Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Q_P

What changes can I make to my diet to improve my health and acne?

Howdy all! I think I posted a similar topic here several months ago, but I could use some fresh input!

I've had digestive issues (GERD and IBS-type-stuff) and acne for as long as I can remember, so I've focused my efforts on clearing my acne through fixing my digestion. My acne is moderate: I get large inflamed nodules and papules, along with blackheads, a lot of tiny whiteheads, and an occasional papule. Unfortunately, nothing seems to have helped, and I'm still breaking out regularly and my digestion sucks. Oh, and my skin doesn't heal so I'm left with pitted scars from every zit, my hair and eyelashes are falling out, and I'm incredibly anxious most of the time. :boohoo: Naturopath diagnosed me with borderline hypothroidism, but I think the supps she gave me to treat it may be flaring up my acne horribly right now.

Here's what I've tried that hasn't made a difference in my skin or health:

-Vitamin B, C, D, E

-Zinc (makes it WORSE), Selenium, Magnesium, Calcium, Chromium

-Borage oil (minor improvement), primrose oil (screwed up my hormones), fish oil (all types make me break out)

-DGL, L-Glutamine (may have made me break out), HCL, digestive enzymes, probiotics (Primal Defense ULTRA)

-topical benzoyl peroxide (helps a bit), Differin, Clindamycin, AHA, glycolic acid, liquid nitrogen, salicylic acid, Aczone, Retin-A (actually works a bit, thankfully), emu oil, coconut oil

and other things!

Diet-wise, I've done:

-hypoallergenic for 2 months (basically ate buckwheat, almonds, kale, spinach, zucchini, broccoli, turkey, lamb, olive oil, kiwi, blueberries and nothing else)

-low GI/GL, anti-inflammatory

I do notice when I eat a ton of junk my acne does get worse, but I still break out constantly when I eat a completely "clean" diet. Pretty sure dairy gives me cysts, and eggs and tomatoes may give me inflamed acne, as well, but it's really hard to tell.

Right now I eat:

Breakfast:

rolled oats with cinnamon, whole raw almonds and blueberries

Lunch:

canned green beans, canned beets, and salad greens with canned salmon or sardines, olive oil

Dinner:

turkey or chicken with kale or collard greens and zucchini and broccoli, olive oil

I snack on carrots with hummus (ingredients: chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice), occasional apples and blueberries or raspberries, prunes, eggs, or almonds.

Any suggestions on what I can change to help my skin and my gut? I'd appreciate any help you can offer, as I'm at my wit's end here and am considering hopping on the 'Tane train.

Edited by QuirkyPixy

natural antifungals/antibacterials seem to have produced good results for people on this board with both acne and digestive problems.

Don't eat foods that you can't digest like milk, wheat, soy etc unless your liver is very strong to eliminate those toxins. Eat foods that will cleanse and strengthen your liver and do the same for your blood. Natural sugar doesn't cause acne, but indigestable sugar will since its not meant to cope with the body and is a toxin.

Here's what you can do. This tonic makes me perspire whenever I drink it, but its sugary. If your good at math and reading nutrition labels then you can find out how much sugar is in this drink. Remember, this is natural sugar so its easy to digest. This recipe is cheap and barely cost anything. Buy a couple bottles of pomegranate blueberry acai and v8 Tropical Blend and mix those together to make a tonic energy detoxifier. When you do perspire, you'll feel it being runny at first which is normal. Its deep cleaning your colon and whatever other toxins are in you. Since you lose electrolites when you detox like this, drink lots of water and gatorade along with some potassium so those levels won't drop. There are fruit juices with lower sugar or sugar free. Just gotta find where to purchase them.

Diet-wise, I've done:

-hypoallergenic for 2 months (basically ate buckwheat, almonds, kale, spinach, zucchini, broccoli, turkey, lamb, olive oil, kiwi, blueberries and nothing else)

-low GI/GL, anti-inflammatory

I do notice when I eat a ton of junk my acne does get worse, but I still break out constantly when I eat a completely "clean" diet. Pretty sure dairy gives me cysts, and eggs and tomatoes may give me inflamed acne, as well, but it's really hard to tell.

Right now I eat:

Breakfast:

rolled oats with cinnamon, whole raw almonds and blueberries

Lunch:

canned green beans, canned beets, and salad greens with canned salmon or sardines, olive oil

Dinner:

turkey or chicken with kale or collard greens and zucchini and broccoli, olive oil

I snack on carrots with hummus (ingredients: chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice), occasional apples and blueberries or raspberries, prunes, eggs, or almonds.

Any suggestions on what I can change to help my skin and my gut? I'd appreciate any help you can offer, as I'm at my wit's end here and am considering hopping on the 'Tane train.

So, are you gluten-free? And if so, for how long?

