itself. After my first 5 months on the regimen, my itching, dryness, and redness went away completely. I'm currently dealing with dryer skin than I'm used to because the house I'm living in has shit loads of chlorine in the water; which dries out not only your hair but your skin. But once my chlorine-filtering showerhead gets here, I shouldn't have anymore problems.

Have you tried jojoba oil and/or AHA? If you're currently using jojoba oil, try using it as a mask/scrub (this is where I learned how to do it) and this helps with dryness really well. Water quality might also be a factor for you. If you have been living in a house with chlorine in the water and/or hard water you may have problems. Skin on the regimen is very delicate and even the smallest things will either dry our skin out or break us out.

If you live in an apartment and/or always have you probably have both hard water and chlorine; as it's a health department guideline for all businesses to install a water chlorinator to keep water clean; IE: the business/apartment complex adds tons of bleach into the water that's coming out of your taps.

Where I'm living right now, we own a business from our home and we had to install a water chlorinator and that's why my skin's been so friggen dry lately hahaha. If you think the water could possibly be the culprit, they do sell chlorine filtering shower heads to use. I actually just bought mine today from Bed, Bath and Beyond (the one I bought).

Hope this helped :)

Water is good. Actually Ive lived in 4 different places over past 7 years. No hard water. I have been using 4 drops of Joba Oil for probably the past 3 years. Its actually not that bad, only probably for the first hour I apply BP, then I apply Eucerin 15SPH and Joba at same time. After an hour, Im pretty much OK until next application. But, I ofcourse still have back acne - not bad but enough where its more than average person. So I dunno. I dont really think I have 'enough' to warrant tane on the first visit. I bet the derm will want me to try another topical first. Im just going to walk out if thats the case since Im just so done with that. Its either BP or bust (meaning tane). I feel I put in my time already on everything else prescribed. I did make 2 separate appointments with different derms over next 3 weeks just in case I dont like the first one.

Edited by nitemare

Water is good. Actually Ive lived in 4 different places over past 7 years. No hard water. I have been using 4 drops of Joba Oil for probably the past 3 years. Its actually not that bad, only probably for the first hour I apply BP, then I apply Eucerin 15SPH and Joba at same time. After an hour, Im pretty much OK until next application. But, I ofcourse still have back acne - not bad but enough where its more than average person. So I dunno. I dont really think I have 'enough' to warrant tane on the first visit. I bet the derm will want me to try another topical first. Im just going to walk out if thats the case since Im just so done with that. Its either BP or bust (meaning tane). I feel I put in my time already on everything else prescribed. I did make 2 separate appointments with different derms over next 3 weeks just in case I dont like the first one.

it scared me how they just showed like an advertisement on tv .that tane was linked to chrons disease ect .an d that if your one of the persons suffering from that you can get millions of dollars. i dont know if youv seen it

I googled accutane bad and read some really really horrible side effects - Liver gives out, erectyle disfunction, bones give out, digestive system, loss of hair and it goes on and on.

Maybe I just might cancel my derm appointment and stick with regime.

Dude,

You're flip flopping on this ALOT. If you are gonna go on Accutane.. It's something you've got to commit to 100%. But you've got to come up with a plan and stick to it or else you're just gonne keep going back and fourth forever. Here's mine.

I started the regimen about three weeks ago. Working wonders so far. (Severe back acne, btw) But I can't see myself staying on it forever. I work 12 hours a day, and my time is precious to me.. I can't spend a good chunk of my day doing the regimen. But, I'm going on vacation to Florida in a couple months. I'm going to stay on the regimen through Florida so I can swim with no shirt without being humiliated. After I get back, It's time to start the Accutane..

I don't think it's as bad as people say it is. It's gotten a bad rap because some senators kid killed himself while he was on it. You ever think it wasn't the Accutane, but the fact that his dad worked for the government that made him depressed? And those TV commercials. It's just some scumbags trying to make a quick buck. Don't get me wrong, Accutane is serious stuff. But it's not a death sentence.

Anyway, I'm rambling on alot here. But the moral of the story is, commit to something and go without. Make a list of pros and cons or something. Good luck!

I definately never had or have 'Cystic Acne'. From what I am reading, tane is for this type only. Appears derms have been prescribing tane to patients with regular acne. The more I read on side effects, the less I am inclined to see the derm.

