Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jokerj

zinc oxide and salicylic acid powder

so, i've been looking into gold bond medicated powder for sweat-induced folliculitis on my stomach, but i worry that the menthol and other irritants in the product will only make it worse

does anyone know of a powder containing these two ingredients but no irritants or comedogenic ingredients?

i thought about buying the powder form of each and mixing, but i'm worried i don't know enough to mix the right amounts

any help is greatly appreciated

thanks guys

I agree that the formulation is bizarre.. it contains so many irritants its hard to understand how it works at all. Have you tried it yet? Many of the irritants are also strong antibacterials/antifungals. The talc is what bothered me the most, though there's not convincing research that it's dangerous.

Gold Bond is pleasantly cheap, so I'd say try it before you go trying to mix it yourself. That said, both zinc oxide powder and salicylic acid are very cheap when bought in bulk. My educated guess is that salicylic acid is included as an anti-inflammatory, and doesn't have much exfoliating power in powder form (the pH is off and it can't penetrate the skin without being dissolved). You could use crushed, uncoated aspirin for a similar effect.

Gluck!

I agree that the formulation is bizarre.. it contains so many irritants its hard to understand how it works at all. Have you tried it yet? Many of the irritants are also strong antibacterials/antifungals. The talc is what bothered me the most, though there's not convincing research that it's dangerous.

Gold Bond is pleasantly cheap, so I'd say try it before you go trying to mix it yourself. That said, both zinc oxide powder and salicylic acid are very cheap when bought in bulk. My educated guess is that salicylic acid is included as an anti-inflammatory, and doesn't have much exfoliating power in powder form (the pH is off and it can't penetrate the skin without being dissolved). You could use crushed, uncoated aspirin for a similar effect.

Gluck!

thanks! the aspirin comment makes a lot of sense, and i didn't know it wasn't exfoliating in powder form!

i think i'm going to buy the zinc oxide powder from essential depot, if anyone has any experience with either zinc oxide powder in general or essential depot products at all

it seems very high grade and pretty cheap, though it apparently does contain some minute quantities of lead, which scares me

i bought the gold bond for my back a while ago, used it in conjunction with a modified version of the regimen briefly, but saw no real results in that amount of time

I'm confused.. why are you going to make the investment in zinc oxide and salicylic acid powder if you didn't get any results with gold bond?

Why not try an effective salicylic acid or AHA product?

There are also many formulations of zinc oxide sold as skin protectants and irritation reducers, if you want to go that route.

If you have true folliculitis, with a bacterial or fungal infection (rather than just ingrown hairs), I'd highly suggest tea tree oil or another penetrative antibacterial/antifungal.

Gluck!

Edited by greentiger87

I'm confused.. why are you going to make the investment in zinc oxide and salicylic acid powder if you didn't get any results with gold bond?

Why not try an effective salicylic acid or AHA product?

There are also many formulations of zinc oxide sold as skin protectants and irritation reducers, if you want to go that route.

If you have true folliculitis, with a bacterial or fungal infection (rather than just ingrown hairs), I'd highly suggest tea tree oil or another penetrative antibacterial/antifungal.

Gluck!

i'm sorry, let me clarify

i used the gold bond for a bacne treatment with little success

i'm currently looking for something to help a sweat-induced folliculitis, possibly a miliaria, which means i need something non-irritating that will help keep me dry and help me heal

zinc oxide is usually non-irritating and helps with healing, and powder helps to keep one dry, as opposed to cream, lotion, ointment, etc.

i use a tea tree oil mixture to help treat exisitng lesions, this is more of a preventative

I think your best bet is to buy kaolin or bentonite powder. It's sold in a million forms, I believe Aztec Healing Clay is a popular brand. The other alternative to talc-based powders are plant starches, but these can promote fungal growth when wet (though zinc oxide might preclude that). Then mix in the zinc oxide or calamine powder yourself if you want.

These look like good bets as well: http://www.electroherbalism.com/Products/ZincOxidePowder.htm

http://www.barnswallowbotanicals.com/produ...ing-body-powder

I think your best bet is to buy kaolin or bentonite powder. It's sold in a million forms, I believe Aztec Healing Clay is a popular brand. The other alternative to talc-based powders are plant starches, but these can promote fungal growth when wet (though zinc oxide might preclude that). Then mix in the zinc oxide or calamine powder yourself if you want.

These look like good bets as well: http://www.electroherbalism.com/Products/ZincOxidePowder.htm

http://www.barnswallowbotanicals.com/produ...ing-body-powder

thank you so much for all your help!

why don't you think i should just go straight for the zinc oxide powder plain?

also, those two products have arrowroot, a starch, which, like you said, can promote growth, so i try to stay away

Yeah, I noticed the arrowroot as well, but was thinking the zinc oxide would retard fungal growth anyway.

Zinc oxide is insoluble in water, so my thought process was that it probably wouldn't be able to absorb sweat well (but thats just an educated guess). It's only used as a "deodorant," but not an "antiperspirant", because it reacts with and eliminates H2S. Kaolin, bentonite, and starches can all absorb sweat - which is part of the problem right?

Again all educated guesses. I've never worked with zinc oxide powder, though it seems like versatile stuff. I might get some for myself :)

ha we could try it together!

yes, something more absorbent might be nice

i think i might try the zinc oxide powder and then, if it really isn't doing the job, i'll get the bentonite and add a bit in-- i'm liking what i'm reading about it

i also hope zinc oxide powder is not quite as noticeable on the skin as the gold bond was

i know it is very whitening, but at least i won't smell like a tube of toothpaste! (then again, that was nice sometimes..., especially post-workout)

Zinc oxide and salicylic acid make zinc salicylate, a mild FPS ingredient, thus rendering the combination the first two pretty much useless.

Edited by JCRG

The two are commonly used together in dermatological preparations. Only extreme conditions would cause the reaction you're talking about to occur at a reasonable speed - for all practical purposes, they do not react at room temperature in a dry, neutral environment.

Even if they did react, zinc salicylate would still retain the anti-irritant properties of zinc and anti-inflammatory properties of salicylates.

The two are commonly used together in dermatological preparations. Only extreme conditions would cause the reaction you're talking about to occur at a reasonable speed - for all practical purposes, they do not react at room temperature in a dry, neutral environment.

Even if they did react, zinc salicylate would still retain the anti-irritant properties of zinc and anti-inflammatory properties of salicylates.

greentiger, how do you know all this sh*t?!