How much hummus do you eat? Do you consume any other beans/legumes?

Foods and Substances that may Increase Gut Permeability:

Any food which increases intestinal permeability increases endotoxin (lipopolysachharide -- a constituent of gram negative bacterial cell walls) influx into circulation. We believe this is a key event in most if not all autoimmune diseases. Therefore, we recommend that people with autoimmune disease avoid the following, at least until symptoms subside:

1) Wheat -- the gliadin in wheat upregulates a gut protein called zonulin which adversely affects tight junctions, thereby increasing intestinal permeability.

2. Alcohol -- adversely affects tight junction characteristics

3. NSAIDS (aspirin, ibuprofen etc) reduce tight junction stability and increase intestinal permeability

4. Hot peppers, cayenne, paprika, green peppers etc -- contain both saponins and capsaicin which increase gut permeability

5. Soy beans (including soy products: tempeh, tofu, soy sauce, soy oil etc) lentils, peas, beans, peanuts and all legumes. Legumes are concentrated sources of saponins which degrade the intestinal lining by binding cholesterol in the bi-lipid layer of the epithelium and cause increased intestinal permeability. Additionally some legume saponins (soy in particular) maintain immunological adjuvant characteristics which up-regulate the immune response at the dendritic cell level in the gut and promote autoimmunity.

6. Potatoes -- are concentrated sources of two glycoalkyloids (alpha solanine and alpha chaconine) which also degrade the gut lining and increase leakage of LPS from gut into circulation.

7. Green and unripe tomatoes, cherry tomatoes contain the glycoalkyloid alpha tomatine which also increases gut permeability and acts as a potent immunological adjuvant .

8. Oats -- contains a saponin called avenacin which increases intestinal permeability. All cereal grains including oats and wheat contain lectins which adversely affect tight junction characteristics and, together with saponins, have an additive effect upon intestinal permeability.

10. Alfalfa sprouts contain some of the highest concentrations of saponins in any plant substance and dramatically alter intestinal physiology. In animal models consumption of these sprouts leads to a lupus like autoimmune disease; in a few human case studies these sprouts have also elicited lupus like symptoms.

11. Quinoa -- once again very high concentrations of saponins leading to a leaky gut -- also this particular saponin has shown to be an effective adjuvant in vaccines thereby leading to an enhance immune response -- not what you want in an IBS patient

12. Amaranth -- similar story to Quinoa except for the adjuvanticity

13. Quillaja -- a food additive made from the powdered bark of a S. American tree which is added to root beer and cream soda to make them foam. This is perhaps the most powerful saponin adjuvant yet identified and is routinely used as a vaccine adjuvant in animals to immunize them against almost any disease you can name. It also powerfully increases intestinal permeability.

14. All dairy -- in allergic people casein increases intestinal permeability & cow milk contains other hormones & substances which may increase gut permeability

I am telling you, eliminate all grains, legumes, and dairy first and foremost. Avoiding those three will do so much for you. It doesn't have to be a life-long thing necessarily either, but it can take your gut a LONGGG time to properly heal (i.e. 6 months - 1 year+)

I suspected tomatoes as a breakout food for me for the longest time too, as well as some other random things... eliminating gluten (particular wheat), dairy, and legumes has made all my other seemingly food intolerances literally disappear. There are really no fruits or vegetables that I have to fear breaking me out anymore. I think wheat especially puts your body in a sort of hyperallergenic "overdrive" mode, and creates all the odd obscure food sensitivities. This could also be the case if you are consuming and other foods that you have a true allergy to.

Here's what you can do. This tonic makes me perspire whenever I drink it, but its sugary. If your good at math and reading nutrition labels then you can find out how much sugar is in this drink. Remember, this is natural sugar so its easy to digest. This recipe is cheap and barely cost anything. Buy a couple bottles of pomegranate blueberry acai and v8 Tropical Blend and mix those together to make a tonic energy detoxifier. When you do perspire, you'll feel it being runny at first which is normal. Its deep cleaning your colon and whatever other toxins are in you. Since you lose electrolites when you detox like this, drink lots of water and gatorade along with some potassium so those levels won't drop. There are fruit juices with lower sugar or sugar free. Just gotta find where to purchase them.

DON'T LISTEN TO THIS GUY

V8 Splash Tropical:WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, RECONSTITUTED VEGETABLE JUICE (WATER AND CONCENTRATED JUICE OF CARROTS), RECONSTITUTED FRUIT JUICE (WATER AND CONCENTRATED JUICE OF APPLES, PINEAPPLES, KIWIS, LIMES), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF: MALIC ACID, NATURAL FLAVORING, VITAMIN C (ASCORBIC ACID), MANGO PUREE CONCENTRATE, VITAMIN E (ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE), BETA CAROTENE, SUCRALOSE.

