Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

you guys ever wonder how the people with the most consistent acne seem to be the most anal retentive people on the planet in terms of personality. and people who don't really care about how they look and the least stress in general seem to be the people with unblemished skin. I think most cases of acne are triggered by some dietary inconsistency temporary stress or medicine and then people spending their whole lives worrying about how their face or back looks really intensifies the problem.

It is a well known fact that stress can cause acne and then sebum to go haywire all over the body triggering inflammation and immune reactions. And then people freak out even more and become narcissistic and body dysmorphic so they go on all these high protein and fat loss or muscle gain diets which really craps on their skin so much more.

And the more they spend their lives on improving their bodies the worse everything gets. they start hallucinating and seeing things that aren't really there and magnifying every problem until they have psychotic nervous breakdowns. And they become so insecure that they are virtually paralyzed to do anything in life anymore. they become a walking shell of what used to be a functioning human being.

This past week I haven't closely looked at myself in any mirror and I feel like my whole life has changed. my confidence has increased like 200% and my stress decrease is almost unexplainable. I haven't really felt depressed or bad at all, which I cant even remember the last time it happened. I would get depressed and have to drink heavily at least once a week.

Even when I scratch my face or something the skin feels really smooth where it usually feels itchy and dry. I even did some things I havent done in a long time like tell a joke and ask some girls out which I couldnt do because of the hatred i would continuously inflict on myself every day. Every action or event I would have in life would be clouded by my crippling self-hatred.

i now almost feel as though mirrors are like a powerful drug addiction. parasites that destroy everything you have in life because everything you once cared about has been replaced with forever chasing that next fix. they cause your mind to inflict self-hatred on yourself continuously which is like the drug withdrawal that cripples you completely and makes you feel like you are going to die. and so your only choice is to return to that mirror for all time seeking that relief from the pain. and that stress is perpetuating your acne just like that next drug dose perpetuates the addiction.

I feel as though life is so ironic in that the more you crave something the more you will never have it. like people who always try to be the most intelligent and think they know everything are usually fools or people who try the hardest to be the most athletic never end up being great athletes. And people who just do what they are capable of but never focus on how great they are as much as others around them always end up being the best.

life is almost so beautiful in a way in that the more you loosen your grip on everything and let destiny guide you the more powerful you actually become and the more everything feels as though it is perfectly as it should be.

you guys ever wonder how the people with the most consistent acne seem to be the most anal retentive people on the planet in terms of personality. and people who don't really care about how they look and the least stress in general seem to be the people with unblemished skin.

that's absolutely nothing to wonder if you really think about it.

why would you constantly be looking in mirrors and be very worried about your skin if your skin doesn't have any problems, and you've just been clear for a very long time? people don't worry about something they don't have.

you're speaking more of an ends than you are a means. the means is the acne, the ends is the anal retentiveness.

however, everyone could try and stress a little less about their acne, that's always an important notion. when i was having trouble i always just tried to stay clear of mirrrors cuz its a nasty habit.

About 3 years ago, I had a job, money, friends I hung out with every single day, confidence, and a little acne. For awhile, my skin actually cleared up, in my opinion because I felt sooooo good about life.

Then, I stopped working, stopped hanging out with friends for a video game, spent all my money, and my face blew up.

This past year, I started meditating. I found my balance again and started to live and be healthy again. I felt great and once again, I went through periods where my face was clear or little acne.

Then.. something happened over spring break. I became depressed and my face progressed slowly to mild/moderate acne. I find the little voice inside my head is very self-defeating and causing a lot of unnecessary stress/despair. And it's just a vicious cycle of acne->stress->acne->stress...

In my opinion, the power of the mind is not emphasized as much as it should by mainstream education/media. If you read, try to find a book by Doc Childre and Howard Martin called the Heartmath Solution. It's very interesting in that it shows just how much of an impact stress/negative emotions has on your heart and your entire body physically. Honestly, I think most people can cure their acne with their mind simply by thinking and living positively. But the cycle of stress leading to acne to stress to more acne doesn't make it easy.

the means is the acne, the ends is the anal retentiveness.

no I meant personality in general

All I need/want in life is good skin, a good body, and money.

