Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
protoss

The Regimen Tweaked (Slightly)

To those who have lost hope,

I've been lurking through the forums for the past year and have experimented with the regimen until I found what was right for me. The forum has been very helpful for me, so I just wanted to give back.

background:

I have the same story as many, moderate/severe acne (with oily skin) on my face since the high school days. I tried everything from over-the-counter, proactiv, prescription, internal/external medicine, asian herbs, cheap to expensive products, fresh towel on the pillows, etc. Also, I would say my lifestyle is not the best, but I do work out 2-3 times/week with cardio and weight lifting (I heard protein shakes were bad for acne also), coffee daily, alcohol on weekends, and I get about 6-7 hours/sleep a day.

dan's regimen:

I started the regimen and did the whole program and then some with decent results, but nothing close to perfect. I stopped using it for a few months then came back to it by implementing a few products that helped.

products:

I buy everything from Target because it's cheaper and easy.

1. Neutrogena Pore Refining Cleanser -- A few of my friends with the clearest skin uses this (guys & girls). The key that it is light, cleans, makes pores smaller, and has both AHA and BHA to help sun damage/blackheads. ~$7

2. Neutrogena BP (2.5%) -- I only used the store bought one, which is probably costing more money but it's a lot cheaper then the other ineffective products out there. ~$6

3. Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture (Sensitive Skin) & Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture (SPF 15) -- One is for night, and one is for the day. If you don't put lotion, your skin will produce even more oil, so these two products are definitely the best. I probably don't need to mention that protection against the sun will save your skin (kids even know this). ~$10

Note: There's a reason I stick with a company focused on the face... they know their stuff.

other products:

Oil of Olay Refreshing Toner -- It's light, and its good for those who need a toner. ~$4

what I do:

Key principle still applies from Dan, wait at least 10 MINUTES between each product. Also, I never mix bp/toner together at anytime, it'll just make your skin dry/flake.

Bad Acne Morning: Cleanser, BP, Lotion

Quick Morning: Cleanser, Lotion

Normal Morning: Cleanser, Toner, Lotion

Evening: Cleanser, BP, Lotion

There is no quick evening, you must apply BP.

To be honest, I'm a lazy guy when it comes to face cleaning... so I tried to make it as easy as possible to get the results. As of right now, no new acne, but still some scars/belmishes from old acne. However the key is to allow your skin to cleanse and heal without having to battle new ones over and over... and over.

Well, that's my two cents. Good luck.

P.S. I got that fresh towel on pillows every night from Reddit... I still do it because honestly, it's pretty common sense that if you sleep on the same pillow every day... it's going to get dirty.

Edited by protoss