Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lisa14

Anyone experience low sex drive because of depression

Anyways, long story short I experienced extreme depression from October until maybe April/May and I have been slowly coming out of it. You guessed it, it was because of the shocking sudden appearance of some icepick scars after using some products. My skin is so much better now and I feel alot better about myself.

Anyways, during those months, I was severelyyyy depressed because it was like such a shocking event to my body and mind. My hair fell out due to the shock(which did not help my self esteem and further fueled the depression) buts its coming back in THANK GOD.

But, I also have absolutely no interest in sex anymore. I'm a 22 yr old female who used to want it all day long. Although I am a virgin, I know my body and I just cant get turned on at all (lubricated) anymore. I used to be such a hopeless romantic and now I dont really get that warm, fuzzy feeling that I feel deep in my core when I read romance novels, see a couple in love, or watch my stupid love shows like General Hospital or the Bachelorette lol. I used to so look forward to marriage, and now I just cant...feel things the way I used to.

Please tell me this is because of the left-over side effects of the depression and I am not alone in this. Have others had this experience, and did it eventually come back? Its like I feel better, but my brain hasnt caught up yet or something...

Sorry for this being a little personal, but I just need to vent. Stupid acne and skin issues took away more things that I can ever imagine.

Ok, I guess that wasnt long story short lol..

are you on any medication? like anti depressants or tranquilizers still?

or are you on any diet pills (like prescription hunger suppressants)?

all of the above can cause that

But, I also have absolutely no interest in sex anymore. I'm a 22 yr old female who used to want it all day long. Although I am a virgin, I know my body and I just cant get turned on at all (lubricated) anymore. I used to be such a hopeless romantic and now I dont really get that warm, fuzzy feeling that I feel deep in my core when I read romance novels, see a couple in love, or watch my stupid love shows like General Hospital or the Bachelorette lol. I used to so look forward to marriage, and now I just cant...feel things the way I used to.

are you on any medication? like anti depressants or tranquilizers still?

or are you on any diet pills (like prescription hunger suppressants)?

all of the above can cause that

those sound like 2 seperate things? 1. sex drive and 2. romance type things. well, maybe they are for guys i dont know.

They are two different things, and I am experiencing both. I am not on any type of medication.

ah i see

usually a drop in libido can be caused by those meds, but not the other - but as you said, you're not on anything at all.

and you say you are not depressed anymore, but you are just missing these feelings?

don't dwell on having a low sex drive. depression can manifest itself into a low sex drive and it is absolutely not a bad thing. it's been 5 years since i've had sex and if i could turn back time I would have never. i see day after day people abusing sex and the feeling it gives for a short high and meaning of worth. wrong wrong just because you don't feel like it doesn't mean you should because everyone else does.

Hey, just saying you are not alone, my friends used to say 'I was on heat' lol.

But now I dont even bother, every time I look in the mirror I dont see myself anymore (not looking in a mirror for 2 1/2 years will do that including these hideous red scars, although fading.....scars on my right cheek are quite deep :( ).

I am hoping that my self confidence will turn around when I have my skin resurfacing procedure that I have been waiting for, for so long.

Fingers crossed. :)

Hey, just saying you are not alone, my friends used to say 'I was on heat' lol.

But now I dont even bother, every time I look in the mirror I dont see myself anymore (not looking in a mirror for 2 1/2 years will do that including these hideous red scars, although fading.....scars on my right cheek are quite deep :( ).

I am hoping that my self confidence will turn around when I have my skin resurfacing procedure that I have been waiting for, for so long.

Fingers crossed. :)

Hi there, thanks. Exactly, I do not recognize or feel like myself AT ALL. Its like an outer body experience. Not being able to feel any emotion like I used to, is the worst feeling in the world. This pain is the only thing that I can truly feel.

How sad is that?

Lisa14,

You have to try your best to just not over-think things. When you really analyze your depression over and over again (and constantly re-think its potential impacts on your present life) you are gradually putting yourself further into a hole that can be really tough to dig yourself out of; mentally that is.

What is important to you, and what you need to do is focus more on the positive things (the bright parts) in your life; and realize that you really have a lot to look forward to.

I know that we are all human and being able to leave behind and forget some of even our darkest days is definitely not easy. But there comes a time when you really need to start focusing on the lifetime ahead of you, and your life as it is right now; rather than the difficult things you've had to overcome.

I see this so often, but its almost like acne having a "placebo" type of effect on peoples minds; taking its tole on their attitude, etc. Even if they have drastically better skin.

