Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IsaacAlencar

My Accutane (Oratane) awaited log

Hello everyone.

I'm finally starting to take Oratane again. I did it back when I was 13-14 y.o. and it helped a lot, but I got acne again (not as bad as I used to have) so my dermatologist told me to take the pills normally; 1 pill a day for a month. Then, one pill every day for 10 days each following month.

I'm looking forward to be normal again. Also, I NEED to look good before November. Someone special is going to visit me :wub:

Anyways. I'm gonna write about my diet, the side effects and everything that can be useful to anyone :)

DAY #1

August 02, 2010

First day. I just took the pill. I have around 20 zits, redness and some blackheads (there's one in my cheek since a month ago :S and I can't get rid of it). I'm putting all my faith into this and I know I'll be fine.

Thank you (:

DAY #2

I don't think this has anything to do with the pills, but my acne got worse. I'm breaking out so badly again :(

Yesterday, I forgot to mention that I'm also using Tazarotene and Benzoyl peroxide... which I think could damage my skin. But I'm not sure, so tomorrow I'll call my dermatologist.

Bro! Glad to hear you finally got it! Best of Luck to you!

I think it's prolly best to not use Tazarotene and BP while on it, your skin is going to be sensitive enough as is.

Edited by craigeroo

Good luck on your course! Hope all goes relatively smoothly for you. There's lots of info in people's logs that have started within the last 2 months. Check us out for any info you may be looking for. Best wishes!

Thanks (:

DAY #6

My lips are dry, but my face is -generally- better. Tazarotene doesn't really makes me feel anything, but the BP makes my skin itch. All the monster zits from day 2 are mostly gone, and I think it's because of the pills. I'm not getting side effects (except for the dry lips). The first time I was on Accutane, my hair started to grow thiner, I got depressed, I was easily bothered by light, etc. I hope that doesn't happen this time :D

DAY #11

My acne is like it was before. I was clean from day 6 to day 9. Now, I'm just like I was before I started taking the pills.

PLEASE, anyone tell me if this is normal! :cry:

Also, my skin isn't as dry as it was before. I'm using moisturizer... could that be the problem? Should I just let my face dry?

DAY #12

Nothing new about my face... maybe that I see some little improvement.

BUT I really wanted to write this down; it made my day (and it's not that I'm happy, but I feel kinda relieved).

I mentioned that someone I love is going to visit me in November. Anyways, we've never met face to face before (just seen pictures) and today, he randomly said to me "I'm sick of acne on my face" "My face is red" and all I could feel was... happiness. Because now I know he understands what I'm going through and he won't mind if I have some little scars (I'M NOT GONNA HAVE ACNE BY NOVEMBER! I DON'T CARE IF I HAVE TO KILL). We've never talked about this before because I was too shy/ashamed to mention it, but... I can't explain how I'm feeling now; I feel so relieved. ahsgdhjsgdasdhgasadjhfsdgadhjgdgfdahgadsfdafds. :)

But still, I want to (and I will) have my normal face again! ;)

Good luck on your course! I'm a little over a month in, and I'm still getting acne, so don't worry! We're going through the same thing. My derm told me that the first two months you may continue to break out, but the spots should heal faster. She told me not to worry until month three if you're not clearing up!

And I would really recommend moisturizing! Dry skin will lead to cracked skin, which takes forever to heal while on Accutane. I personally use Cetaphil, which is a little heavy, but others have recommended CeraVe.

Also, love your icon. Spirited Away is one of my favorites [:

Good luck on your course! I'm a little over a month in, and I'm still getting acne, so don't worry! We're going through the same thing. My derm told me that the first two months you may continue to break out, but the spots should heal faster. She told me not to worry until month three if you're not clearing up!

And I would really recommend moisturizing! Dry skin will lead to cracked skin, which takes forever to heal while on Accutane. I personally use Cetaphil, which is a little heavy, but others have recommended CeraVe.

Also, love your icon. Spirited Away is one of my favorites [:

Thank you for the recommendations. I will look that up ;D

And thanks for the info also. I was freaking out because my derm doesn't answer phone calls haha.

Yes, the spots heal faster, but I thought I was getting too many...

Anyways, Spiritted Away rocks. Loved it since I was a little kid haha. :wub:

DAY #21

My lips are more dry than ever :ninja:

I'm starting to peel again (mostly in the mornings) and I'm getting some zits, but they go away in 1-2 days; except for the ones in my forehead; and it was clean when I started .__.

I'm trying my best to avoid stress and depression :D (nobody replied to my post about accutane and depression, so I had to figure out by myself that I just need to relax, laugh and I won't need pills for that).

After this month, I'll get IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) for the scars. Never tried that before and I'm looking forward to it, heard it was good.

skin treatments while on accutane is something you should not do. you are advised to wait a MINIMUM of 6 months after your course. lasers, peels, needling, etc can cause possibly cause more scarring.

skin treatments while on accutane is something you should not do. you are advised to wait a MINIMUM of 6 months after your course. lasers, peels, needling, etc can cause possibly cause more scarring.

My dermatologist told me to :wacko:

I'm gonna tell her about this, even though I feel it is helping.

DAY #22

I'm so uncomfortable with my skin; I can't laugh properly (which is so annoying for me); it feels like plastic, but I'm almost clear.

Edited by Toni Lavigne

DAY #27

I'm almost clean! I just have this little zit on my cheek.

My skin stills feel uncomfortable, but it's okay. My lips are still dry also.

The blackheads on my nose are gone :surprised:

And my skin is still peeling.

Next Friday, I'll get my IPL for the scars. I'm really excited. I think this is going to be my last goodbye to acne :dance:

DAY #30

I finished my 1st month. Yesterday, I got 3 zits, but they are not so big, and they are not as big and horrible as the ones I used to have.

