Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CelloIsLove

Would this be terribly disruptive of my sleep schedule?

I have a problem with rambling, so I'll cut straight to it-

I reap fantastical benefits from exercise, especially running.

However, it's way too hot here during the day to run, aside from the hoots and hollers I get :redface:

Yeah, my neighborhood is not a fantastic place to walk around in, much less run.

:redface::redface::redface:

Generally during the summer, I get to bed around 12-2am, because that's when my social life happens (I work during the day). Yeegreen1 and EddieE know what I mean :ninja:

No, I'm not going to bed earlier. Not till college starts

I always get at least 8 hours of sleep as well.

I'd like to start waking up around 5:30 am and going running, then coming back and sleeping more.

5:30 is perfect, because the sun is just starting to show its glow around the horizon, so it's not pitch black. And everyone is SLEEPING.

Sunset won't do because I'm still busy then, I've just eaten, and people are still out and about.

And nightfall either, unless I'd really like to get shanked.

Fantastic neighborhood, really.

What do you all say, in your expert opinions?

Thanks!

Go for it! An early morning run would be invigorating for the rest of your whole day. Do you think you can sleep again after you've run? Some have trouble sleeping right after exercise.

Runners I know do like going running in the early morning hours as it is cooler and there are fewer people about.

Probably your best bet. I like to go running at night because it's cool and no one is out but as you said it would interrupt your social life. For some reason running at night is a real adrenaline rush. Going to bed late seems to work okay as long as it's not terribly off course and you get a nice 8 hours + of sleep. I've have a problem where I just can't sleep for that long in one sitting all summer. I always wake up for no reason and can't go back to sleep till later. 8/

Go for it! An early morning run would be invigorating for the rest of your whole day. Do you think you can sleep again after you've run? Some have trouble sleeping right after exercise.

Runners I know do like going running in the early morning hours as it is cooler and there are fewer people about.

Thanks! :)

That's exactly what I'd like to know-will I be disrupting the deeper, imperative levels of sleep if I do this? I sometimes exercise before bed and sleep just fine, but it's a bit different now since it's in the middle of my sleep.

Aren't y'all scared of running at night? I would think it's dangerous... ?

mhm. It just makes you run faster though. Sometimes I bring my phone just in case but my neighborhood isn't all that dangerous. If it was winter or something I definitely wouldn't because of ice.

Aren't y'all scared of running at night? I would think it's dangerous... ?

If it's at 5:30, then it's *just* getting light out. Everyone's finally gone to bed, and there's still some light. I feel a lot more comfortable then than at like 11 at night. Especially in my neighborhood. I like my body free of bullet holes.

will I be disrupting the deeper, imperative levels of sleep if I do this?

This would be a cool experiment because it should significantly reduce the amount of melatonin your body produces daily and I would therefore predict a significant increase in the severity of acne and maybe with a little luck (in the sense of scientific curiosity) even the appearance of other skin diseases (e.g., psoriasis or rosacea). Please post what happens if you try this for a few weeks; I'm very curious to see what really happens!

This would be a cool experiment because it should significantly reduce the amount of melatonin your body produces daily and I would therefore predict a significant increase in the severity of acne and maybe with a little luck (in the sense of scientific curiosity) even the appearance of other skin diseases (e.g., psoriasis or rosacea). Please post what happens if you try this for a few weeks; I'm very curious to see what really happens!

Isn't this a little harsh of an estimation? I haven't slept a full 8 hours straight this entire summer for the most part and do not have severe acne or even worsened acne. I especially don't have any skin problems. Plus the benefit of running probably outweighs any negative effects.

will I be disrupting the deeper, imperative levels of sleep if I do this?

Thank-you for the bright outlook! I appreciate your honest opinion nonetheless.

I can pretty much clear myself from good daily aerobic exercise (like running), so it's possible that the benefits of that will outweigh the negative parts? I sleep pretty well-that is, I can fall asleep within a minute or two generally, so maybe that will help.

Basically, I can see that nobody knows for sure, so I'm going to try it for a week (God help me actually get out of bed >_<) and report back daily.

