Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purpleiris

Best concealer/foundation for very pale, heavily red-marked & lightly scarred skin

Hey everyone! I'm new here, but hopefully someone can help me out. I am 16 years old and have suffered from acne for the past six years. I have been on both doxycycline and more often tetracycline, and while both have not completely rid me of my acne, they have helped to the point where my acne is manageable enough. I get bad breakouts every now and then, but I have already decided against going on Accutane so for now, I've learned to deal with it.

Although I have accepted my acne and scars and red marks, I'm a 16 year old girl- and if we're being realistic, I'm not quite ready to go out in public (primarily school, but everywhere else as well) in all my "glory". I have a very pale complexion (not a "pretty", alabaster or creamy pale complexion, but moreso a "really needs a tan" kind of pale) so all of my red marks and scars are very visible without any makeup on. I know I have acne scars, but most of them are just on the surface (there are some VERY shallow, minuscule scars in smaller groupings that are not quite ice-picks, but they are not completely flat either) so they have the tendency to look like red marks. Those- combined with new red marks and older red marks that have faded to brown/purplish shades- on top of my pale skin does not make for a very attractive look, to say the least.

Over the past two years I've tried a number of foundations and concealers, but so far none of them have been quite right for my skin. It's difficult finding products in a light enough shade to not look orangey on me, so my selection has been pretty limited. The products that I have found in a shade light enough for me, however, are sometimes too light and require heavy application... and then my face ends up look fake and cakey sometimes. I've recently tried Dermablend Smooth Indulgence and it does a pretty good job of covering up the scars, but still looks a little cakey/orange sometimes. So, FINALLY... my question is: what would be the best concealer, foundation, and/or powder for someone with 1) a very pale complexion 2) sensitive skin (I need makeup that won't make my acne any worse since I'm not going on accutane) and 3) red/brown/purple marks everywhere? I don't expect to be able to cover up every flaw and every imperfection, but I do want my makeup to make my face look better, not worse. Huge thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out! :)

I am really pale as well and had a hard hard time finding the right shades, but I've stumbled on magic! :]

I wear this foundation in #3

The onnnnnnnly concealer that works for me

Then if you feel like setting your makeup which I usually do, I put Smashbox Halo Powder on top.

Hope this helps you out. They are expensive but I think when it comes to foundations and concealers you can't skimp because it makes a big difference and there is a definite quality difference.

Thank you so much! If no one else posts with anything else that's a tiny, tiny bit cheaper, then I will most definitely look into those. I definitely am with you on the price being worth it, though... so far the most expensive makeup I've bought is Dermablend, but I think I've reached the point where I've tried all of the more affordable drugstore makeups and I've decided it's time for me to stop experimenting and find what really works for me. :) Again, thanks a bunch!

I can totally understand that. Yeah the amount of money we spend on all the drugstore ones eventually adds up! And none of them work for me at least. I can understand your hesitation though they are expensive. You can always get samples from Sephora or like Macy's :) Anytime!

I recommend getting some concealer and foundation samples from Meow Cosmetics (mineral makeup). They have many many shades and go very light. I mean, albino white. Do a search for Meow on this message board to read more.

The only thing about mmu is you have to have the right tools to even try it out. You need a good synthetic kabuki brush and a good synthetic concealer brush. Even if you decided mmu is not for you, you can still use these brushes--the kabuki for powder or bronzer, and the concealer brush for liquid concealer or even eye shadow.

bek_cogent: Thank you so much again! I didn't think of getting samples, but whenever I'm at Macy's next (there's no Sephora near me :( ) I will look for some!

Sharpy: I will do a search! I've heard good things about kabuki brushes, but they've always been too expensive for me to splurge on without the right makeup to use with them... I will look around again and see what I can find. Thank you so much!! :)

bek_cogent: Thank you so much again! I didn't think of getting samples, but whenever I'm at Macy's next (there's no Sephora near me :( ) I will look for some!