The irony rings prophetic

op dont be silly

its 90 percent genetics

Is anal retentiveness a genetic trait? Normally I would pity myself and others, but I feel like I cant even do that anymore as it would ruin my trip.

you can be a slave to your mirror for the best years of your life, then go cry in your closet for hours on end or something due to the emotional trauma you inflict on yourself, but there those here who have been down the road you are on and they know exactly where it leads. a dead end. and that's not where they want to be.

"Those who wish to take the world and control it

I see that they cannot succeed

The world is a sacred instrument

One cannot control it

The one who controls it will fail

The one who grasps it will lose"

I have noticed that not all people with acne are anally retentive people, that they often do care about how they look (and go to healthy lengths to achieve this), do not all have dietary inconsistency, are not overly narcissistic, or body dysmorphic leading to high protein, fat loss and muscle gain diets, and do not necessarily magnify every problem, and start hallucinating until they have a psychotic nervous breakdown.

Edited by annmarie

I agree that stress exaccerbates the problem, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it is the cause of most peoples acne. Although, it very well may be for me. I believe mine is a combination of hormones and stress. If I stress over one little spot, I seem to get more overnight. But this all coincides with my "special week" so this is really a chicken or egg problem for me. I just cant seem to break the cycle of stress and breakouts. Plus, my hormones certainly dont help. I also notice that crying (for me personally) makes my hormones out of whack and I get more acne. SO frustrating...

You boys who don't suffer from hormonal acne are lucky. Looks like I'll be dealing with this for the rest of my effing life! Or at least until menopause. a.k.a. 40+ more years...

I don't think I "gave" myself acne.

I think I got it due to my genes and I just made it worse.

I have a natural tendency to be nervous and jittery and anal retentive and perhaps more than a bit OCD.

When I was a kid, I chewed on my fingernails.

When I got acne, I picked that instead.

I became obsessed with it.

I wouldn't leave it alone.

I focused too much on the problem, thus making it worse.

I'm my own worst enemy.

I have noticed that not all people with acne

the most consistent acne

I think I got it due to my genes and I just made it worse.

genes express in response to environments

I'm my own worst enemy.

At least you accept a problem. that's the first step

the means is the acne, the ends is the anal retentiveness.

no I meant personality in general

i know exactly what you meant.

and i'm telling you that's not the case. people BECOME that way because of acne. most people don't start off anally retentive. some people it is in their genes, but that has no correlation with peoples acne. but plenty of people BECOME that way because of their acne.

as i said, the means is the acne. the ends is the anal retentiveness. do you honestly know a lot of people who were anal BEFORE acne? do you have some large list of these people? because most of the people that i knew that got acne were just regular people without all that, a lot of them pretty cool and easy going. i was pretty cool and easy going before i got acne, but when i got it, i got more and more worried about my skin.

there's just nothing to wonder here. if there's nothing wrong with your skin, you're not going to be very anal about it, unless you had a problem at once and you haven't gotten over it. if you've always been clear, or close to flawless, well duh, of course you aren't going to think about it like someone would with acne.

i feel like you're trying to make a case for nature vs. nurture, but in reality both of them are in effect for this sort of thing.

and i'm telling you that's not the case.
good thing we got that settled, hehe

people BECOME that way because of acne. most people don't start off anally retentive. some people it is in their genes, but that has no correlation with peoples acne. but plenty of people BECOME that way because of their acne.

Of course. for the retentiveness to kick in, a problem has to exist. cant sail a boat without water.

i was pretty cool and easy going before i got acne, but when i got it, i got more and more worried about my skin.

sure you had less problems, therefore less opportunity to manifest your tendency.

there's just nothing to wonder here. if there's nothing wrong with your skin, you're not going to be very anal about it, unless you had a problem at once and you haven't gotten over it. if you've always been clear, or close to flawless, well duh, of course you aren't going to think about it like someone would with acne.