:]

I have a problem with rambling, so I'll cut straight to it-

I reap fantastical benefits from exercise, especially running.

However, it's way too hot here during the day to run, aside from the hoots and hollers I get :redface:

Yeah, my neighborhood is not a fantastic place to walk around in, much less run.

:redface: :redface: :redface:

Generally during the summer, I get to bed around 12-2am, because that's when my social life happens (I work during the day). Yeegreen1 and EddieE know what I mean :ninja:

No, I'm not going to bed earlier. Not till college starts

I always get at least 8 hours of sleep as well.

I'd like to start waking up around 5:30 am and going running, then coming back and sleeping more.

5:30 is perfect, because the sun is just starting to show its glow around the horizon, so it's not pitch black. And everyone is SLEEPING.

Sunset won't do because I'm still busy then, I've just eaten, and people are still out and about.

And nightfall either, unless I'd really like to get shanked.

Fantastic neighborhood, really.

What do you all say, in your expert opinions?

Thanks!

I would say to wake up at around 5:30 A.M and run, then go back to rest. That's hard to do, especially if you wake up very tire. You have to like force yourself up,etc. But you can do it, you have the energy. To be honest, you look great the way you are, but still need to run anyways for health and feel great :dance:. I am thinking of doing the same, but lifting weight. I would expect to see 3-4 people at gym instead of 20+ -_-

Edited by EddieE

You just have to try it. Although I think it would be better to run just after dawn so you get the benefit of the light exposure. Then stay up and take a siesta later in the afternoon. Mimicking the way they've done it in hot regions for centuries. They tend to stay up late, get up early and nap during the hottest part of the day.

I have actually done a lot of research on sleep cycles and such for my senior project so perhaps I can help a little haha

Throughout the night your brain/ body goes through a cycle of sleep stages that have different levels of brain activity and thus different effects on the body. Most of the "deep sleep" you're wondering about occurs early in the night; as the night goes on you spend less time in deep sleep where the brain waves are the slowest and spend longer periods of time in REM sleep, where brain waves are nearly as fast as when awake.

Thus, if you wake yourself unnaturally 3-5 hours into your sleep, there's a higher chance that you will awaken during a deep stage of sleep, which is in fact disrupting your cycle. You feel more fatigued throughout the day if you wake up in the middle of these stages. If you let yourself awaken on your own you will usually wake up during a REM stage (you may have noticed that if left to wake up naturally you often wake right from a dream, and dreams occur almost exclusively in REM sleep).

The longer you sleep, the longer the periods of REM will become (REM=rapid eye movement). As I said this is when dreaming occurs but also when some scientists believe the most developmental and memory processes take place. Babies actually spend more than half their sleep in REM, and that percentage goes down with age. It suggests that REM is crucial for developmental processes. I won't go into all the studies on REM that I researched but in short, REM is really important for everybody and experiments show that losing this kind of sleep affects you more than any other stage. If you wake up only 3 to 5 hours into sleep, you're missing out on a lot of your REM sleep. Going back to bed for a few hours probably won't help much either because although your body will adjust and take you through the other stages faster to REM, you still are starting the cycle over and adding more confusion to your circadian rhythm, which is what regulates your mind and body throughout the whole 24 hour cycle. This disruption is what causes fatigue, irritability, and thus stress.

This doesn't mean you'll die if you get up and run at 5:30 haha I don't mean to say that or sound all nerdy but 5 hours isn't really enough sleep and hopefully now you can understand a little bit about why it isn't enough. I'll be the first to admit that I do not sleep good but I also suffer the consequences of headaches and fatigue. My suggestion is to join a gym and use a treadmill if you don't want to feel weird or be in mortal peril haha. The best time is in the morning or early evening (before dinner) because the rhythm of the body that regulates temperature, metabolism, etc. has naturally made us ready for the most activity in the morning and in the evening, with a lull in the middle of the day.

I'm sorry if this is long or if it makes no sense to you but hopefully it helps :]