Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
User116745

An issue with some members on this forum.

When a member on this forum makes a post about their negative experience/side effects on Accutane, do not put them down.

Although this drug may have worked for you without any terrible side effects, believe me when I say others have not been so lucky. Be very careful what you post as these members are likely depressed and possibly on the verge of suicide.

Just because some claim to be experiencing side effects that seem absurd to you does not mean they are wrong and over exaggerating.

I went into the course of this drug with the same mind set as everyone else, that being the listed side effects could NEVER happen to me! And my dermatologist cares about me and would never lie to me!

Sadly, I was wrong.

So please, next time you read an Accutane horror story, do not call them a liar. Instead thank them for sharing their experience with this community.

Remember they came here for our support and help, not an argument.

Edited by Teh Pwn

Word. It's easy to just go "Pfffft, yeah right" and ignore the possibilities, but stubborn dismissals like that only serve to underpin their own fear of the unknown. In the end people believe what they want to believe, -- myself included -- and some will convince themselves of whatever it is that makes them feel better.

It makes me uneasy to think that the exact same drug I am praising for its success in my case has been such a nightmare for others... So while I have no issue with people voicing praise for accutane (and I feel that a lot of paranoid nay-sayers demonize it unfairly) we are in no place to argue with someone who has genuinely suffered, and probably still is suffering first-hand as a direct result of the treatment.

Edited by Werkzeug

If you are depressed & on the verge of suicide it is not because of accutane, seek professional help.

I also have a problem with people posting their 'opinions' based on sketchy or NO science. They blame accutane for so many things & spend so much time & effort blaming with OCD tunnel vision that they can't see the truth & get the help they need.

I will continue to post the TRUTH & argue anyone that posts unsubstantiated feelings as facts about accutane.

And OP, seek professional help.

Crap, I thought this was from July 2011, not 2010. Sorry!

Edited by Beauty Bot

Guest Timehealsall

im so scared to take accutane..

I can't imagine a grown woman digging up posts in order to tell people they couldn't possibly have side effects from accutane.

My daughter at fourteen was prescribed 80 mg per day of accutane by her Stanford med school dermatologist even though she only weighed 110 pounds. She was one of those non-existent people who managed to have her white blood cell count drop very low and ended up having breathing and weakness problems in ballet. She had to go off the accutane while her acne shredded her skin which had been made fragile by the high dose accutane. So instead of preventing scarring, she now has severe facial scarring. Some wonder drug.

How about you come down here to the states and teach our dermatologists how to prescribe accutane properly so the non-existent side-effects that patients sign away their lives about don't actually happen to people.

Sheesh.

If you are being prescribed accutane by a dermatologist who isn't prescribing a high dose, you'll probably be okay. The side effects with accutane tend to be dosage related and you'll notice most people who have long-term side effects have been treated with high dosages....which only happens in the United States as far as I can tell.

I can't imagine a grown woman digging up posts in order to tell people they couldn't possibly have side effects from accutane.

My daughter at fourteen was prescribed 80 mg per day of accutane by her Stanford med school dermatologist even though she only weighed 110 pounds. She was one of those non-existent people who managed to have her white blood cell count drop very low and ended up having breathing and weakness problems in ballet. She had to go off the accutane while her acne shredded her skin which had been made fragile by the high dose accutane. So instead of preventing scarring, she now has severe facial scarring. Some wonder drug.

How about you come down here to the states and teach our dermatologists how to prescribe accutane properly so the non-existent side-effects that patients sign away their lives about don't actually happen to people.

Sheesh.

That's not necessarily accutane to blame, any drug is dangerous when you consumer over the recommended dose. It was irresponsible, and unprofessional of the derm to do that but you and your daughter should have also researched into dosages.

If you are being prescribed accutane by a dermatologist who isn't prescribing a high dose, you'll probably be okay. The side effects with accutane tend to be dosage related and you'll notice most people who have long-term side effects have been treated with high dosages....which only happens in the United States as far as I can tell.

I am sorry about your daughter. Absolutely horrible. While I am not trying to argue with you, I am also not quite sure I agree with you either. I was on 120mg a day (130lbs) for 5 months (80mg the first 2) and I did not have any side effects. Maybe I was lucky, who knows. I am on a 3rd course and maybe this time I won't be fine. Again, who knows, but I feel as though it is up to our individual makeup in how we will react to the drug.