That shit is pure garbage.

You don't have to force your body to detox, nor can you really even if you wanted. To think that it is efficacious to drink some stuff and your body responds by immediately "detoxing" itself it ridiculous. Your body; liver, kidneys, lungs, heart, spleen etc is constantly detoxing itself all day long. The best way to detox is to not interfere with your body's natural rhythm... get lots of exercise, eat ONLY real, unprocessed, nutrient dense foods - lots of brassicas, onions, garlic, anti-inflammatory spices and herbs. Get plenty of exercise and quality sleep.

And if you really want to allow your body to deal with the "toxins", don't eat for a while. I don't mean fasting for 40 days in the desert, just don't eat when you're not hungry, don't snack mindlessly- look up intermittent fasting. It up-regulates cellular autophagy and allows your body to rid itself of metabolic waste at the cellular level. Combine that with efficient elimination, perfect diet and plenty of rest, and you got yourself optimal health!!

Try drinking Green Tea (w/o sugar) in addition to avoiding your 'problem foods'.

I've heard it works wonders, so I've started this as well :)

I am thinking of trying tea. I don't know what kind of tea I should try.

I am looking at some tea on the internet that I may order it.

Here's the site : http://www.znaturalfoods.com/organic-tea-1...80251a6fb88dda1

Which would be the best?

Edited by EddieE

Don't eat foods that you can't digest like milk, wheat, soy etc unless your liver is very strong to eliminate those toxins. Eat foods that will cleanse and strengthen your liver and do the same for your blood. Natural sugar doesn't cause acne, but indigestable sugar will since its not meant to cope with the body and is a toxin.

Milk, wheat, soy = toxins? Nice.

Milk, wheat, soy = toxins? Nice.

I would have to agree. Humans drinking cow milk is abnormal, we are naturally lactose intolerant for a reason.

Wheat and milk have opioid peptides which are like opiates. Slow down our systems and digestion causing constipation and lethargy. They contain toxins.

Why would plants/grass have toxins you ask? Think about it, evolution favors fruits being edible.

Animals (including us) eat the fruit and crap out/spit out the seeds, hence new flowering plants.

Fruits do not contain natural toxins.

Vegetables/grasses (wheat) do not like to be eaten, they contain toxins.

Certain animals eat these things and feel sick, so they avoid that plant.

The plant evolves and the toxin becomes stronger.

Us humans evolved too, and we got these little thingamiggers called livers, which filter out the toxins and allow us to absorb the nutrients that these things contain. Calcium - oooh ahhhh

Doesn't mean they are inherently safe or meant for consumption.

I don't know crap about soy so i wont go there, but i'm sure the same things apply.

Why are some people so daft, that they can't understand why wheat/gluten, milk, and soy are some of the most common allergens.

Well fructose in fruit goes straight to the liver and is filtered out like a poison... so that's not really perfect either. It's hard to find the perfect food. I think eggs come pretty damn close.

DON'T LISTEN TO THIS GUY

V8 Splash Tropical:WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, RECONSTITUTED VEGETABLE JUICE (WATER AND CONCENTRATED JUICE OF CARROTS), RECONSTITUTED FRUIT JUICE (WATER AND CONCENTRATED JUICE OF APPLES, PINEAPPLES, KIWIS, LIMES), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF: MALIC ACID, NATURAL FLAVORING, VITAMIN C (ASCORBIC ACID), MANGO PUREE CONCENTRATE, VITAMIN E (ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE), BETA CAROTENE, SUCRALOSE.

That shit is pure garbage.

You don't have to force your body to detox, nor can you really even if you wanted. To think that it is efficacious to drink some stuff and your body responds by immediately "detoxing" itself it ridiculous. Your body; liver, kidneys, lungs, heart, spleen etc is constantly detoxing itself all day long. The best way to detox is to not interfere with your body's natural rhythm... get lots of exercise, eat ONLY real, unprocessed, nutrient dense foods - lots of brassicas, onions, garlic, anti-inflammatory spices and herbs. Get plenty of exercise and quality sleep.

And if you really want to allow your body to deal with the "toxins", don't eat for a while. I don't mean fasting for 40 days in the desert, just don't eat when you're not hungry, don't snack mindlessly- look up intermittent fasting. It up-regulates cellular autophagy and allows your body to rid itself of metabolic waste at the cellular level. Combine that with efficient elimination, perfect diet and plenty of rest, and you got yourself optimal health!!

I'll keep this in mind. I don't think HFCS is the bad here, the sugar is the main issue for me. Aren't there organic fruit juices like this on the market?

What happened after 2 months of the hypoallergenic diet? Any improvement in acne or digestion?

Have you had any improvement in digestion at all?

What about sleep, light exposure, stress and physical activity?

