Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JayQ

Bactrim prescribed again

Ok well i had an MRI done last week on my head just to make sure there were no tumors do to my feeilng of lightheaded ness and faintness. That way i would know it was just my thyroid still acting up.

WELL, my doc said my MRI results showed that i had sinusitis cyst that showed up and that could be contributing to some of my symptoms of light headedness and fatigue. So she said she would prescribe an antibiotic to take and a corticosteroid to take.

When i went to pick up my prescription down stairs, the corticosteroid is METHYLPREDNISOLONE and to my suprise and shock BACTRIM as the antibiotic. This was prescribed to me back in april for my acne but i was to scared to take it after hearing all the side effects of skin rashes, SJS, etc.

Now here i am again, and i got to take it twice a day for 10 days along with the steroid. What should i do????? I am so nervous/disappointed now, i cant believe its bactrim again, i still have the other damn botlle not even used. :/

The only fairly normal thing that could go wrong with Bactrim is if you're allergic. It's only 10 days. I'd just take it. A cyst in your sinuses sounds downright painful to me.

The only fairly normal thing that could go wrong with Bactrim is if you're allergic. It's only 10 days. I'd just take it. A cyst in your sinuses sounds downright painful to me.

That is the thing i never knew i had it because i don't feel any pain at all.

Just take it. Bactrim is excellent for sinus infections, even encapsulated ones.

That sinus issue could indeed be causing some of your other symptoms. The steroid won't harm you for short-term use, either. It'll help with the inflammation and will help reduce the pressure your sinuses are feeling, whether you know it or not. The lightheadedness and dizziness will get better.

Just monitor for side effects; they're RARE. As you're taking it for something other than acne, I have no problem with that. :P

Take ALL the med for as many days as prescribed.

Just take it. Bactrim is excellent for sinus infections, even encapsulated ones.

That sinus issue could indeed be causing some of your other symptoms. The steroid won't harm you for short-term use, either. It'll help with the inflammation and will help reduce the pressure your sinuses are feeling, whether you know it or not. The lightheadedness and dizziness will get better.

Just monitor for side effects; they're RARE. As you're taking it for something other than acne, I have no problem with that. :P

Thanks for the support everyone! Ya i just called my mom to ask if she knew of anyone in the family that had sulfer allergies and she said no not that she knew of so that helped put me at ease some.

Hopefully the cortisteroids will help too. Maybe i will knockout 2 birds with one stone on this one, get rid of the sinusitis cyst and rid of my acne with no side effects. Fingers crossed, will start them tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the support everyone! Ya i just called my mom to ask if she knew of anyone in the family that had sulfer allergies and she said no not that she knew of so that helped put me at ease some.

Hopefully the cortisteroids will help too. Maybe i will knockout 2 birds with one stone on this one, get rid of the sinusitis cyst and rid of my acne with no side effects. Fingers crossed, will start them tomorrow morning.

Well just popped my first bactrim about 45min ago along with the 2 steroid pills. I paced back n forth debating on taking it lol, fuk im ridculous lol. Experiencing a little anxiety not much but of course due to me thinking about it in which i am doing my best to keep my mind off it, i will be ok.

Those cortisteroid pills thou, left an awful bitter taste in the back of my throat when i took them. Was pretty gross. Anyway hopefully this will work itself out, i am just hoping that my acne will not come back worse once my 10days is over.

Well just popped my first bactrim about 45min ago along with the 2 steroid pills. I paced back n forth debating on taking it lol, fuk im ridculous lol. Experiencing a little anxiety not much but of course due to me thinking about it in which i am doing my best to keep my mind off it, i will be ok.

Those cortisteroid pills thou, left an awful bitter taste in the back of my throat when i took them. Was pretty gross. Anyway hopefully this will work itself out, i am just hoping that my acne will not come back worse once my 10days is over.

Oh man, those pills are nasty. I used to take them for asthma when I was younger. Since I didn't know how to swallow pills yet, they had my mom crush them up and mix them with frosting. So disgusting. The frosting didn't cover the taste at all.

Maybe that's why I don't like frosting to this day... :think:

Oh man, those pills are nasty. I used to take them for asthma when I was younger. Since I didn't know how to swallow pills yet, they had my mom crush them up and mix them with frosting. So disgusting. The frosting didn't cover the taste at all.

Maybe that's why I don't like frosting to this day... :think:

Well so far so good, no side effects. Face is staying clear too which is good, hopefully it will continue that way.

Dizziness any less? Will you have a follow-up MRI or will the doctor simply allow lack of symptoms to show lack of infection (this is done a lot, due to expense).

I'm glad you're not having any side effects; I didn't really expect any. :P

Dizziness any less? Will you have a follow-up MRI or will the doctor simply allow lack of symptoms to show lack of infection (this is done a lot, due to expense).

I'm glad you're not having any side effects; I didn't really expect any. :P

See this a tricky one with me because of my auto immune thyroid disease which can also cause those symptoms. So it is kinda hard to tell lol. Here lately i have not been dizzy but that does not mean i wont be another day ya know. So i will prolly have to ask for a follow up MRI to see if it went away or decreased.

I know Bactrim has a lot of side-effects that could be potentially dangerous, but I've never had any of them. Still, I don't think it's worth taking it long term, but ten days? That's nothing.

