Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Also, I was reading through the reviews of the Paula's Choice BHA and some said that the formula changed and caused breakouts; anyone have any experience with Paula's Choice BHA?

Umm. I freaking love it.

Neutrogena Acne Stress Control, 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment is also recommended by her, and I can vouch for it (though initially I thought it was causing irritation). It's just not well stocked for some reason :( I found it at Walmart, but neither Target or Walgreens seems to carry it.

You could also try Dermarest Psoriasis Medicated Skin Treatment, available at most drugstores. It is effective, and has lots of other great ingredients... but its not not nearly as strong as the other two when it comes to salicylic acid's effects.

The Berts Bees BHA product is ineffectively formulated.

The Neutrogena and Sea Breeze astringents with salicylic acid have questionable pH issues, not to mention irritating alcohol.

Salicylic acid itself is a ridiculously cheap substance... it's so weird how hard it is to find a good leave on product with it that's formulated correctly.

I use Dermalogica Clean start - Bed time for Breakouts. It has 2% Salicylic acid and is in a gel form. It cost me $22 for a 4 oz tube. This may seems expensive but compared to other SA treatments where you only get .5oz for $8-$10 its really not too bad.

This has been working very well for my type of acne. I had non-inflamed acne (severe blackheads) All over my nose, chin, cheeks, and forehead. Since using this every night my skin has been looking much better.

The consistency is nice too. Once it dries I can't even tell I have it on.

Hope that helps!

I've been using Paulas Choice 2% bha liquid for almost 2 years now.. The formulation has not changed. There are actually 2 different bha liquids on her site. She added a new one in the past few months. The old one (the one I order) is this one. HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommended!

Edited by smartie

Whoops,

I think I'm going to order that one ^^ but a couple questions for anyone who uses it..

What's the difference between the liquid, lotion, and gel?

And if you have any non-inflamed acne, is this more of a preventive treatment or does it work on say, active blackheads as well?

Also would this BHA be okay to use in addition to Dan's AHA... like using BHA in the morning and AHA at night?

Thanks!!! :clap::clap:

Edited by GoingStrong

hmm. bump. i need some recommendations too. :)

i prefer a lotion form. maybe a liquid form.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/help-skin-care-products.aspx#aha That helps a bit; read further down the FAQ to see a description of the lotion/liquid/gel. From what I remember, but can't find the link: liquid is for less sensitive skin, gel for average skin, lotion for more sensitive skin. I think! :P

Bump...I too am confused about when to use BHA and AHA. I know salicylic acid is a BHA but it's not part of the regimen. My main problem is clogged pores, not so much inflamed acne (as of yet *knock on wood). I know BP kills bacteria, but don't you need BHA to get into the pores? Can you alternate BHA and AHA?

I've been using Effaclar K from La Roche Posay for a long time. I dont find it irritating and its a watery creamy texture so its easy to apply. Only problem is that it's mad expensive in the US (it was cheaper when i was in germany). it's 1.5% SA btw (all the american products seem to be either 1 or 2%). there's also effaclar duo, which is similar, but it has other stuff besides SA (and presumably lower SA concentration).

im also on the lookout for a new BHA product to switch to (i only have one left that i bought in germany). i was also thinking of trying paula's bha product, except im still confused about which one is good; she says similar stuff about the gel and liquid (its for oily skin and blablabla).....

that dermalogica that the person above suggested seems nice, but their website doesnt have that one anymore (in fact the whole line in which that product is part of); it must be an old product or something...its much more expensive than paula's but cheaper than what im using now.... (i found reviews on makeupalley)

oh and to the question of using aha and bha together....the guy that replied above, greentiger uses paula's bha and dan's aha in his regimen....so i guess it can be done unless your skin is too sensitive for both