Notifications
Clear all

Tattoo after Accutane...please read

MemberMember
(@boston-girl)

Posted : 08/04/2010 12:12 pm

Hey everyone. I just finished Accutane 1 month ago. My skin is pretty much back to normal I'd say (I can tell because my lips aren't in dire need of Aquaphor anymore!). Scabs from pimples are healing fine without scarring.

I just called my derm to ask when I can safely be tattooed/pierced, and she said to definitely wait one month (which I have already done), plus perhaps a couple more weeks if I'm still a little dry to get tattooed. I actually got two cartilage piercings 4 days after I started my Accutane course (on 40 mg at the time, and stupid me didn't realize that I'm not supposed to get pierced during Accutane treatment) and I took them out after a couple months cause they didn't heal right/still hurt. This is why I'm hesitant on whether or not to get the tattoo now.

I'm just wondering what you all think...is it too soon to get a tattoo? If it helps, I am not photosensitive (in fact I indoor tanned for a month on Accutane...bad me once again but it was for prom).

MemberMember
(@coke234)

Posted : 08/04/2010 1:28 pm

I thought you were supposed to wait 6 months post accutane for stuff like this.....?

I could be wrong but I know I've been told to wait 6 months for treatment on scars and stuff post accutane. I don't see why this would be any different.

MemberMember
(@boston-girl)

Posted : 08/04/2010 2:24 pm

I thought you were supposed to wait 6 months post accutane for stuff like this.....?

I could be wrong but I know I've been told to wait 6 months for treatment on scars and stuff post accutane. I don't see why this would be any different.

I know, that's what I've seen most frequently too--to wait 6 months. But I want to do it already! And the doc didn't say no...I'm so confused.

MemberMember
(@rockets)

Posted : 08/05/2010 8:43 pm

I would highly consider waiting for 6 months. One month seems to early. I remember my skin was so delicate during accutane and I would scar easily.

MemberMember
(@boston-girl)

Posted : 08/06/2010 12:21 am

I would highly consider waiting for 6 months. One month seems to early. I remember my skin was so delicate during accutane and I would scar easily.

See the thing is I didn't scar on Accutane--and I'm a chronic pimple popper. I'm thinking about just getting my tragus pierced soon, and if that doesn't heal well, then it's a definite no to the tattoo for 6 months!

MemberMember
(@rockets)

Posted : 08/06/2010 7:24 pm

See the thing is I didn't scar on Accutane--and I'm a chronic pimple popper. I'm thinking about just getting my tragus pierced soon, and if that doesn't heal well, then it's a definite no to the tattoo for 6 months!

you can try that and see how it goes.

MemberMember
(@siava)

Posted : 08/06/2010 9:33 pm

Oh man, tattoos are permanent! It's not something you can remove because it didn't heal/still hurt. 5 more months is really worth the wait vs. the potential hassle of having a screwed up piece of permanent ink in your skin due to impatience.

Along the same vein, I had a scalp cyst removed last year. One of the questions the surgeon asked me was if I had been on Accutane within the last 6 months. If I had been, he would not perform the extraction because even though the skin might not be dry, it still had the slow wound healing property. Just something to think about since tattoos = trauma to the skin = wound healing.

MemberMember
(@onelittleone)

Posted : 08/06/2010 9:41 pm

Wow....wait 6 months . My derm told me no tattoos for at least a year

MemberMember
(@boston-girl)

Posted : 08/06/2010 10:34 pm

Oh man, tattoos are permanent! It's not something you can remove because it didn't heal/still hurt. 5 more months is really worth the wait vs. the potential hassle of having a screwed up piece of permanent ink in your skin due to impatience.

Along the same vein, I had a scalp cyst removed last year. One of the questions the surgeon asked me was if I had been on Accutane within the last 6 months. If I had been, he would not perform the extraction because even though the skin might not be dry, it still had the slow wound healing property. Just something to think about since tattoos = trauma to the skin = wound healing.

I agree with you, I don't want to have a permanent tattoo that looks like shit because I was impatient. I'm probably gonna end up getting pierced before the 6 months...probably even before the end of this month. I can just take that out if it doesn't heal right...I had to do that before when I first started Accutane.

MemberMember
(@vicki-vicki)

Posted : 08/02/2021 12:58 am

On 8/7/2010 at 1:34 PM, Boston Girl said:

I agree with you, I don't want to have a permanent tattoo that looks like shit because I was impatient. I'm probably gonna end up getting pierced before the 6 months...probably even before the end of this month. I can just take that out if it doesn't heal right...I had to do that before when I first started Accutane.

Hey...can u update about your experience please, because its been 6 months since i stopped accutane and my doctor said u can get a tattoo now...But i am reading online that we hve to wait for 12 months atleast...please comment