Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Honda91

Zinc and acne

I've had moderate/severe acne for about a year now and it was just starting to go away and all I had was scars left and a few break outs around my mouth, now my skin is going crazy all the acne I had before is coming back and my face is looking horrible, I was reading about taking a zinc supplement and have be on it for about 5 days now. I need some help here!

I take a chelated zinc suppliment every day with my dinner.

I also take a general multi-vitamin with breakfast.

The combination of vitamins A & C, with Zinc seems to work very well.

It's more long-term though; it might take a few weeks for you to see any effect, but after a month or so your skin will be glowing and you'll find fewer and fewer new spots appearing.

It also helps to fade red marks, although they might have faded anyway, I have no way of knowing!

Zinc did more harm than good but Zinc Gluconate is working well

Different people have different results.

boss did zinc break you out? I've been taking it hoping it would help oil production and inflamation

zinc will not break you out. Someone who says it does probably experienced an unfortunate coincidence. Zinc does help with breakouts, in a preventive measure, not so much in healing active acne. Careful with zinc however, the worst side effect is nausea.

Zinc healed my red marks sufficiently. I'm pleased with the effects zinc has on my skin and for a couple of pound for a tub you can't really comnplain. Does nothing for my oily skin however.

Zinc may cause a very minor breakout to begin with, but will begin to take positive effect if you keep at it.

I take 30mg of Zinc everyday. I used to take 60mg, but now i'm taking high vitamin c & e tablets so don't feel the need to take as much as 60mg.

The RDA is 15mg, but its usually safe enough to take up to about 60mg. I wouldn't go over that though.

Never take Zinc on an empty stomach, because it can cause an upset stomach.

zinc did not do much for me, I used it for 3.5 months. I just kinda gave up, I may have not given it long enough though.

Zinc can work wonders as a preventative for acne. It promotes super healthy skin and hair. You do not get an initial breakout from it though. And it does not really help with any active zits, just helps prevent them. It can however, works wonders for red marks.

For dosage, I'd say take 40mg a day (20mg twice a day). That seems to be what works the best for people. Anything higher appears to just be pointless as it does only what 40mg does still. And less does nothing at all. Zinc will take a while to show results (it's a preventative, so it will show under your skin. Taking a while for your skin to cycle).

Just remember that long term zinc supplementation should be accompanied by a copper supplement.