I know Bactrim has a lot of side-effects that could be potentially dangerous, but I've never had any of them. Still, I don't think it's worth taking it long term, but ten days? That's nothing.

How long did u take it for? At what dosage?

I know Wynne is going to bash me for this but i am debating after my 2X a day for this infection is finished whether or not to start taking my original dosage 1X for my acne that i never took. It was a 30 Day supply px to me in April. I am staying clear so far and it really helps ease my mind more when dealing with this crazy thyroid if i stay clear.

Well i think i may be suffering from hypoglecmia from taking the bactrim. The last 3or4 days i have been having periods of extreme weakness and shakiness in the morinings after arriving to work and sometimes later in the evening, but mainly in the mornings.

I have read that sulfa medications can cause this. I went to the doctor today to request a fasting blood draw tomorrow morning. They also signed me out a glucose test monitor and they showed me how to test me there at the office in which when i tested myself at the office there, my blood sugar was 65 below normal (hypo). At the time i was experiencing weakness and a bit of shakiness off and on.

So instead of taking the bactrim again tonight i think i am going to cut it down to once a day instead of twice a day and see if that helps my blood sugar readings too. Now i didnt hardly eat this morning but even when i do i will still get the symptoms later in the day. I am just guessing 2x is to much for me and hurting my blood sugar. Hopefully 1x will be ok and do the same job.

Edited by JayQ

Well i think i may be suffering from hypoglecmia from taking the bactrim. The last 3or4 days i have been having periods of extreme weakness and shakiness in the morinings after arriving to work and sometimes later in the evening, but mainly in the mornings.

I have read that sulfa medications can cause this. I went to the doctor today to request a fasting blood draw tomorrow morning. They also signed me out a glucose test monitor and they showed me how to test me there at the office in which when i tested myself at the office there, my blood sugar was 65 below normal (hypo). At the time i was experiencing weakness and a bit of shakiness off and on.

So instead of taking the bactrim again tonight i think i am going to cut it down to once a day instead of twice a day and see if that helps my blood sugar readings too. Now i didnt hardly eat this morning but even when i do i will still get the symptoms later in the day. I am just guessing 2x is to much for me and hurting my blood sugar. Hopefully 1x will be ok and do the same job.

Well i really hate this but i think i am going to have to stop Bactrim for a little while. I really do think it is causing me to go hypoglycemic. I was given a glucose test monitor yesterday to use and i used it yesterday afternoon shortly after taking my pill and my blood sugar was 65. Given that morning i only had 1 cereal bar so not much which could of def affected it.

So i ate a Chicken sandwich and fries around 1pm. I took the bactrim at 1130am. Got home at 5pm and took my reading and it was 90. At dinner at 9pm and then took another reading 2hrs later and it was 107. So i was good. Took my Bactrim pill @ 1130pm and got up feeling weak again at 7am. Took my reading this morning and it was low again at 68.

I hope you guys all followed that lol. It looks like it is just draining my blood sugar level as bad as i hate to stop the med because it is keeping me clear i really hope that it is the med at the same time and not another problem. I am not going to take one today and test tonight and tomorrow morning to see if there is any diff at all. It might take a couple of days though because i dont know how long Bactrim will stay in my system. :/

I guess this one of the times that makes you realize that acne is not bad compared to other symptoms like this.

Isn't this day 8 of 10? If you've only got 2 days left, wouldn't you just buckle down and complete the course? Don't get me wrong -- I don't mean to suggest that any side effects you may be experiencing aren't unpleasant, but surely they're preferrable to being infected with an antibiotic-resistant organism, no? Think of it this way -- whatever bug caused your cyst could now be immune to Bactrim, so you could potentially need treatment with a stronger antibiotic down the line. Who knows what side effects that med might have?

Lastly, I'm appealing to your philanthropic side when I mention that not completing a course of antibiotics can make the world less safe for the rest of us! :cry:

Don't worry about Bactrim!! I'd be more worried about the cortisoid she Rx'd you yep. Cortisoids might cause facial bloating and abdominal edema / visceral obesity.

You can have your liver enzymes (ALT, AST) checked as well as kidney markers (serum creatinine, eGFR and CrCl) afterwards, if you really are worried.

Then take Vitamin K (MK-4) and/or probiotics (i couldn't do this part, I have leaky gut), to replenish the gut flora.

Good luck sir :chuck:

Edited by rentstuff

Isn't this day 8 of 10? If you've only got 2 days left, wouldn't you just buckle down and complete the course? Don't get me wrong -- I don't mean to suggest that any side effects you may be experiencing aren't unpleasant, but surely they're preferrable to being infected with an antibiotic-resistant organism, no? Think of it this way -- whatever bug caused your cyst could now be immune to Bactrim, so you could potentially need treatment with a stronger antibiotic down the line. Who knows what side effects that med might have?

Lastly, I'm appealing to your philanthropic side when I mention that not completing a course of antibiotics can make the world less safe for the rest of us! :cry:

Ya i hear you thats why i hate to decide this. I already missed my dose for this afternoon and was just going to take it later this evening and finish it out on once a day. I am figuring that wouldnt make that much of a diff i dont think. sigh idk.

Edit: Well i guess i will just continue on with the Bactrim. Doc just called me and said that my blood reading this morining was 89. I tested 68 30 min prior. Kinda strange, he said maybe i didnt let the alcohol prep dry enough. Hell who knows anymore :wall:

Edited by JayQ