Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why, do we as a people find acne so wrong? Society has marked it as unattractive? Not necessarily, in all honesty. We as the human race, whether you think so or not, deems health as attractive, whether you like it or not, humans are attracted to health, and when I say attractive I mean good-looking, I'm not taking personality into this at all. This is just my opinion.

I have a thread that is more in-depth on this that goes off on why we have acne, it would be helpful to yourselves if you checked that out, but after editing I can see that there are intelligent individuals that posted here, so they probably know this already, but if you want to check it out it is named 'WHY we have acne' thanks.

Lifes NOT fair :(

Edited by Lifes NOT fair :(

I don’t think its all society. Because even though I’ve had ups and downs with my skin, girls I find does not matters not to me. I honestly can be attracted to a girl who has bad skin because I’m attracted to that person because of how they are (ok, and I’m a sucker for a stunning figure). 2 of my gf's in the past have had recovering acne (both on acutain) and at both times my skin was flawless. My current gf's has pretty much all gone, but this time last year it was considered as quite bad. But regardless, she looks perfect to me anyway.

For me on the other hand, it makes all the difference, if it’s on me. I can say a girl is beautiful all day long even if she thinks her skin is bad. But the other way around, I know I am hideous. No one in society thinks my skin is as bad and awful as I do myself. It changes my personality in a negative way and I’m not myself when my skin is bad.

So maybe it’s not society it’s just you. Because I know that most of the time, it’s just me (even though at times my skin is absolutely repulsive)

Why, do we as a people find acne so wrong? Society has marked it as unattractive? Not necessarily, in all honesty. We as the human race, whether you think so or not, deems health as attractive, whether you like it or not, humans are attracted to health, and when I say attractive I mean good-looking, I'm not taking personality into this at all. This is just my opinion.

Why do you think acne sucks?

Lifes NOT fair :(

Indeed you are right. We live in a world that demands perfection.

I say never be perfect. If we were all perfect it would be a boring world. I'd much rather evolove then focuss on something that just aint important.

See now I think people as a 'society' or what we like to call the collective face of society (no pun intended) allow a certain level of imperfection. As a matter of fact I feel they prefer a level of imperfection. Certain distinguishing features to set people apart, which evolve to ever changing images of what we consider attractive.

Imperfections outside of a person's control are more easily spun to be unique and possibly even preferred. A big nose, height, balding etc etc...all deemed imperfections out of a persons control and generally accepted. Some people have even managed to turn them into sort of iconic features. Michael J. Fox I remember reading is like 5'4", obviously out of his control but he made it a positive.

Acne and weight, it seems are characteristics within someone's control. Want to lose weight?, eat right and excersize. It's about motivation not genetics. Want to have nice skin? wash your face, take care of yourself, live clean (or at least that's the perception). This is why, I believe, acne is such a hated imperfection. Those who have NOT struggled with at least moderate/ persistent acne don't know how out of a person's control it really is.

Acne and weight, it seems are characteristics within someone's control. Want to lose weight?, eat right and excersize. It's about motivation not genetics. Want to have nice skin? wash your face, take care of yourself, live clean (or at least that's the perception). This is why, I believe, acne is such a hated imperfection. Those who have NOT struggled with at least moderate/ persistent acne don't know how out of a person's control it really is.

I'm sure that everybody on this forum has dealt with somebody laughing at their acne, and they were probably depressed about it, maybe even to the point of crying, over the way other people see us, personally, I could give a flying fuck less about somebody if they don't like me for being unattractive, even though under all the acne I must say that I look good. I have never dealt with weight, but I feel bad for the people that have bad metabolism, I have a lot of friends that are overweight but still make fun of themselves and can still laugh, it's a shame that people with acne are treated even worse, because it is out of our control almost completely when it's genetics, as I said above I have new thread going off on that, but I have pretty much explained it in this comment.