Sharpy: I will do a search! I've heard good things about kabuki brushes, but they've always been too expensive for me to splurge on without the right makeup to use with them... I will look around again and see what I can find. Thank you so much!! :)

Aw man okay. Yeah try that because then you know if you REALLY like it or not before you buy it :) And if you do Sephora has a great return policy and free shipping over $50 just fyi. I love shopping there haha idk if you can tell! Anyway, I'll try to find some more options for you. Aveeno's tinted moisturizer isn't bad for just an in between thing. <3 Bobbi Brown has my favorite Kabuki brush ever but it's probably expensive I forget how much. Other brands have nice options too though.

$10 synthetic kabuki brushes: http://www.choicebrush.com/mbrush.php?op=c...&cat=Kabuki

I have 4 (or 5?) of these and love them. Make sure you don't order the natural hair one by mistake--those are rough. And gross.

Meow has a brush called "Brown Faux Angled Sculptor" that seems like it would work for concealer. It's $5.85. http://www.meowcosmetics.com/brushes.htm I don't have it though.

Edited by Sharpy

I just looked and Choice Brush has some even cheaper synthetic eye shadow brushes that would probably work for concealer (I've been talking about mineral powder concealer this whole time). http://bit.ly/aJ1Tmt (I can't get the full URL to post correctly--that's why I shortened it). The 2nd and 3rd ones from the top. $3.85.

Edited by Sharpy

Wow, purpleiris, you really "look" like me :D. I'm also very pale, has lot of red marks and it's rare I find makeup I like. But I really like the powder from Clearface. Idk if it's good or not, since it's the only powder I've tried XD

Get some zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide sunblock (maybe try Neutrogena Pure and Free Baby or better yet, Vanicream Sport, both of which are matte) Since you're pale, add a medium light shade of loose mineral powder (I use Bare Essentuals new Matte mineral powder) Blend in the palm of your hand...about 50-50, or whatever works for you...experiment!. Mix well, then apply to your face and for coverage, use a tapping motion, blending outward. Practice, so you find the right amount to apply, the right ratio of mineral powder to sunblock, and get your application method perfected. Tweak it until you get it right. You can look flawless this way. Gotta practice though. Good luck!

@bek_cogent: I really, really appreciate all the help you've given me. :) The free shipping at Sephora actually sounds great since I'm going to need new makeup when school starts (not just foundation/concealer but also mascara and eyeliner and stuff... I probably sound so makeup-obsessed right now :P ) anyway... so I may just take advantage of that! Anyway, thank you so much! <3

@Sharpy: Oooh, awesome! Thanks a bunch! :) If I decide to order any, I'll definitely be sure to order the synthetic ones... not so sure I want goat hair on my face, even if it is sanitized. :P

@Annatar: Ah, it's good to know I'm not the only one! :D I looked up the Clearface powder and it looks like the company that makes it is outside of the U.S. (I'm in the U.S.), but I will keep looking though to see if there are any stores here in the U.S. that carry it. Thanks a ton for the suggestion! :)

@UrbanSkin: I actually have Neutrogena Sensitive Skin "purescreen" sunblock with both titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, so I'll try that with some generic brand mineral powder that I already have until I can find a better mineral powder. Oh, and I appreciate the tips on how to mix it together and apply! Thanks so much! :)

I was really surprised to see so many more replies... thank you all so much for helping me out! :) <3

edit- apparently I really like my smilie faces. I guess I'm doing a good job of showing my age!

Edited by purpleiris

@bek_cogent: I really, really appreciate all the help you've given me. :) The free shipping at Sephora actually sounds great since I'm going to need new makeup when school starts (not just foundation/concealer but also mascara and eyeliner and stuff... I probably sound so makeup-obsessed right now :P ) anyway... so I may just take advantage of that! Anyway, thank you so much! <3

@Sharpy: Oooh, awesome! Thanks a bunch! :) If I decide to order any, I'll definitely be sure to order the synthetic ones... not so sure I want goat hair on my face, even if it is sanitized. :P

@Annatar: Ah, it's good to know I'm not the only one! :D I looked up the Clearface powder and it looks like the company that makes it is outside of the U.S. (I'm in the U.S.), but I will keep looking though to see if there are any stores here in the U.S. that carry it. Thanks a ton for the suggestion! :)

@UrbanSkin: I actually have Neutrogena Sensitive Skin "purescreen" sunblock with both titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, so I'll try that with some generic brand mineral powder that I already have until I can find a better mineral powder. Oh, and I appreciate the tips on how to mix it together and apply! Thanks so much! :)

I was really surprised to see so many more replies... thank you all so much for helping me out! :) <3

edit- apparently I really like my smilie faces. I guess I'm doing a good job of showing my age!

