Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Happy_Again

It Works!

:lol:

I am 31 and have suffered with acne since I was 11 years old. Throughout school it was just annoying, but by college my red acne scars were visible in photographs. When I was 30 suddenly my acne got over 100 times worse. Most of my adult acne was cystic - which of course causes scarring. I was breaking out all over my cheeks and jaw line.

I have a lot of scarring, but it is mild. I don't have deep ice-pick scars but my cheeks are covered with shallow indentations from the acne. The recent jaw-line acne has given me scars there as well.

I got to the point where I just could not even look at myself in the mirror. I would run away from camera's because my red acne scars would show up in the pictures. I decided to get help from a plastic surgeon.

I checked a bunch out and made an appointment with one that was well recognized in my town. I wanted to talk to him about laser resurfacing. Too my surprise he said NO! He said the proceedure rarely works the way we would hope it to and since I was still breaking out that was not an option. He sent me over to his aesthetician for a consultation so that we could get my break-outs under control.

Well, turns out him saying no was the best thing that could have happened to me. I started getting something called a micropeel plus by biomedic. From what I have seen only licensed aesthetician's in plastic surgeon's offices offer this treatment, but you may find differently.

At my first treatment the aesthetician gave me some lectures about skin care. I told her what I was using on my face (all acne related products). As part of the micropeel process you have to apply moisturizer and use a gentle cleaner prior to and after the treatment. My skin did not improve much with the first treatment, but I continued to use the cleaner and the moisturizer. After 6 weeks I got another peel and this one really worked. I peeled so much I was really embarassed.

Well lets fast forward here. I have now had three micropeel plus treatments. I am using the St. Ives Apricot Scrub in the evenings to exfoliate. In the morning I wash my face with Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleaner and then apply Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer. I NO LONGER USE ACNE MEDICATION!

I still do have a few breakouts, but I would say 85% of the cystic acne is gone (that Apricot Scrub works best on that I think). I no longer see nothing but scars when I look in the mirror. The red scarring is almost completely gone (one really tough cookie just won't go away) and the deeper "crater" scarring on my cheeks has improved considerably.

You know we fall into a trap. We are told not to use certain things on our faces and we think that moisturizer will make you break out (it always made me break out). But start with at least 2 micropeel plus treatments, go onto the healthy use of products I mentioned, and I guarantee you will see some type of improvement. My skin glows and is really soft now.

Soon I will go for my 4th micropeel treatment. For me they are $80 each so not cheep - but if you have red scarring or shallower scarring (not ice-picks) this is a much cheeper alternative to plastic surgery.

And, I can get my picture taken again!

Good luck. :mrgreen:

A micropeel is also known as a power peel or lunchtime peel because it has no downtime. I was using the Biomedic treatments at one time and have had a few micropeels done, but my experience does not lead me to believe that it can really help with anything except the very slightest of scarring.

My technician first washed my face. Then she shaved it to take off the excess hair.....they call this something else, but basically it is still shaving.

Then she applied the acid to my face and left it on for about 1-2 min. During this time you will feel a burning sensation that is helped slightly by having a fan blow over your skin.

After this a neutralizer is applied and then dry ice is swiped over your face to "burn" off the dead skin that the peel generated.

A high SPF sunscreen is applied and you are sent off into the world.......you can apply makeup after the procedure if it is a very light makeup.

It feels good, but once again, I'm not sure it can help with anything other than the most minor scarring.

Official description:

What is the MicroPeel®?

The MicroPeel® is a three-step process that removes a micro-thin top layer of skin. The top layer is a significant obstruction to having better skin because it is pore-clogged. The procedure is safe, effective and is accomplished in 15-20 minutes.

Step One

The first step is a five minute, physical or enzymatic exfoliation of the skin. This frees the skin of dead cellular layers and protein. And by reducing the top layer of the skin, it also lessens the appearance of fine lines and brown spots. A change in skin texture can be felt right away by brushing your hand across you cheek.

Step Two (Optional)

In the second step, a 15-30 percent Alpha Hydroxy Acid solution is applied. It will stay on the skin for at least 15 seconds, but no more than 2 minutes. A slight stinging sensation may be felt, but it is only momentary and quite normal. This part of the MicroPeel® helps to reduce acne-related conditions by freeing impacted debris from the pores. This step is not recommended for sensitive skin.