Well, today is great - almost all clear! Just usual burning and redness but not bad. I really have to think about this. I have an entire week to decide. Right now though, Im leaning towards regime and skipping derm appointments completely.

Reading stuff like this below is worrisome:

I am 30. I took 60mg of Accutane a day at the beg of 1997 for 5 months.

I was 17 then.

My teeth are ruined.

My back is ruined.

I feel like the poster child for fibromyalgia.

Always thirsty.

Always in pain.

Always anxiety.

I just got my medical records today. Guess what I took before the Accutane?

Tetracycline.

If you do your research, those two are really not supposed to go together.

I wish I could go back and get my (mild-to-moderate) zits back, and give them my:

Thinned/gone hair

Degenerative Disc Disease

Social Anxiety

Constant feeling of totally being exhausted

Foggy head

depression

constant stomach/bowel issues

Hi Nitemare, I had 2 unsuccessful courses of Accutane myself. I have a link in my signature of what finally cleared me up. It focuses on natural and internal cleansing of the body, but it's not anything you have seen before.

Best of luck,

Matthew

Hey nitemare im a 40yr old male & like yourself i've tryed everything to rid my acne & yes even Dan's regaman.I can get clear i just cant stay clear.

At 40 i had a nuff. Acne has control my life & took its tole on my family .Im a different person when im broke out.

So i went to see a new derm & told him how's nothing is working & how i've tryed so many different things only to be let down & spent another $100 on something that dident work.

Mind you my acne isent that bad i never tought i would be on accutane but its the best thing i ever did.Been on it now just past two months.

What you dont here about "tane" is how many people its cleared & how greatfull they are for taking the drug.

What ever you do Best of luck to you

onelittleone , interesting comment. Nice to see someone around my age with same issues. Hmm. Did you have cystic Acne or regular acne? When you say not bad, about how many pimples? Right now I have about 2 tiny ones (white heads already) that are barely noticeable. Rest is clear. This being back on regime for only 2 weeks. I bet if I went to derm today they would laugh at me asking about tane.

I really dont think your derm would laugh it doesent hurt to ask & tell him nothing else is working for you & your thinking about accutane

As far as my ance i would at the most 4 to 5 pimples at a time & i dident start getting cyst till a few years ago.

At being 40 & having acne even though it wasent that bad i just coulent take it anymore

You just have to ask yourself is this something i want to do

The fact that you were still itchy and red and dry after 7 years on the regimen is kind of weird in itself. After my first 5 months on the regimen, my itching, dryness, and redness went away completely. I'm currently dealing with dryer skin than I'm used to because the house I'm living in has shit loads of chlorine in the water; which dries out not only your hair but your skin. But once my chlorine-filtering showerhead gets here, I shouldn't have anymore problems.

Have you tried jojoba oil and/or AHA? If you're currently using jojoba oil, try using it as a mask/scrub (this is where I learned how to do it) and this helps with dryness really well. Water quality might also be a factor for you. If you have been living in a house with chlorine in the water and/or hard water you may have problems. Skin on the regimen is very delicate and even the smallest things will either dry our skin out or break us out.

If you live in an apartment and/or always have you probably have both hard water and chlorine; as it's a health department guideline for all businesses to install a water chlorinator to keep water clean; IE: the business/apartment complex adds tons of bleach into the water that's coming out of your taps.

Where I'm living right now, we own a business from our home and we had to install a water chlorinator and that's why my skin's been so friggen dry lately hahaha. If you think the water could possibly be the culprit, they do sell chlorine filtering shower heads to use. I actually just bought mine today from Bed, Bath and Beyond (the one I bought).

Hope this helped :)

Just wondering if you or anyone else finds that doing the jojoba scrub/mask makes your face more irritated/dry for a bit afterwards? I tried this the other day and I got a lot of dead skin etc. off, but now my face seems to be tight like rubbing it made it even more dry?

Just got back from the 2nd Derm. This time the derm said I have Rosacea (the first derm did not say this rather I suffer from dandruff!). Anyways, the 2nd derm took an entire 3 minutes to talk to me and give me samples of Arosacea cream and starter pills to use. I informed her I use BP and AHA+ and acne.org (appears she never heard of this site?!?!?). Anyways, she said I will have to continue using BP FOREVER and this Rosacea cream on top of it.

Anyways, Im not using this rosacea stuff as I dont think I suffer from rosacea. So, two derm visits within months and two different prognosis. Im done with derms and just using Dan's regime.