That's not necessarily accutane to blame, any drug is dangerous when you consumer over the recommended dose. It was irresponsible, and unprofessional of the derm to do that but you and your daughter should have also researched into dosages.

That's what I pay professional doctors to do.

And, unfortunately, the drug manufacturers state that it is okay to prescribe that amount.

Edited by hellohellohello

I am sorry about your daughter. Absolutely horrible. While I am not trying to argue with you, I am also not quite sure I agree with you either. I was on 120mg a day (130lbs) for 5 months (80mg the first 2) and I did not have any side effects. Maybe I was lucky, who knows. I am on a 3rd course and maybe this time I won't be fine. Again, who knows, but I feel as though it is up to our individual makeup in how we will react to the drug.

Lucky you. Why are people insisting that people don't have side effects when it's pretty clear with a black box drug, we have all read about them. The poster doesn't believe the medical liability release form she signed?

Lucky you. Why are people insisting that people don't have side effects when it's pretty clear with a black box drug, we have all read about them. The poster doesn't believe the medical liability release form she signed?

I'm not quite sure I understand exactly what your asking, but I'll give it a shot. As for me, this is what I understand in how drugs work; a new drug is made and then they do a trial study. Whatever side effects that happen ( wheather from the drug or not, as in they would have had it happen regardless) to the patients in that study, they must say can be a potential side effect. I myself knowing this, took it in consideration. I also put some others factors into my decision such as, how long the drug has been on the market and how many people have taken it. I do I agree that there is some risk involved, but for me I felt it was no more a risk than my advair I take for my asthma on a daily basis for the past 5+ years. The risk of that drug I feel could be even more serious since there has actually been people who have died on it. No one has died on accutane. There is always risks with every drug we put into our bodies and only us as individual can decide if the risks are worth it.

I'm not quite sure I understand exactly what your asking, but I'll give it a shot. As for me, this is what I understand in how drugs work; a new drug is made and then they do a trial study. Whatever side effects that happen ( wheather from the drug or not, as in they would have had it happen regardless) to the patients in that study, they must say can be a potential side effect. I myself knowing this, took it in consideration. I also put some others factors into my decision such as, how long the drug has been on the market and how many people have taken it. I do I agree that there is some risk involved, but for me I felt it was no more a risk than my advair I take for my asthma on a daily basis for the past 5+ years. The risk of that drug I feel could be even more serious since there has actually been people who have died on it. No one has died on accutane. There is always risks with every drug we put into our bodies and only us as individual can decide if the risks are worth it.

My issue is not with you. My issue is with people who knowingly deny that accutane has side effects and go around taunting people on this board who do have side effects. The drug has a blackbox warning for a reason. Everytime I come up to read in this section there seems to be someone doing it. I can't tell you how angry it makes me and I'm sure others who have suffered side effects. Honestly, the people who do it sound like paid drug company shills.

My issue is not with you. My issue is with people who knowingly deny that accutane has side effects and go around taunting people on this board who do have side effects. The drug has a blackbox warning for a reason. Everytime I come up to read in this section there seems to be someone doing it. I can't tell you how angry it makes me and I'm sure others who have suffered side effects. Honestly, the people who do it sound like paid drug company shills.

Yes, I see your point. I may be a little guilty. I mean, I never deny that their is side effects and I most definitely do not taunt others who have had side effects, but I do have to control myself in that I just love this drug! For me, it did wonders and I am so so grateful for that. I think that people on this board who have had such an awesome experience just don't realize that not everyone was as lucky. Again, I'm really sorry Bout your daughter. I would feel so devastated if that happened to me. I honestly am not sure how I would cope. How is she doing today?

You can't really trust "trial studies." The problem with trial studies, is that they work on a much smaller sample of people. Over 13 million people have taken accutane, so you're going to get completely different results in the real life application of a drug. Also drug companies pay people to say positive things about their product. Take Roche, for example. They're the makers of Accutane. Their market cap is 138 billion dollars. Would a company worth 138 billion dollars not use a basic marketing strategy to make themselves appear trustworthy?

When has Accutane been advertised? I've never seen any commercials or anything of the sort. It is a medicine with known side effects. Yes, it has side effects, but it works differently for everyone. Hellohellohello, I apologize and truly feel sorry for your daughter. It is unfortunate that she was prescribed 80 mg at 110 pounds. That seems very unreasonable. I have had a lot of success with Accutane. It worked well for me, but I acknowledge the fact that people have suffered because they've taken Accutane.