Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CleanClearUnderControl

Can You Help Me Rec Treatment?

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I've been really depressed over the depression on my cheeks from my acne scars for about 3 years. I've recently decided that I'm going to at least try and diminish the scars, but I have no idea where to start. It's been unbearably gross for me to look at my face, and my self esteem has taken a dive.

So I decided I need to start doing something. Problem is, I don't even know what I have! Or where to look for treatment.

Seeing as there are so many of you on this forum with success stories, I figured you guys might have an idea about what I should do to treat these depressions.

Here are pics:

post-134509-1280390062_thumb.jpg

post-134509-1280390199_thumb.jpg

Thank You All!

post-134509-1280390062_thumb.jpg

post-134509-1280390199_thumb.jpg

judging by your photos, i assume you're asian ( i am asian as well).

TCA cross will work well for your small pitted scarring and subcision for the larger ones. these treatments should be your best options, since you have ethnic skin.

good luck and hope my info helps!

Thanks so much Chee619.

I've just looked into it, and thankfully, they're both doable at a MD's office instead of by myself (which I believe would require extensive knowledge of the actual procedure...clearly I am not resourceful enough now).

Should I do them both at once, subsequently following each other, or months apart? Would you rec dermarolling?

hmm... in my opinion you should focus one treatment at a time. I think that will be easier for you and your doctor because you can plan out the right schedule for each treatments. i'd say ask your doctor about tca cross treatment first and see if you're able to get taht treatment first for your little pitted scarring (since most of your scars are fairly small). i am assuming that TCA cross will require multiple treatment for your scars.

afterwards, you can suggest subcision or dermarolling for yoru larger scars and see if he agrees to those 2 suggestions.

hmm... in my opinion you should focus one treatment at a time. I think that will be easier for you and your doctor because you can plan out the right schedule for each treatments. i'd say ask your doctor about tca cross treatment first and see if you're able to get taht treatment first for your little pitted scarring (since most of your scars are fairly small). i am assuming that TCA cross will require multiple treatment for your scars.

afterwards, you can suggest subcision or dermarolling for yoru larger scars and see if he agrees to those 2 suggestions.

Wonderful + extremely helpful advice! I really cannot thank you enough. Thank god there are Asians on this site with experience.

Maybe tca cross.

Im feeling a little jealous. You have great skin tone, texture and very few scarring.

I can't help but chuckle a little here. That's the first time anyone has ever complimented my skin tone, texture and scarring. You really are too kind.

My tone used to be really messed up. Religious sunscreen use later, and this is my result. I believe it; I've converted. Worship this baby.

I've been reading sites about how to minimize discoloration, and I found this site that was REALLY helpful: www(.)scform(.)com. Yes, it says it's for men, but in reality, anyone can use it, esp women. P.S. The How To Guides are a great resource.

The only thing is, this blog only touches on superficial scars; deeper scars requiring more extensive knowledge is virtually non-existent. Hence, why I've taken the step to register here. There are many great advisers on this site (yes, I am looking at you chee6119 =]).

A product that I also found helpful for acne flare ups (not scarring, but acne) is emc2 cream. It's a more potent version of benoxyl peroxide but with a bit of sulfur in it too? (The smell is pretty distinctive - definitely some sulfur in there).

On top of that, recently I'm doing a bit of a diet modification. You know how they say you are what you eat? According to various research, a great diet will help with decreasing toxins in your intestines that contributes to multiple skin flare ups. So far, I'm not seeing any additional acne...but it's still too early to confirm results. A product that will help with detox is Psyllium Husk Powder, a form of fiber (actually I got this advice from an Acne.org poster; he's pretty popular around here). It's cheap, a great appetite suppressor (surprising side effect? So if you wanna lose some weight =]), and helps you eliminate waste more efficiently. If you're interested, ask away.

I don't know the extent of your acne scars, but don't lose hope! We are all here as comrades, in a never ending battle against that ridiculous bacterium. There are tx available, we just need to be cautious about what to use and where to begin.

Edited by CleanClearUnderControl

It sounds like you got a good game plan!

Just out of curosity how long did you see improvements in skin tone from using sunblock religously? I wear sunblock everyday rain or shine for the last 5 years to try to improve my skin tone and havent had any luck yet.

It sounds like you got a good game plan!

Just out of curosity how long did you see improvements in skin tone from using sunblock religously? I wear sunblock everyday rain or shine for the last 5 years to try to improve my skin tone and havent had any luck yet.

I started seeing results within 2-3 months. Mm...and I generally avoid the sun like a plague. But again, I've only started doing this within the last 2-3 months.

Maybe it's the sunscreen you're using that's not suitable for you? I've been using Paula's Choice spf 15 UVA/UVB protection along with Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer Liquid sunblock spf 60. It's not necessary to smear them together on your face, so I alternate them every couple of hours (again, RELIGIOUS!).

The website I posted before gives information about the quality of sunblocks on the market. Some sunscreens don't cover both UVA/UVB or PA (which is the REAL judging standard on sunblock efficacy).

What are you using at the moment?