Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Right now my skin is really oily but I currently have no acne. If acne is largely caused by oil, then what isn't present or what isn't happening in order that I don't have acne? Is it that I don't have many p. acnes on my skin or something? A couple of years ago I was oily AND had bad acne but now I just have the oil, what may have changed (could be with age I suppose cos I'm 19 and a half now) for my acne to subside even though i am oily? I can't quite figure it out. Do p. acnes subside with age or something meaning no (or at least less) inflamed spots even if you have oily skin?

YOur skin could be exfoliating efficiently now, which wouldn't clog the pores. ALso the oil creates a natural acid barrier that doesn't allow the bacteria to multiply easily.

It doesn't speed up or anything it just sheds the proper way. YOur skin is supposed to shed evenly and either falls off your face(hence dust) or it falls into the pores and is dissolved in the sebum. When you get acne, the skin holds together so you have some live skin attaching to some dead skin and the dead skin stays there and blocks the sebum in the pores. Then the cascading effect of bacteria multiplying and your body sending out an inflammatory response.

If any one of these problems is fixed you would have no acne(either no bacteria surviving, proper exfoliation, proper sebum control, or the inflammation response).

I'm no expert on this but this is what I gathered from various journals on how it's formed.

Jonesy,

That's what I suspected, that you weren't using much soap or cleanser on your face. It's my belief that if you wash the oil out of your pores then you will have problems but if you just rinse the oil off the surface then it doesn't matter how much oil you have, it won't hurt you.

But I wasn't expecting you to say this was your same routine when you had problems. Beats the hell out of me.

I'm curious...do you not even have clogged pores or blacheads? my skin is somewhat oily but I dont get pimples either however i do at times get clogged pores. I think it's just that your hormones have settled down and your skin is shedding bettter not trapping the oil, etc..acne is mutifactored