Probably why you almost never see obese people with acne as well. their non-anal personality really shows through their appearance.

i feel like you're trying to make a case for nature vs. nurture, but in reality both of them are in effect for this sort of thing.
i am just offering you a different path outside of the dead end one that many here have already traveled on.

but you just thwarted your own case in what you just said, so now i'm confused as to the point of this thread haha

you now said "Of course. for the retentiveness to kick in, a problem has to exist. cant sail a boat without water."

well, if they weren't retentively anal before, but they started to be after acne, that doesn't mean it was a part of their personality that entire time, it means it BECAME a part of their personality. which goes against your entire point of saying "we gave ourselves acne."

i mean, you have a nice sentiment here, i am all for playing the mental game, and trying just as hard to beat your acne that way, i just don't really understand what you are trying to say.

i never had that "tendency" to do anything like that until acne. but now that i am clear, i no longer have that tendency. it's not something that resides in my DNA or in my personality traits or anything, it was caused by the acne. im not saying that is the same with every case, but id be willing to bet thats what it is with most people.

you guys ever wonder how the people with the most consistent acne seem to be the most anal retentive people on the planet in terms of personality. and people who don't really care about how they look and the least stress in general seem to be the people with unblemished skin. I think most cases of acne are triggered by some dietary inconsistency temporary stress or medicine and then people spending their whole lives worrying about how their face or back looks really intensifies the problem.

It is a well known fact that stress can cause acne and then sebum to go haywire all over the body triggering inflammation and immune reactions. And then people freak out even more and become narcissistic and body dysmorphic so they go on all these high protein and fat loss or muscle gain diets which really craps on their skin so much more.

And the more they spend their lives on improving their bodies the worse everything gets. they start hallucinating and seeing things that aren't really there and magnifying every problem until they have psychotic nervous breakdowns. And they become so insecure that they are virtually paralyzed to do anything in life anymore. they become a walking shell of what used to be a functioning human being.

This past week I haven't closely looked at myself in any mirror and I feel like my whole life has changed. my confidence has increased like 200% and my stress decrease is almost unexplainable. I haven't really felt depressed or bad at all, which I cant even remember the last time it happened. I would get depressed and have to drink heavily at least once a week.

Even when I scratch my face or something the skin feels really smooth where it usually feels itchy and dry. I even did some things I havent done in a long time like tell a joke and ask some girls out which I couldnt do because of the hatred i would continuously inflict on myself every day. Every action or event I would have in life would be clouded by my crippling self-hatred.

i now almost feel as though mirrors are like a powerful drug addiction. parasites that destroy everything you have in life because everything you once cared about has been replaced with forever chasing that next fix. they cause your mind to inflict self-hatred on yourself continuously which is like the drug withdrawal that cripples you completely and makes you feel like you are going to die. and so your only choice is to return to that mirror for all time seeking that relief from the pain. and that stress is perpetuating your acne just like that next drug dose perpetuates the addiction.

I feel as though life is so ironic in that the more you crave something the more you will never have it. like people who always try to be the most intelligent and think they know everything are usually fools or people who try the hardest to be the most athletic never end up being great athletes. And people who just do what they are capable of but never focus on how great they are as much as others around them always end up being the best.

life is almost so beautiful in a way in that the more you loosen your grip on everything and let destiny guide you the more powerful you actually become and the more everything feels as though it is perfectly as it should be.

Are you for real?

Acne is a genetic defect. Fact.

All acne sufferers have a gene that causes acne. It is either switched on or switched off.

I've had acne for 13 years and i'm laid back, easy going and a funny guy. So based on your logic i shouldnt have acne right?

Well i have news for you. I do have acne but because it is in my DNA like any other acne sufferer.

I do care about how i look. I make sure i'm clean, my hair is always shaved and presentable, my clothes are clean and ironed, my shoes polished. So because i take pride in my appearance i should have acne?