Wow! First-off, thank you everyone for your help; I really appreciate it! :) I think I'm going to take a combination of advice and implement it into paleo diet with occasional blueberries for my only fruit consumption. So right now I'm gonna eat turkey, chicken, canned salmon and sardines, mixed greens, kale, collards, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, onions, garlic, almonds, ghee, cultured organic pasture butter, and extra virgin olive oil.

@ Naturalis: Sometimes I get loose stools, but more often I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. :redface: Didn't you break out from too much protein too? All I supplement now is Vitamin C, B-Complex, and Magnesium, and I started taking them sometime after my gut started having a hissy fit, so I know they're not the cause in this case. Interesting about the Vitamin D, though! I know how you feel because my digestion was also better when I ate junk, haha.

@ Drizzler: Thank s for that comprehensive list! I'm trying to do the gluten-free thing again starting tomorrow. I tried it strictly for 7 weeks with no noticeable difference, though, and now my only gluten consumption is typically a beer or two on the weekends. I had no idea it could take the gut THAT long to heal from gluten damage! I eat maybe a couple of tbsp of hummus a day, not much at all, but I do eat green beans fairly often. I don't have any "true" allergies that I know of, if that means the type that cause breathing trouble and things like that. Do you eat butter or ghee at all?

@ alternativista: I had no noticeable improvement in my digestion or my skin on the diet, so I broke it and went to a derm. My naturopath said I must have still been eating something I had a sensitivity to, but I'm not sure that sensitivities are really the problem here. Sleep has been fine except for the past few days; I usually fall asleep around 11 and wake up around 7 or 8. I usually go for a 20-30 minute walk outside every day, but often spend the rest of the day on the computer job-hunting or reading inside. I walk everywhere I need to go, though. Stress has always been a problem, and it definitely flares up my acne; I'm working on controlling it, but I think my anxiety is a physiological and not a psychological problem.

DON'T LISTEN TO THIS GUYPPLES, PINEAPPLES, KIWIS, LIMES), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF: MALIC ACID, NATURAL FLAVO

V8 Splash Tropical:WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, RECONSTITUTED VEGETABLE JUICE (WATER AND CONCENTRATED JUICE OF CARROTS), RECONSTITUTED FRUIT JUICE (WATER AND CONCENTRATED JUICE OF ARING, VITAMIN C (ASCORBIC ACID), MANGO PUREE CONCENTRATE, VITAMIN E (ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE), BETA CAROTENE, SUCRALOSE.

Since his advice doesn't have anything to do with this person's diet, I doubt she is going to follow it.

@ alternativista: I had no noticeable improvement in my digestion or my skin on the diet, so I broke it and went to a derm. My naturopath said I must have still been eating something I had a sensitivity to, but I'm not sure that sensitivities are really the problem here. Sleep has been fine except for the past few days; I usually fall asleep around 11 and wake up around 7 or 8. I usually go for a 20-30 minute walk outside every day, but often spend the rest of the day on the computer job-hunting or reading inside. I walk everywhere I need to go, though. Stress has always been a problem, and it definitely flares up my acne; I'm working on controlling it, but I think my anxiety is a physiological and not a psychological problem.

Well, I'd agree that you need to focus on stress and digestion. Do you eat enough/often enough to keep blood sugar stable? Do you feel depressed or moody? Are you tired or energetic? Have you tried habits to stimulate digestion/acids such as chewing well, some acetic acid (vinegar) before meals, such as drinking diluted ACV or having a salad with oil and vinegar?

Is there anything in these lists you haven't tried?:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2574119

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2579438

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2679680

also, I believe that among some of the info I found on glyconutrients for the ZAG Enzyme thread, there were some that specifically heal the intestinal and/or stomach lining. I don't know if such info is stated in the thread, most likely you need to click on the links and go to the sources.

And maybe try to get outside frequently during the day, everyday. Before meals is good as it affects carb digestion. Also, stimulates seratonin production. We also tend to have a melatonin surge around 2-3 pm, so getting into the light prevents it, or you can go with it and take a siesta, then get back outside for a bit.

Edited by alternativista

I haven't read all the post since I am in a rush.

But good diet of veggies is good for acne. I think I saw a few post saying there are not?

Wheat, whole grain is good for you. It is full of fibre, helps the digestion. Not sure why people are saying it is bad?

I haven't read all the post since I am in a rush.

But good diet of veggies is good for acne. I think I saw a few post saying there are not?

Wheat, whole grain is good for you. It is full of fibre, helps the digestion. Not sure why people are saying it is bad?

Because wheat/gluten is one of the most common causes of allergy and food intolerance and the lectins specifically damage intestinal linings. There are plenty of far superior sources of fiber such as the veggies you mentioned. Not everyone needs to completely avoid wheat, but no one should fool themselves thinking they are eating a health food.