Starting tomorrow I'll start taking a lower dose per month; 10 mg a day, the first 10 days of each month.

And this Friday (hopefully) I'll get IPL.

:D

I'd like to share some pictures soon, but I'm shy haha.

MONTH 2, DAY #10

So, today I finished my 10 pills for this month and also got my IPL treatment -I had no time before-.

My skin looks horrible! No acne -except for this little zit on my cheek-, but a lot of redness!

The pulsated light hurts .___. it wasn't a comfortable experience at all.

Anyways, my derm said that I'll be back to normal in 3 days. I won't use BP or anything for 3 days, and I won't need more IPL; I need pixel laser or something like that, but that'll be in December, when I'm finished with the pills.

Now, I'll have to wait until next month to take oratane again. And I have to use sunblock!!! That's very important.

MONTH 3, DAY 3/10

I've been using sunblock, and my skin looks (and feels) so much better now. I'm clean :D but the scars are still there... oh, but they don't look as bad as they used to; I look very normal now, and something really strange for me is that I always used to look around and feel bad because everyone else seemed to have a perfect skin, but now, I look at some guys and I think "THANK YOU GOD, I don't look like that anymore" but I don't feel like I'm a better person than them or anything; I wish them the best, because I know how it feels.

When this is over, I will never talk about acne again :D

...but I'll try to help others.

Edited by Toni Lavigne

MONTH 4, DAY 1

I haven't been on this site so much (since my last post here). Well, I can say I'm looking a lot better. I just have the scars now and my skin is dry as f__k, but that's okay (:

I've been eating normally again and I even ate a lot of crap some days ago, but I just got a little zit in my chest haha. I drink LOTS of water everyday (2 lts.) and I can't wait to see mt derm again, this time to get the laser treatment for the scars.

I want to share some pictures of the after and the before, but I'm way too lazy to do it now.

hi all

i am on accutane for past a month or so...well i don't know how should i put it but my skin has cleared the acne to good extents(not completely) but excessive dryness of cheeks have appeared.they remain red and at times irritate me.i have only 20mg per day dose for now but this redness which even fluctuates is trobling me.i m thinking of dropping accutane..is it safe...my doc says we should reduce instead of stopping .i m worried how long does it take after the couse gets over to get rid of the dry skin..and is there any thing i can go for to avoid the idea of stopping the course.

thnx

Hi, Toni,

Depending on what "crap" you ate, it could have actually helped the Accutane work BETTER, so don't feel too bad; Accutane itself is fat soluable, so eating it with something fatty helps your body absorb it, and personally I find that I experience less side effects when I eat it with something totally unhealthy. Kind of a double edged sword with this drug- you're supposed to try and keep your cholesterol in check, yet it works and goes down better when you eat it with something bad for you :think:

I'm on my 6th month and just started experiencing what I think is the "initial breakout", so hang in there! As soon as my derm upped my dose from 30 mg/day to 60 mg/day my skin went from clear and glowing, to reminding me of how it was when I started.

I'm also dealing heavily with the depression aspect of this drug. I mean- with your face practically falling off, it's hard to stay positive. However I just try to stay as busy as possible so there's less time to focus on any negative thoughts. Plus, the happiness of FINALLY having clear skin is something I think will be worth the trials and tribulations that come along with taking Accutane.

Hang in there and best of luck to you!

-Amber

Thank you guys :)

I'm doing better now. I took my last pill 6 days ago, and I'm fine :D

I've been eating healthier stuff and less crap hahah. I still have the scars, but they are a little bit less visible.

I'm just worried about one thing now: my neck is red, dry and it itches SO DAMN MUCH. It could be some kind of allergic reaction to... I don't know. But I don't think it was caused by the pills.

Anyways, I just got something for that and, at least, it is not that red anymore :D (and I'm no longer scratching my neck until it hurts).

Best of wishes to everyone :)

So today I FINALLY went through that laser treatment. My skin is so red and it feels hot/cold I don't know how to describe it; for a moment it feels really hot, and then it feels so cold, it's so weird. It kinda hurts.

I'm not supposed to wash my face, shower :shifty: or anything at all until tomorrow.

The weird thing about this is that the laser got me 2 little zits out; my skin was clean since some weeks ago.

I'm so excited, because this should help to make my scars (and the redness) less visible. So, anyone, if you have done the same, how did it go? :)

Peace.

After 5 days (counting today) of being red, dry, etc... today, most of my skin peeled off, and I still look a little bit red, but... my heart started to beat really fast and I almost started to cry, my skin looks so much better, not porcelain-skin, but it looks amazing and I can't believe that after 5-6 years of suffering, lack of self-esteem and confidence, people looking at me, and many other things, I finally start to look like I used to, after 5-6 years! I'm not very religious, but I thanked God, and my dermatologist, the woman from the clinic, and of course, my mom.

I'm thinking that I might go through the laser treatment some time again, but maybe I won't need to. This is almost magical; if you are thinking of laser, stop thinking about it, do it. I strongly recommend it. If you are afraid of Accutane, don't be, take a chance. None of these is comfortable or pleasing, but trust me, it will make you feel like a new person, in a new skin.

I'm hoping to never hear about Accutane again, or acne *knocks on wood*, but I would love to share pictures with you guys, so as soon as all the redness is gone (and my skin stops peelong), I will upload some pictures. Maybe not a lot of people will read this, but thank you for all the advice, thank you for the website, it really helped me because I didn't really talked about this with anyone and all the advice encouraged me to try, and keep trying, and never stop believing.

MY BEST WISHES TO ALL OF YOU :D:D:D

AND HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND AN AMAZING NEW YEAR.