Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
karam

is accutane actually LESS effective (as far as possible relapse) if you take more than 150 mg/kg or is it just not any more effective past 150 mg/kg?

is accutane actually LESS effective (as far as possible relapse) if you take more than 150 mg/kg or is it just not any more effective past 150 mg/kg?

I believe you mean 1.5 mg per kilogram. So if you weigh 70kg multiply that by 1.5 giving you a total of 105mg. I believe it'd be very effective if you took 1.5 mg per kg of it, I believe the max dose you can get of accutane is 2.0 mg per kg but I haven't ever heard of anyone on that high of a dose to treat acne no matter how severe.

The reason people don't go above 1.5mg/kg for dose really is because of the potential side-effects being magnified being on a higher dose like that. Low-dose accutane courses are generally known to work over a longer period of time, but also can have a higher potential to give a relapse later on after its finished. That 1.5mg per kg dose is basically like the threshold of where having too much risk for side-effects outweighs the benefits it can offer. Hence why most people elect to go with a smaller dose.

I would think accutane would be a lot more effective if you go past 1.5 mg / kg, definitely. You would most likely see much faster results, and have a very low likelihood of relapsing later on. But again, you need to weigh the potential risks to the rewards.

So to try my best to answer it, Accutane isn't any less effective if you go past 1.5 mg per kg, in fact its effect would only increase. (Not only on your skin, but also the side-effects). Accutane would never be "less effective" while being on a higher dose then it would be compared to a lower one. Again, you just need to find a balance of what is right for your individual weight. It's all about that threshold I talked about where the potential risks/side-effects start to outweigh the benefits.

no I'm talking about the cumulative dose which they say should be between 120 mg/kg - 150 mg/kg

and I was trying to find out what if someone does more than 150 mg/kg