Haha I like smiley faces too! Nothing wrong with that, just means we smile a lot in person too :);)

Anyway I love to help! If you have any questions just ask. Yeah I love their free shipping over $50, because let's face it the order usually is hahaha. Darnit. New makeup for school is a good thing, you don't sound obsessed at all. Some people just enjoy makeup :) Also if you sign up for their Beauty Insider program (totally free... no strings) you can get 3 free samples and other cool stuff like being able to buy new products before anyone else. If you enjoy that sort of thing :) <3

Hi I have very fair skin. My HG concealer for ref marks/red zit marks is mac studio fix concealer. I've tried several other brands but they weren't...ummm..concealing enough :P but better suited for the under eye area. Revlon's colorstay foundation us also a foundation I like because it's cheap and high coverage. I'm a makeup junkie, lol. You could also try mineral foundation(I use EDM) but I don't find it to be as high coverage, but it looks good still.

I'm also extremely pale with red marks. I like to use a green tinted concealer to spot conceal larger red marks. I know it sounds weird, but green and red are opposite colours. So putting one on the other has a very neutralizing effect. Physicians Formula is a great line of non-comedogenic products and they have many colour correcting concealers and powders. They also have a talc-free mineral line.

^ Yes Physician's Formula has an awesome powder concealer called Mineral Wear Talc-Free correcting powder. It has pink, yellow and green powders swirled into either translucent or "natural colored" powder. It really evens out my pale skin which is covered with red marks.

Also I just wanted to reiterate what bek said about Sephora. Their return policy is great, you can return stuff after you've tried it. So while it is a pain to buy something and ship it back, at least you get your money back :)

The only liquid foundation I can think of that covered my marks good is Revlon's PhotoReady. I only used it about 5 times though before I dropped the bottle and spilled it all, so I'm not sure if it would have caused any breakouts. I don't wear a lot of foundation but when I do it's either Bare Minerals or Physician's Formula.

Let us know which one you end up trying! :)

bek_cogent: sounds like I'll be frequenting Sephora's website quite often during the next month! The new products/samples thing sounds fabulous. And if I have any more questions, I will be sure to ask ya! Thanks so much, once again <3 :)

HildeM: Believe it or not, I've yet to try any MAC makeup at all, including concealer/foudation. As popular as it is and as amazing as it sounds, I've never gotten around to trying it... but perhaps I will in the near future! I think I may have tried Revlon Colorstay before, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll look it up again to see if I remember. Thanks a bunch for the suggestions! :D

Zeerobots: Hmmm, I've never thought of that! It seems like a simple enough concept... even if putting on green concealer might take some getting used to. :P I know they carry a number of Physician's Formula products at my local CVS so I'll take a look the next time I'm there. Thanks a ton! :)

Skylyre: Thank you so much! It's great to have someone confirm the positive comments about some of the products already mentioned (not that I didn't believe the people that mentioned them in the first place, but extra reassurance can't hurt, right? :D). And I know how you feel about spilling the liquid foundation... I've spilled half-bottles more times than I care to count. :D Thanks again!

As for new things I've tried since posting this thread- I bought a reasonably priced kabuki brush and some Neutrogena mineral sheers loose powder foundation with spf 20 (my temporary, cheap product for experimenting) at Target last week, but haven't really tried them out yet since I try to limit my makeup usage during the summer. Even if the makeup I use is hypoallergenic/oil-free, I know that covering my face in it every day isn't a good idea. When it gets closer to the end of the summer, I'll let you guys know everything I've tried and tell you what's worked best for me :) Again, thank you all so, so much... I really appreciate all of your comments! <3