You need to do your best to leave the past behind. I know you were pretty much devastated mentally during your depression, and its going to certainly take your mind + body some time to recover from that. Deep depression isn't easy on anyone, and never will be. It has its way of leaving footprints on your mind. Now you just have to do what you can by keeping your head held high so those footprints can be washed away :] Think of your mind more as Sand than Concrete in that regard ;) When a depressing thought process is imprinted into your mind, there comes a time when it will fade away, and you will ultimately recover; it will not be permanent. Just do your best to not over-think the matter, but rather, focus on current important things that you enjoy doing.. Before you know it, you will be back to getting a lot more involved in those steamy romance novels you speak of, and such. Haha :]

I also went through something similar as you are now.. I went on accutane for about 5 months to help deal with some mild but persistent acne I had prior. Through that time I felt like little to no sex drive ever (which was unlike me, hah); and it really was no fun at all. But months later I am just fine mentally (and from a sex-drive perspective), and my skin is looking great.

A little time and a little optimism can go a long way towards helping your "cause" :]]]]

Edited by Jxr

Lisa14,

You have to try your best to just not over-think things. When you really analyze your depression over and over again (and constantly re-think its potential impacts on your present life) you are gradually putting yourself further into a hole that can be really tough to dig yourself out of; mentally that is.

What is important to you, and what you need to do is focus more on the positive things (the bright parts) in your life; and realize that you really have a lot to look forward to.

I know that we are all human and being able to leave behind and forget some of even our darkest days is definitely not easy. But there comes a time when you really need to start focusing on the lifetime ahead of you, and your life as it is right now; rather than the difficult things you've had to overcome.

I see this so often, but its almost like acne having a "placebo" type of effect on peoples minds; taking its tole on their attitude, etc. Even if they have drastically better skin.

You need to do your best to leave the past behind. I know you were pretty much devastated mentally during your depression, and its going to certainly take your mind + body some time to recover from that. Deep depression isn't easy on anyone, and never will be. It has its way of leaving footprints on your mind. Now you just have to do what you can by keeping your head held high so those footprints can be washed away :] Think of your mind more as Sand than Concrete in that regard ;) When a depressing thought process is imprinted into your mind, there comes a time when it will fade away, and you will ultimately recover; it will not be permanent. Just do your best to not over-think the matter, but rather, focus on current important things that you enjoy doing.. Before you know it, you will be back to getting a lot more involved in those steamy romance novels you speak of, and such. Haha :]

I also went through something similar as you are now.. I went on accutane for about 5 months to help deal with some mild but persistent acne I had prior. Through that time I felt like little to no sex drive ever (which was unlike me, hah); and it really was no fun at all. But months later I am just fine mentally (and from a sex-drive perspective), and my skin is looking great.

A little time and a little optimism can go a long way towards helping your "cause" :]]]]

Hi there, thanks for this advice. I read it a while ago and REALLY took it heart. I try my best to push out every depressive thought. When I was depressed, I tried to push out every happy thought (weird) but I never felt good or attractive enough to allow myself to think happy thoughts. I guess I have to retrain my brain. Very hard. On the sex end of things, I still really havent recovered my drive and it worries me. I feel like if I ever get married and it never comes back, my husband will probably always cheat on me and I will probably let him.

Anyways, your post was very enlightening so thanks!

When I get a low sex drive, thats how I detect if I am depressed. I usually just battle it out, force myself to become normal again. Maybe its because I am a guy.

I'm a 22 yr old female who used to want it all day long. Although I am a virgin,

I think you meant your libido, not sex. If you were having sex with SOMEONE you probably wouldn't feel down.

Sex is more than just a race to the finish line with the right person, babe.:cool2:

Edited by Le Cols 20

when i read the thread title i thought this would be some girl talking about her sexscapades, surprised that you are a virgin. it is nice to see that not everyone treats sex like going to the bathroom. i am waiting for marriage but sometimes i wonder if its worth it.

I feel like if I ever get married and it never comes back, my husband will probably always cheat on me and I will probably let him.

I'm a 22 yr old female who used to want it all day long. Although I am a virgin,

I think you meant your libido, not sex. If you were having sex with SOMEONE you probably wouldn't feel down.

Sex is more than just a race to the finish line with the right person, babe.:cool2:

Sex is a race to the finish line, lol....good sex isnt!!!

when i read the thread title i thought this would be some girl talking about her sexscapades, surprised that you are a virgin. it is nice to see that not everyone treats sex like going to the bathroom. i am waiting for marriage but sometimes i wonder if its worth it.

I feel like if I ever get married and it never comes back, my husband will probably always cheat on me and I will probably let him.

you need to stop talking like this though.....seriously.

Yes, it just amazes me that people take sex so lightly..but thats a different subject. Yes, I DO have to stop talking like that. I dont know if my drive is coming back or not, but I am just going to believe it will IN TIME. I cant imagine it just being like this forever...to not feel anything down there is quite depressing.