Step Three

The third and final step of the MicroPeel® is a skin freezing process called Cryogenic Therapy. Carbon dioxide is applied to the face in light, circular motions. Immediately the coolness causes an anti-flammatory response. Pores look smaller. Sun damaged cells are cast off. Oil and blackheads are unblocked. The surface of the skin becomes smoother.

A few thoughts. Cleanse / Exfoliate / Mosturize .... it's that basic. A few times

you guys give me the shakes when I read how aggressive you are --- and TO

YOUR OWN SKIN. It's YOUR skin so be careful. So, the Neutragena products

are A+. You can't go wrong with that name so pick a liquid cleanser + the

mositurizer from Neutragena. Now how to Exfoliate? Lasers will NOT work

on most acne scars. We've all read the hype but after seeing ~4 of THE NAME

NY derms (even Dr Laser herself, Melanie Grossman) the fact is that lasers do

great things for many skin conditions but NOT acne scars. Yeah a laser blast can

make your skin LOOK much better but NOT remove the acne scars. I had 6 scars

all on my left cheek & all kinda in a Circle like they came from a cookie cutter.

I went to Dr Marsha Gordon in nyc and this was her plan: Use a good gentle

daily cleanser & a mositurizer & a Very Good Sunscreen (SuperCityBlock by

Clinque 25SPF). That process covered the Cleanse-Protect-Mositurize parts.

Now, for the Exfoliate part she prescribed AVAGE cream at bed time. It made me

shed like a snake's skin & guess what .... my 6 scars got so so so better I can

just barely see 2 of them. I guess the Exfoliate part is the tough one but just

play it safe .... deal with any active acne then treat your skin GENTLY. Hope

this helps even a bit.

Avage cream is the same as Tazorac cream. I reccommend that drug, too, though I apply it in the gel vehicle.

hey derek,

is it tough to get an appt. with marsha gordon, i heard she's a top NYC doc who prefers coservative treatments like peels versus lasers...my doc karyn grossman is good but she also wors in california and it's a bitch to get an appt (she'a slo on the laser bandwagon and seems to averse to doing pees for some reason)....My scars sound similar to yours, i had IPL (non ablative light) done and that helps...I think super aggressive stuff just doesn't work my derm suggested ablative at first but i said no and she was surprised herslf how the milder treatment actually helped me.

The avage...is that vitamin a? Also what does Dr. gordon think of skin peels like TCA?...I feel that if I could just get a really good peel going many of my scars would practically disappear 9i had two tiny scars that have pretty much disappaered after my skin flaked and peled a lot after accutane so i know this may help)/ After using a mild 6% TCA peel at home i noticed a very subtle diff...

THANX!!!!

A few thoughts.  Cleanse / Exfoliate / Mosturize .... it's that basic.  A few times

you guys give me the shakes when I read how aggressive you are --- and TO

YOUR OWN SKIN.  It's YOUR skin so be careful.  So, the Neutragena products

are A+.  You can't go wrong with that name so pick a liquid cleanser + the

mositurizer from Neutragena.  Now how to Exfoliate?  Lasers will NOT work

on most acne scars.  We've all read the hype but after seeing ~4 of THE NAME

NY derms (even Dr Laser herself, Melanie Grossman) the fact is that lasers do

great things for many skin conditions but NOT acne scars.  Yeah a laser blast can

make your skin LOOK much better but NOT remove the acne scars.  I had 6 scars

all on my left cheek & all kinda in a Circle like they came from a cookie cutter.

I went to Dr Marsha Gordon in nyc and this was her plan:  Use a good gentle

daily cleanser & a mositurizer & a Very Good Sunscreen (SuperCityBlock by

Clinque 25SPF).  That process covered the Cleanse-Protect-Mositurize parts.

Now, for the Exfoliate part she prescribed AVAGE cream at bed time.  It made me

shed like a snake's skin & guess what .... my 6 scars got so so so better I can

just barely see 2 of them.  I guess the Exfoliate part is the tough one but just

play it safe .... deal with any active acne then treat your skin GENTLY.  Hope

this helps even a bit.