Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jennyband

accutane dosage 20 mg for 16 weeks?

my doc prescribed me 10mg twice a day for 16 weeks?

and she said nothing about having blood work done.. or tests.. just to let her know how i'm going...

and i know its based on weight (i'm about 121 pounds) so i shouldn't have a huge dose. however i was under the impression that the dose is sometimes increased to improve effectiveness?

i could have it all wrong, its just the doc seemed too vague on the details and i def knew more about the side effects that she did. she had taken blood samples about a month ago so its not like she is irresponsible or anything and she is not a derm, although i have been seeing her for my skin for about four months. (i do however have an appointment with a good derm next wednesday so i know i can probably just ask her, duh :idea: ).

but i'm sure i've never seen a dose that low on anyones logs so i was just curious as to why mine was just BAM 16 weeks 20 mg a day (other than the weight).

any help would be great!

happy skin day :hifive:

ugh and i'm sorry i meant to post this in accutane POSTS not logs. my bad. Site Moderator please move :blush:

Edited by jennyband

Hi! that does seem low if Im honest but im not a doctor. How severe is your acne?

Im on a 4 month course of 40mg which can be extended if need be. I weigh around 1-105pounds.

Another woman on the boards is around 100pounds and is on 20mg a day for a possible 7 months.

As for the bloods, in America they are done each month. Here in the UK it is every 6 weeks. Not to have them done at all is not good. You must keep an eye on whats going on in your body, after 4 months, your liver could be damaged and you wouldnt know!

See the derm and express your concerns!

Hi! that does seem low if Im honest but im not a doctor. How severe is your acne?

Im on a 4 month course of 40mg which can be extended if need be. I weigh around 1-105pounds.

Another woman on the boards is around 100pounds and is on 20mg a day for a possible 7 months.

As for the bloods, in America they are done each month. Here in the UK it is every 6 weeks. Not to have them done at all is not good. You must keep an eye on whats going on in your body, after 4 months, your liver could be damaged and you wouldnt know!

See the derm and express your concerns!

thanks i will express all concerns thouroughly ;) ha my doctor thinks i'm looney and overly concerned and recommends me all the moisturier stuff she uses. LIKE THATS RELEVANT YOUR 50 YEARS OLD AND DO NOT HAVE ACNE.

:dry:

my acne is cystic, hormonal. i have what looks like rosacea around my mouth too. cysts hang out on my jawline and sometimes camps out on my cheeks. i get much worse closed comedonal acne and blackheads everywhere.. but the cysts i'll always have a couple just chillin waiting to cause grief. this all started recently too, only a couple of months ago, before that i never had big problems with my skin.

thanks for your input, i think its a very low dose 20mg.. but its okay at the start maybe it will reduce the side effects. :think:

but i'll def keep that appointment with the derm