Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, I am writing this thread as I am in need of help.

I live in the UK and I have previously suffered with acne over the last couple of years however since finding a natural/holistic doctor that determined what was causing my acne my skin improved. Over the last year I have improved my diet considerably and do not break out on a major scale at all. :):dance:

Although I still had several red marks on both cheeks that do not seem to disappear. I understand this process can take time.

I recently visited Turkey on holiday and my skin improve no end. :)

The whole idea of this thread is for us to try and list the factors that could have contributed this change/improvement.

Below I have listed a couple of factors that I have thought of, but I am sure that you can think of many more. Any help would be appreciated as it may help me to understand how I can continue this improvement in the UK.

Factors -

- Turkey has a predominantly warm and sunny climate, especially during summer months. Therefore exposure to sun could lead to tanning. Although I did not tan a lot on my face, I believe is seem to have a more even tone/complexion.

- During the holiday I applied factor 30 to arms/legs etc however I only used factor 25 on my nose and ears. I did not apply any sun cream to the rest of my face as even though the sun cream I use is for sensitivity skin and supposedly non comedogenic.

- Sun exposure (and I was getting a lot, 6-8 hours a day) leads to a increase in Vitamin D levels. As this holiday helped my acne, and the UK doesn't receive mass amount of sun could I be/have been Vitamin D deficient?

- I avoided Chlorine in pools as much as possible although I did submerge once/twice. Also I avoided sea salt as much as possible and again submerged once or twice. Could these have anything to do with it?

- Lastly I assume that when a go on holiday, I am more relaxed and less stressful as I am not thinking about school work/etc. As stress reduces acne improves? Anything to do with the adrenal glands? I take a adrenal support supplement so could prove that I get to stressed and need to relax more?

Long post I know, however I do want to understand this more.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx

So are you saying that as my tan fades, red marks will return?

Any other factors that you think I have missed?

What do you think about the factors I have listed?

Thankx

My previous holiday also a lot of inprovement, my factors were (some may be bad of course):

-France instead of netherlands. Souther warmer climate.

-More sun exposiure, factor 30-20 , and after sun during night.

-only 8hours of sleep , from 3AM

-at least 8 units of alcohol a day , sometimes beer sometimes high sugar drinks

-Instead of brown bread, white bread (back when i ate that stuff :P), diet less healthy , but less snacks.

-More activity

-Whril pool and pool water.

Seems pretty bad to me xD

Edited by joris

joris, You experience suggests the sun helped your skin and this benefit outweighed all the other negative factors that would normally make acne so bad.

-Lack of sleep

-Chlorine (Sodium Chloride = Pore blocking?)

-Less healthy diet

I do not understand this. :/

Jono

Thanks for the response AV :) I currently try to get out in the bright light everyday, although would you be so kind to explain why this is necessary?

Also I try to keep a constant sleep pattern of around 9 hours every night. Is this enough or should I attempt to increase this?

Lastly, what other factors that I didn't mention, do you know of? This would help considerably.

Thanks

And ultaviolet kill bacteria, but it is only a temporal relief. Perhaps your skin react in some way to more humid places so when you are in warm weather let your face to heal. Who knows!

Thanks for the response AV :) I currently try to get out in the bright light everyday, although would you be so kind to explain why this is necessary?

Also I try to keep a constant sleep pattern of around 9 hours every night. Is this enough or should I attempt to increase this?

Lastly, what other factors that I didn't mention, do you know of? This would help considerably.

Thanks

The cycle of bright light and darkness exposure is how your body times many of its functions including hormone production and release. All kinds of hormones.

Nine hours is enough sleep enough. People vary, but most people need somewhere between 7-9 hours.

More info: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...es-t230714.html

When I was in costa rica I didn't even use my topicals and I didn't break out once. When I dont at home i break out. I also drank a shitload. I drank like a billion pina coladas and margaritas and I still didn't break out. I also ate really unhealthy food. I didn't really understand because costa is really humid and I heard humidity causes acne. It could also be becuase I was always in either the pool or ocean.

I was in Greece and Turkey:)

In Greece, I arrived, my face was crazy. For the first week it was terrible, probably in part due to jet lag, but it was already breaking out like crazy before in the two weeks before I left. I started having diarrhea.

After two weeks, I was getting almost completely clear.

After less than three weeks, 100000% clear. It was as if I had never had acne. I have some pictures, and I can hardly believe how clear my face was.

Then I went to Turkey on the second half of my fourth week. A week later, after having no sleep for three nights my face started breaking out bad, and then another two days later it was horrible. I started having diarrhea, my face was all oily, etc. It continued to worsen, I came back home and it kept on being as bad for around two weeks.

Then it started to calm down and returned to the same state it was a few weeks before my vacation; the usual breakouts like I've had for 15 years.

One summer I wasn't working, in 2004, and my face cleared up in the same way.

In both cases I could eat whatever I wanted.

So the patterns I see are: getting a lot of sun, sweating, doing some form of exercise (in Greece I was walking up hills a lot, but not at all in Turkey), sleeping full nights (never slept as well as in Greece, while in Turkey I was getting woken up by the prayer call and I didn't sleep for three nights because of night-time bus rides), and limited masturbation (once a week or so, and never for a long period of time).

That is all I can notice really. Haven't been able to reproduce this scenario since I'm working. But I'm trying.

Sorry for the lack of details, it's late:)

EDIT: Also note that I didn't have products to wash my face during my vacation, and I didn't swim often. I didn't have a cloth to wash my face either, I only used my hands and water while in the shower.

Edited by Chocobot

im going on holiday in 1day , maybe ill post my clear pics afterwards :D

Edited by joris