Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alyssaiop

Beginning Spiro, 23 year old female, How long does the Initial Breakout last?

I have also just begun to take Spiro. I am 23 years old and have been having mild acne with many pustules. I began to break out around 19 years of age and have tried many different regimines. AHA's, BHA's, detox, excercise, chemical peels, light moisturizers, acupuncture...etc. I did gymnastics for 7 years as a young girl and sometimes would skip my cycle for 7 months at a time. My period has never been regular and still is not. I have the typical t-zone inflammation and have just begun to have the upper jawline acne.

I finally went to a gynecologist last week on Wednesday. I am very organic and hesitant to take any meds. I caved from the stress and scarring of the acne and finally began to take spiro. She has me taking 50 mg. twice a day and birth control beginning next month. So far, I have been having pustules around my entire tzone area and they are painful.

Has anyone else taken Spiro and how long does it take for the acne subside?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Just curious- why are you waiting to start the BCP's? With both spiro and bcps, your hormones will be out of whack for a good 3-6 months. Only some people report an intiial breakout with Spiro (I didn't experience one), but most report IB when starting a new bcp. I would DEFINITELY recommend asking for an antibiotic to get you through the initial breakout period. I had really good luck with Minocycline. I would take it for the first few months at least. Spiro tends to take 3-6 months to work. And anytime you start/stop a bcp, it usually takes 3-4 months for your hormones to normalize. Hang in there!