That is the most uneducatad argument i have ever heard on here and i have been on this site for 8 years. You just broke quite an impressive record there.

Maybe you gave yourself acne. I didn't. Has acne affected my self esteem? sure. Am i ruining my life over it? no. Both my parents had acne at my age - especially my dad. My brother is a slop who sits around watching TV and eating junk food all day and his skin must be at least 3-4x worse than mine. He's carefree, not into appearances, he doesn't do anything to try and treat his acne, and he's laidback. Why then does he have acne when your logic states that he should be clear? Most people I have met with acne are actually pretty nice. The angry and resentful people here on the emo board of this forum aren't really an accurate representation of the acne population.

Edited by Alex_09

well, if they weren't retentively anal before, but they started to be after acne, that doesn't mean it was a part of their personality that entire time

why? light cannot be discerned without darkness. everything cannot exist without nothing.

Are you for real?

u mad?

That is the most uneducatad argument i have ever heard on here and i have been on this site for 8 years. You just broke quite an impressive record there.

how mad?

All one really needs in life is to be healthy, health is desirable, you'll look good without acne all over your face, muscles and you're skinny, you'll probably get hired for jobs more often, women would go out with you, you will feel happy about yourself and you life will be perfect.

But guess what?

LIFES NOT FAIR

:cry:

well, if they weren't retentively anal before, but they started to be after acne, that doesn't mean it was a part of their personality that entire time

why? light cannot be discerned without darkness. everything cannot exist without nothing.

Are you for real?

u mad?

how mad?

You're not making any sense. You are making circular arguements based on uneducated reasoning.

All one really needs in life is to be healthy, health is desirable, you'll look good without acne all over your face, muscles and you're skinny, you'll probably get hired for jobs more often, women would go out with you, you will feel happy about yourself and you life will be perfect.

hopefully, just a little kid

You're not making any sense. You are making circular arguements based on uneducated reasoning.

see, being mad affects your judgement

Genetics is the main reason we have acne, I have a thread going off on that topic, so I won't go further in-depth onto why we have acne and all that.

wont read the whole thread before posting either apparently

Guest fugleee_dumbBUNNY

i didnt read the whole topic nor even the post completelly, but if i get right u are trying to say, ppl with shittiest attitude will more likely suffer more from acne or whatever than those easy going, poisitive ppl? basically good vs bad, good allways wins sort of?

if so i can tell u only this: at the very beginning of my life: childhood + early teens i had a personality of an angel (very srsly), i was kid who would never hurt anyone, wouldnt touch even a fly (well i still do that but..oh boy..), incredibly tolerant for such age towards like anybody, had thoughts of making earth better place, helping everyone, happy, really righteous, all goody goody etc etc and now when i have went through alot of shit, hell itself at times and ACNE fuckne and still am going through ive become a demon, monster, i think i could even kill if driven very mad -_- (not anyone though but certain ppl at certain times but yeah i think i could, i do get thaat angry) well yes a monster for you and yes i do have a terrible acne, but no i dont have it because im bad, im bad because of acne and all the shit. also i know ppl with worst personality, not a glimpse of acne, flawless skin, being pretty, wealthy, lucky, happy etc.

there is just no justice in this silly poor world, thats the case. :goaway:

You guys don't realise the difference between pimples and acne vulgaris, which is an actual disease and is what pretty much all of us here suffer from. Whether or not you have acne vulgaris is 100% genetics. You can't 'give' it to yourself. Nor can you catch it from others.

If you smothered have a litre of axle grease on your face and woke up with 20 cysts the next day, that doesn't mean you have acne vulgaris.

You are given acne (mostly by genetics).. then after that it's up to you what you do about it.

You can't give yourself acne unless you purposely take pills that over produces sebum and acne.

Or bathe in sebum daily.

I don't think anyone wants to have acne, but sometimes, it happens. It happens to a lot of people.

Once you've taken action about your acne, preventing it becomes a vital key.